Fan temp switch

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
GordonBH

Fan temp switch

Post by GordonBH »

Hi All,
My 07 SB fan comes on at 160/165 and that means even in Spring temperatures it's on/off/on/off in town :frustrated:

I'd like it to come on later, say 185 and found a link somewhere to this "Painless Performance Temperature Sending Units 30111"

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/p ... /overview/

It looks right and would save my fan motor in the long run. Am I right this is the baby I seek?

Also any tips on fitting, it looks really straightforward, lift front of tank, wires off, unscrew, apply PTFE tape to new one and tighten. I guess I won't be able to torque it due to the tabs on the switch and the proximity of the motor mount but I thought hand tight then a 8th turn?

Advice appreciated

:england:
Gordon from England
502wingman

Re: Fan temp switch

Post by 502wingman »

Yes, it is easy to change and install on the SB. On the BB it is a pain because the radiator has be moved.

I personally find 185 still to low. I am using one that comes on at 210. 210 is a regular operating temperature for these engines in cars etc. This way my fan only comes on at traffic lights in town and very hot summer days.
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
mdwdvm

Post by mdwdvm »

Has anyone had experience with the adjustable electronic fan controls? They're more expensive but seem to allow you to easily adjust temperature on and off settings.

On a somewhat related note - on my 2000 SB I wired in a 3 position switch that sits on my instrument panel that allows me to force the fan on, to shut the fan off, or to leave the fan in normal operation as controlled by the temperature switch. I'm in the habit of checking the 3 way switch position when I start up to insure its in the normal operation setting to avoid unplanned overheating. I use the on setting as I'm coming into a town or stop and go traffic where I know it's going to heat up and I occasionally use the off setting when I roll into a parking lot or down a short strip of street where I don't want to hear the fan whining over that sweet engine sound. I also have dash panel light that comes on when the fan is running.......and I've thought about wiring in an indicator light that is one when I have it in the 'off' position, but just haven't done it. Not something everyone would want, but I find it useful for me.
Mike Wallace - Watertown, MN
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

I installed an adjustable fan switch many years ago. It costs more and more complicated to install, but you get the setting you want. I have heard of many of the preset ones being different than the specifications.

Shane
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I agree with Peter , on at 205-210 and off at 180-185 works great . My fan never comes on unless sitting in traffic on a warm day .
Puff

Post by Puff »

I have the 160 on my '01 SB.
I also have a 2-position switch
installed where one way is "stock",
and the other is "off".
Believe me, the 160 fan switch will
"let" our fan motors run a LOT !
I shut it off when I get on the highway.
I also believe that if I just leave the
switch in the "stock" setting, and drive
in the high heat here(Tn), that while the
fan is "on" when I am on the highway,
that it actually hinders airflow.
I find when shutting it off while on the highway,
the bike actually cools better.
Bill Van Sant

Clint44

Post by Clint44 »

hogv8 wrote:I agree with Peter ,on at 205-210 and off at 180-185 works great .
A NAPA FS-120 sensor will accomplish that. That's what I had on our trike and it worked fine.
Clint & Sherry
2006 Boss Hoss 57 trike (sold)