Let's talk drag bars

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Let's talk drag bars

Post by V8Bikers »

For those that have them:

- How does the bike handle compared to the beach bars?

- Do you prefer the look?

- Did you ever regret putting them on?

- Did you use a one piece bar or risers and a separate bar?

- Rubber mounting between riser and tree, bar end weights, both, or nothing?

- Anyone with a Mountain big speedo/tach setup that has done this (it looks like that assembly mounts with 4 screws to the top of the riser).

- Did you just get a rough measurement with tape measure, holding hands at the desired location? If so, did they come out correct if you had them custom made?

Have already looked at Burly Bars and Carlini.
Photos and links would be much appreciated.

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Re: Let's talk drag bars

Post by CanuckHoss »

For those that have them:

- How does the bike handle compared to the beach bars?

i have a bad / weak back and find that with drag bars I don't have the control over rough surfaces and real slow speeds as I do with the beach bars. Good possibility I would eventually drop the bike. We brought in a 2005 502 with drag bars last year so I could compare it to stock on mine. Having the beach bars is like grabbing a bull by the horns for control. Someone with a stronger back would probably not have an issue

- Do you prefer the look?

yes...but refer to above as to why i dont use drag bars

- Did you ever regret putting them on?

- Did you use a one piece bar or risers and a separate bar?

both are one piece..better looks I believe

- Rubber mounting between riser and tree, bar end weights, both, or nothing?

nothing

- Anyone with a Mountain big speedo/tach setup that has done this (it looks like that assembly mounts with 4 screws to the top of the riser).

- Did you just get a rough measurement with tape measure, holding hands at the desired location? If so, did they come out correct if you had them custom made?

In this link

http://www.destinationcycles.com/BossHoss-SOLD.htm

go to the blue 2008 Boss Hoss SS SOLD and see the bars on it..a SB

and then go to this link
http://www.destinationcycles.com/BossHoss-4-Sale.htm

and see the bars on the 2005 Boss Hoss 502 Big Block

Hope this helps Bill
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
Mark

Post by Mark »

I like the look of drag bars but handling of the bike with beach bars is better.

Mark
image.jpg
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Post by V8Bikers »

Thanks for the feedback and pics gents! I have to say after looking at the photos that I'm not crazy about the look - maybe it is just those particular bars? or because the beach bars are closer to the height of the tank?

I like a more beefier look rather than spindly. Hmmm, I'll keep looking and maybe they will grow on me. I really need to at least sit on and ultimately ride one before making a decision.

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

V8Bikers wrote:Thanks for the feedback and pics gents! I have to say after looking at the photos that I'm not crazy about the look - maybe it is just those particular bars? or because the beach bars are closer to the height of the tank?

I like a more beefier look rather than spindly. Hmmm, I'll keep looking and maybe they will grow on me. I really need to at least sit on and ultimately ride one before making a decision.
From our shop and customers experience....generally speaking...drag bars on any bike do not give you the control that a wider normal bar does..be it Harley..Yamaha or Boss Hoss. I am with your decision..you need to ride a Hoss first with them on.
CanuckHoss

Mark

Post by Mark »

Bill, you have to like the looks of dragbars- or its just not worth installing due to lack of control and comfort. Just my opinion.

Maybe one more style to share with you:
image.jpg
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Post by V8Bikers »

Mark,

Now that is what I'm talking about! Those look really good and flow well with the lines of the bike. It looks like they are a wider diameter than the 1.5 in? Do you know who makes them and who owns the bike?

DeLand, FL.

Mark

Post by Mark »

The bike you see in the pic is called "Black Scorpion" and was built by Ernst Fried. Don't know who manufactured the drag bar. Please see contact details at:

http://www.bosshosscycles.de/index.php/dealer-55

The handlebar has a "beefier" look in particular due to the little rim running along the top of the drag bar.

Mark
Swiss V8

Post by Swiss V8 »

V8Bikers wrote:Mark,

Now that is what I'm talking about! Those look really good and flow well with the lines of the bike. It looks like they are a wider diameter than the 1.5 in? Do you know who makes them and who owns the bike?
Like Mark said, it was built by Ernst Fried a Boss Hoss Dealer in southern Germany. The bike sold last year to a Swiss Guy.
Martin

BHRA President Europe
Butkicker

Post by Butkicker »

Had drag bars on my 2001 with 8" risers worked well very comfortable would do again but new style on trike are just as good not a fan of beech bars bike feels loose to me
Ric

Post by Ric »

I can 'handle' the beach bars… but the wrist alignment is wrong. my hands turn outward, and not in straight alignment with the wrist. I find the same problem with the hundreds of stock and custom handlebars for Harleys and other bikes. Not a fan at all with drag bars, but to each his own.

I plan on making a set of lower Apes with the correct wrist angle. I'm a long distance rider, and the beach bars give me fatigue between the shoulder blades and the back of the neck after eight hours of riding in a day. I suspect that wrist angle might be part of the problem. I plan on making a jig from soft type 'L' copper tubing to get the height and angles right… then I'll find the right steel and the mandrel benders to get the tight bends that most manufactured bars achieve.

I've searched every aftermarket venue, and shop books for what I'm after, although there are some that are close… the wrist angle is wrong.

What perplexes me is… how is it that almost every manufacturer of motorcycle handlebars don't have the correct 'in alignment' with the wrist to the forearm on every type of bars made. Interestingly enough, the closest to perfection on this anomaly is the 'drag bars'.

It's understood that if one were to manufacture (fab up their own bars) they would have to gets the raisers just right as well. On a heavy V8 bike, you don't want the Apes to be much or any taller than the stock bars. Or you wind up making a long riding day a miserable one.

As Barry mentioned… slow riding in uneven parking lots, or grass areas where you might attend in a bike rally… could spell trouble if your bars are too narrow, or too tall… and likely even too short. It's a difficult gamble to try and order what you think you need, only to be not happy with what you receive.

It's understood that there aren't many Boss Hoss owners with complaints about stock beach bars because many of them don't have either the time or inclination to ride from California to Florida each year… so the shorter distances they put on their bikes, find that the stock bars are fine. And there are even a few cats out there who rack up 15 + thousand miles each year that are totally fine with the stock set up.

I understand what you are after Bill… but for me, I can't find what I'm after… so as per my usual way… I'll just MAKE what I need.

"Keep the magic alive!" He said.

Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

Bill, We need to meet up some weekend soon and I will let you ride my scoot. While you will probably get bored from the lack of power, but between naps You will notice that the 14" Apes I have on the bike are Quite Comfortable. For me, They have everything that Ric is looking for in a set of bars. Relaxed Shoulders, correct wrist / forearm orientation and comfortable weight and leverage to steer the front end with.
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

petitemoose wrote:Bill, We need to meet up some weekend soon and I will let you ride my scoot. While you will probably get bored from the lack of power, but between naps You will notice that the 14" Apes I have on the bike are Quite Comfortable. For me, They have everything that Ric is looking for in a set of bars. Relaxed Shoulders, correct wrist / forearm orientation and comfortable weight and leverage to steer the front end with.
I sat on Dennis's bike in Daytona...did not ride it. The bars felt really comfortable and seemed like they would do well in high mileage situations...from my perspective anyway.

I beleive Frank..AKA Kirby Coupe on the other site has pretty much the same bars on his trike.

Ric..keep in mind I have a friend who builds custom bars if you need. Mock up what you think is perfect and he will do the rest.
CanuckHoss

Butkicker

Post by Butkicker »

Hey Bill check out Heli bars they are totally adjustable couple friends have on their Harley's an like a lot I was looking at for my goldwing but sold bike as new trike is my best ride an wing sat it hurt neck an shoulder due to bar an wrist angle
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Post by V8Bikers »

petitemoose wrote:Bill, We need to meet up some weekend soon and I will let you ride my scoot. While you will probably get bored from the lack of power, but between naps You will notice that the 14" Apes I have on the bike are Quite Comfortable. For me, They have everything that Ric is looking for in a set of bars. Relaxed Shoulders, correct wrist / forearm orientation and comfortable weight and leverage to steer the front end with.
Thanks for the offer Dennis. I may put this on the back burner for now. I'm trying to figure how to keep the six gauges I have now with a different bar setup. With the beach bars you have a lot of space to work with and my gauges do not rotate or swivel at all.

DeLand, FL.