Electrical upgrade

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Ric

Electrical upgrade

Post by Ric »

The pic below is a view of the new Bluesea w/negative buss fuse box many have installed on their bikes or trikes. Note the heat/shrink tubing with printed writing to identify the wires and where they lead. Not all the factory printing on the wires remained after the oily mess the rat's nest was around the battery. It took a bit to figure out where each wire was, and or went. THEN… I put clear nail polish on the writing so that the letters would last, even after getting dirty fingerprints all over them… LOL

The next pic below is the 'snake skin' covering that I ran all 'non-protected wires along the backbone under the gas tank for accessories, and stuff like new wires such as my heated vest plug set… And a wire that was run to my transmission temp. sensor… etc. Once you have the 'snake skin' in place… you just hit it with a heat gun to sear the frayed ends so it won't unravel.

Note the new PC925 Oddessy battery, and the rat's nest of wiring was cleaned up in this compartment… it was a sad looking highway of wires that seemed to have no direction. I can even see the Master relay now! I wasn't even sure where it WAS before this project! Also note the water-tite Duetcher connections (I installed about 20 of them all over the bike). And that little yellow calculator thing in the back ground is a KSUN printer for labels and heat shrink tubing. Wish I had this unit years ago! I also cleaned up that rat's nest of wiring under the gas tank as well!

"Keep the magic alive!" He said.

Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Re: Electrical upgrade

Post by Carl La Fong »

Looks nice. I tried to save my harness, but it had been violated too many times, so I chucked 90% of it. So far, no fires or the release of the magic smoke
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Very very neat Ric,

Love that labelling machine, great idea. And I have to take out the battery to get to the master sol. so I'll consider re-wiring to help get in there.
Gordon from England
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

I gave the master rely the heave ho. No vehicle that I've ever owned or worked on had a master relay. I've wired several cars with Painless harnesses and they, also, had no master relay. I consider it a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Nice job Ric. I think it would have been great if the factory did it, but for fifty grand you shouldn't EXPECT sanitary wiring. If the BH factory engineers added a master relay that GM, FORD, CHRYSLER etc, forgot, they did it because after they looked at their wiring they knew they needed something to prevent a major fire.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

We all have a ways to go before we can achieve the benchmark of motorcycle wiring. We can only dream. I think the secret is in the liberal use of the kitchen shears.
Attachments
adrianjunk2.jpg