Tachometer question, electrical help...

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Ric

Tachometer question, electrical help...

Post by Ric »

I find myself attempting to take a page out of CLF's book when it comes to rewiring. I'm replacing all of the common light blue sta-kon connectors, with Pico water tight plug sets, and swapping out the Bussman fuse box with a Blue Sea unit. During part of this wire sorting horror, I discovered a potential dilemma.

My bike is a 2006, with a Autometer digital tach/speedo.

My bike has a drive pulley mounted to the transmission that has 10 square cut grooves in the outside edge of the pulley. 1/8th" away is an electronic/magnetic sensor. On the electrical end of the mounted sensor, is three wires. I'm guessing there are two 20 gauge wires that are insulated (Red and Black), and a bare ground wire. The ground wire's route is a short one, from the speed sensor, directly to the bell housing. The two insulated wires, run from the sensor, to the speedo. EXCEPT, about a foot away from the single purple tach wire… there is a 'fatter wire' about 8" long, that is encapsulated with heat shrink. Which, is somehow connected to the twin wires leading up to it.

The questions I pose, are more for those that know exactly how this set up is hooked up, and or how it functions. If you are only guessing, like I am… it just means I'm going to have to dissect that whole set-up like a frog in a grade six science lab myself.

1. Is that 'fatter wire' a specific length resistor wire connected and buried under the heat shrink? To communicate the magnetic signal to the tach/Speedo?

2. Is it allowable to shorten that part of the wire at all?

3. How is it wired underneath the heat shrink with two wires, to wind up with a single wire to the speedo itself?

I'll wait to hear from someone in the 'know'… before I hit this mess with dissecting tools.

Thanks! :popcorn:

"Keep the magic alive!" He said.

Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada
petitemoose

Re: Tachometer question, electrical help...

Post by petitemoose »

Hope this helps you ...
Wire 19 ( red ) is 12V +
G2 is Ground
Purple goes to the Speedo Harness

My book does not show how the Speed sensor is wired but hopefully the above will help
Attachments
BossSpeedoWiring.jpg
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
Ric

Post by Ric »

Thanks Moose, the diagram is similar to mine that came with my manual. The only wires on my '06 manual that doesn't show, is the one where the purple wire on the Tach, ends in the air with a female spade connector plug, but does not continue in any of my other six pages of wiring diagrams, to the actual magnetic reader. So it's still not clear if the 'fat wire' about 8" long, is a resistor or not. I cut part of it off not sure that this was even an issue. I guess the best I can do is to reconnect what I've done, and hope that it wasn't a resistor… or I've screwed that whole line up to the sensor. Worse case scenario is … I get a new assembly from factory. *sigh*
:banghead:

"Keep the magic alive!" He said.

Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Ric, I got a 2003 and sometimes the tach runs backward. I don't know how many wires mine has but I bet the backwards thing has something to do with the wire that goes to the loom if mines the same as yours.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada