three wheeler progress

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
GordonBH

Re: three wheeler progress

Post by GordonBH »

Gorgeous work!
Gordon from England
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Take it from a retired Tool maker , that's nice workmanship !
Imzz4

Post by Imzz4 »

Thanks Jack, I'm good at hiding my mistakes. I heard decals can make the parts more reliable ,so I'm trying that too !
Attachments
DSC00451.JPG
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Mistakes on home made parts is easy to fix Jeff when you not working to a blue print that may have a tolerance of + or - .0001 haha
Imzz4

Post by Imzz4 »

I gave it a partial bath today before taking it out on the highway. All was good except the rear brakes act more like manual and not power brakes. I need to get it sorted out before I can get serious miles on it. The diameter of the 1" master cyl piston is making me wonder if that's a large part of the problem. I'd feel a lot better if I could get the tires to lockup or come close to it.

phpBB [video]
Attachments
DSC00457.JPG
DSC00459.JPG
DSC00454.JPG
Imzz4

Post by Imzz4 »

phpBB [video]
V8Norm

Post by V8Norm »

That sounds very good.

You do nice work
Norm
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

One inch is an awfully big master cylinder. I'd drop down to a 3/4 or even a 5/8
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
Imzz4

Post by Imzz4 »

Carl, Thanks for your input. I value your suggestions. I probably started this whole power brake install on the wrong foot from the beginning. In hindsight I should have read more than I did and not "willed" everything to work right.
Now the 7"brake booster is also suspect. My travel at the booster input is about 1/4". I wonder if the internal valve never travels quite far enough to port the atmospheric air into that side of the chamber. Or something related is wrong. When I press and hold the pedal then start it, the pedal doesn't move. I put a new check valve in it when I put the latest master in. I'll try more play between the master cyl and the booster and if nothing changes I'll remove it and go from there. Thanks
Imzz4

Post by Imzz4 »

New plan. Get rid of the power brake booster and correct my other mistake. Instead of replacing the booster( if its bad or not) , I bought a Wilwood 3/4" master cyl with the option to mount the res. remotely. I talked with one of their techs for some assurance. I also found my overall pedal leverage was 3.42 instead of 4.0 for power brakes.( My fault again). I'll need to change it to 6/1 for manual. Luckily I can make an adapter to lower it and move it forward using the holes from the booster. This will be master cyl. no. 4 this time . Maybe the last one ! :popcorn:
Attachments
DSC00464.JPG
DSC00466.JPG
Imzz4

Post by Imzz4 »

The Wilwood is in place, pedal ratio is 5.7/1, reservoir is mounted behind the fuel tank, rotors and pads cleaned and sanded lightly with 120, and bled. Today I drove it in my garage since it was raining. My garage is 22' long, so the ride only went about 6 ft in each direction, but it stopped and held in gear when I gave it some throttle. I even got insurance and tags for it !
Attachments
DSC00468.JPG
DSC00469.JPG
DSC00487.JPG
Orlando606VetteTrike

Post by Orlando606VetteTrike »

Jeff,

Your a Master Craftsman. Being an airline guy i know attention to detail, and your is second to none.

Beautiful job.
2008 606 Corvette Trike
Imzz4

Post by Imzz4 »

Thanks ! It won't be long now. (other than paint)
Imzz4

Post by Imzz4 »

I rode it for about 8 miles with the ability to stop finally ! Everything went better this time around. Fuel inj. needs a lot more learning miles since it likes to almost stall when I come to a stop sign. That servo shifter likes to fault out when it leaves Park to reverse sometimes. I made an "all beef" brake pedal to get my foot a bit farther from the pipes since I found a nice chunk of stuff in the toolbox. Getting there....!
Attachments
DSC00496.JPG
DSC00497.JPG
DSC00498.JPG
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

Wow ! :ten:

Imzz4

Post by Imzz4 »

What a surprise to find out the painter worked on my pieces on Easter day, thru the night until early the next morning. A week before, I had sent him 2 pics of it parked with all the lights on in a huge nearby empty parking lot. The text said " a Statey pulled me over and I lucked out. He gave me a warning for no seat, but a ticket for no paint. I told him to send it to your address.." Either that helped, or he was gonna work on it anyhow. It still needs sanded and buffed but it is that much closer !
Attachments
DSC00515.JPG
DSC00517.JPG
DSC00520.JPG
Paul H

Post by Paul H »

Jeff, I know you've waited to long for the painter to do something, BUT I really think it just might be worth
the wait. I love those style flames. You chose a great painter and he did a very good paint job.

Paul H
V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

Glad to see it all coming together ... your seeing the light now!! Soon the trike will have all the body work on and the weather will be warming up. Just take the time for pics, I know you'll be busy riding! :ten:
IF YOU TELL THE TRUTH YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMEMBER ANYTHING

Imzz4

Post by Imzz4 »

Here's some pics of the grill that will give some fin protection without being too restrictive, and help take that flatness look away a little bit. The "8" was from the old chain the motor was installed with. Polishing each piece as it was done helped a lot, but it was still about as touchy as polishing the radiator. One slip and its messed up. I'm glad this is done !! All this work just so bug guts can smear around. :lastweek:
Attachments
DSC00500.JPG
DSC00523.JPG
DSC00524.JPG
DSC00525.JPG
DSC00526.JPG
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Jeff , your trike is definitely a precision made masterpiece.
Imzz4

Post by Imzz4 »

thanks Jack ! yep, snow flurry's here tomorrow so no testing
Imzz4

Post by Imzz4 »

The painter texted it will be done this week. I got the text last week..
That saying goes something about 'good things happen to those who are patient ." My saying goes " when it's that close, stop screwing around and finish it .Make someone else be patient "
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

:lol:

Imzz4

Post by Imzz4 »

I'm happy to say mine now has a one of a kind bowtie emblem with the same screen mesh as on the radiator. I knew if I just gave him 20k in cash he would get going on it ! I haven't seen it in person since surely everything is probably being sanded and buffed while I type, (or not). :capwin:
Attachments
Bowtie.jpg
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

WOW!!! Long time to wait for paint but looks like it will be worth it!! :thumbup: