NOS Bottle style Fire extinguisher?

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
AR

NOS Bottle style Fire extinguisher?

Post by AR »

the first thing i did this morning before me ride to church is check the fuel line fittings. Poor Sonny i was thinking. All looked good 'n tight today but i had a loose one once before and was fortunate enough to hit the kill switch in time. Fuel spraying onto your leg tends to make you move fast. Kind of detracted from the ride thinking if this thing flames up i'm helpless to do anything. Most hotrods have a nice chrome piece of fire safety.
So i was wondering is there a maker of a quick release fire extinguisher bracket that fits the aldan shocker much like the nos bracket on the other side? Would balance it up nicely. Chrome? Merv? :?:
gaston 2005 502
Location: South Texas & Working Around the World, Across The Nation And Up Your Street

Re: NOS Bottle style Fire extinguisher?

Post by gaston 2005 502 »

PIrate Rob wrote:the first thing i did this morning before me ride to church is check the fuel line fittings. Poor Sonny i was thinking. All looked good 'n tight today but i had a loose one once before and was fortunate enough to hit the kill switch in time. Fuel spraying onto your leg tends to make you move fast. Kind of detracted from the ride thinking if this thing flames up i'm helpless to do anything. Most hotrods have a nice chrome piece of fire safety.
So i was wondering is there a maker of a quick release fire extinguisher bracket that fits the aldan shocker much like the nos bracket on the other side? Would balance it up nicely. Chrome? Merv? :?:
Could be a great addition for a bike as long as it is dressed nice. one would think it could be like a NOS setup, could even have plumbing and have it similiar to NOS as in a armed not armed button hidden as to prevent the local idiot from pressing on accident. B class extinguishers are for fuel, gas oil etc. Co2 could be the answer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_extinguisher
might not even need to be plumbed, as it could be better to quick releaseand fight flames instead of pressing button and not being on the flames,,, if i am not mistaken Stan makes or supplies a quick release bracket for NOS. could if we could find a good looking extinguisher to fit maybe a nice needed addition. Beats the alternative.

Darryl Campbell
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

If I remember right Aldo was looking for a fire extinguisher to mount on his bike a few years ago. I don't remember if or what he found.

Shane
AR

Post by AR »

thanks kimi the ebay bottles look good but the main thing is getting a properly made mounting bracket to fit the BH aldan shock and to fit a 2lb sized sort of bottle. I dont think they exist though i will check with Aldo and see what Stans nos holder is all about. Thanks for the hints guys.
AR.
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I like this idea and I think there are a couple of other possible mounting locations , on the crash bar , on the frame above the shifter , on the luggage rack or on the front forks where some guys mount a leather tool bag . No location is perfect but having a fire extinguisher is sorta like better to have a gun and not need it than need one and not have one .

Jack
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Correct me if I am wrong.

the NOS bottles are a lot lighter than an extinguisher would be??

The NOS bottle rides up and down with the swingarm so if the extinguisher is heavier it or the bracket may not survive the brutal beating??
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
Redtro

Post by Redtro »

I've never had a NOS bottle, but I would think they are "bolt" into the bracket requiring a wrench to be removed?...right/wrong? If they are bolted into the bracket...trying to find a wrench while your bike is on fire wouldn't be the best option.
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I one were to run a fire extinguisher it would have to be a solid and durable but quick release .
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

Stan does sell some very nice quick release clamps. He uses them for many things such as his windshields and I think also the NOS bottles.

Shane