Electric fuel shut off valve

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
hogv8

Electric fuel shut off valve

Post by hogv8 »

Olaf , well it's winter here so it's time to start wrenching on my Boss again . I plan on installing the Jaguar electric fuel shut off valve . Have you installed yours yet ? Has your friend with the 502 or anyone else you know that runs this valve had any problems with it that you know of ? I plan on mounting it where I have easy access to it just in case I do have problems or possibly make a bypass in case of problems .

Thanks ,
Jack
AR

Re: Electric fuel shut off valve

Post by AR »

hogv8 wrote:Olaf , well it's winter here so it's time to start wrenching on my Boss again . I plan on installing the Jaguar electric fuel shut off valve . Have you installed yours yet ? Has your friend with the 502 or anyone else you know that runs this valve had any problems with it that you know of ? I plan on mounting it where I have easy access to it just in case I do have problems or possibly make a bypass in case of problems .

Thanks ,
Jack
You know something Jack...I've had my bike since Jan 2001 and the only time I've turned my fuel off is once when I took the tank off to put my NOS on. I'll tell you another thing on the quiet too...my bike still starts in gear :o which is cool for those 1 hander starts from the drive through bottle shop. I just throw a leg over and vroom with one hand and give a cool wave (or scratch me nuts) with the other. Yes, both these things make me a rebel in the V8Biker world - thats why I'm here. :D
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Rob , I never used to turn my gas off either until I heard about all the bikes that had problems because of cylinder hydraulicking because of gas leaking into the cylinders and if your bike starts in gear the green wire from your neutral switch in the tranny must be grounded somewhere . Not something I'd tolerate but if you like it that way more power to you . :?:

Jack
Puff

Post by Puff »

Rob,

Hydraulic lock is not a good thing.
I saw a bike or two that were trailered to Tan-Tar-A without turning the fuel petcock off. Bikes wouldn't start.......til all the spark plugs were removed. Then they hit the start button, and fuel squirted out of all 8 spark plugs holes. Interesting to see! :o
Fuel had leaked down and filled up the combustion chambers.
If this wasn't done, the bike wouldn't start.
I turn my petcock off whenever I hit the kill-switch.
Better safe than sorry. :|

Puff
Bill Van Sant

AR

Post by AR »

I'd like to say that ok you guys are right and yes I'll change my ways with the peticock but bet you I will forget to more often than not or run out of fuel before I leave my driveway, and then I'll say stuff you and never mention it again cause wildman will say I hate my bike. I guess that's why jack is looking at the jag electric stop so Wildman don't say that he hates his bike!
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I think this electric fuel shut off is the way to go and at least on test I have made off the bike it works perfectly . My only concern is it is electric and electrical things can and do fuck up . It would be easy enough to by pass it if there was a problem I suppose .

Jack
AR

Post by AR »

so it would be 'normally closed' when no power connected, and normally open WITH power connected...that how it works Jack?

I guess if your bike is subject to this kind of fuel problem the last thing you'd want is for it to 'stick' open. I bet you still check to see if it works.
502wingman

Post by 502wingman »

Jack, yes Olaf has told me (where is he ???) that he also wanted to install it with a bypass just in case there is an electrical problem.
Rob, it happend to Elmo with his 502 here in Germany. The Cylinders were full with Gas but it would still start !!! Result: bend rod, destroyed engine !
Since then I am closing my pingle, and yes in the begining I would forget to open it leaving. But no more and it is peace of mind.
Peter
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Rob , yes , it is normally closed until power is switched on .

Thanks Peter for your response .

Mike , are you insinuating this is a jerk off idea ?

Jack
AR

Post by AR »

Haha...no he's not Jack, he's just sending me a message and being an asshole to me, as usual. He's the shits you know!
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

hogv8 wrote:Olaf , well it's winter here so it's time to start wrenching on my Boss again . I plan on installing the Jaguar electric fuel shut off valve . Have you installed yours yet ? Has your friend with the 502 or anyone else you know that runs this valve had any problems with it that you know of ? I plan on mounting it where I have easy access to it just in case I do have problems or possibly make a bypass in case of problems .

Thanks ,
Jack
Hi Jack,
Sorry for the late answer. Yes – I installed the Jaguar valve three weeks ago but haven’t had a chance to test it yet. But Andy installed a couple of these valves to some of his customer’s bikes without any problems. Oh, and John Monticelli (spelling?) from California sent me an email a while ago and told me he too bought one of these Jag valves off ebay....he didn’t even drilled the outlet larger, he installed it like it came – and it works perfect. I will carry a spare rubber hose as a bypass just in case the fuel valve fails someday. I also didn’t installed a relay for the valve, I tapped the positive wire of the fuel pump instead to keep it simple and hope that will work fine. If not I will install a relay later.

Olaf
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Thanks Olaf , I am thinking about installing the fuel shut off valve with quick disconnects before the valve and after the valve and leaving enough slack in the fuel line so if the valve failed I could just remove it and reconnect the fuel line directly to the gas tank fuel line . I've got to locate a couple of disconnects for a reasonable price though .

I wish I knew if a relay is necessary ??

Jack
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

I think this electric solenoid is a great idea for bikes with carburetors. I have no need for it because I have 8 solenoids (injectors) controlling my fuel. Even if the operator wants to pretend it doensn't exist and still shuttoff the petcock then it is a good safety measure. Being able to easily eliminate it incase of failure would be great too.

A relay should only be needed if the control devices and circuits are not large enough to handle the load of the solenoid. If you get power from the output side of the master relay or and extra space in the fuse box and ground it to a bellhousing bolt I see no reason for a relay. If you wanted to conrol it with the ground circuit coming from the key to the solenoid you might need a relay but would then require twice as much effort and wiring to install.

I would install it on a circuit on the output side of the master solenoid so that only operates when the key is on. If you go directly from the solenoid install an inline fuse, if you have extra space in the fuse box that may be the easiest place to make a connection and will safe having extra fuses hid throughout the bike. Ground to bellhousing or equivalent location. Use proper size wiring and I see no reason for a relay.

Shane
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Thanks Shane for the input .

Jack
AR

Post by AR »

Thought I'd share that at this very moment for the 2nd time in its life my fuel is turned off. :oops:
AR

Post by AR »

Haha..rode to work today & knew something was wrong when I got to the top of my driveway and the fuel pressure guage was reading 3pounds - AHHH, forgot to turn the gas back on didnt I :roll:

At least I'm keeping you guys off my back.
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

Jack,
an update regarding the fuel valve - it's working perfect!! I didn't drilled the inlet side, and I didn't installed an additional relay, and it works like a charme. I really enjoy not to think about the petcock anymore...I leave it "open" all the time. The little valve does the job now :-)

For everyone else who's too dumb to close his petcock, the Jaguar valve must be a "right return" unit. It's important that it is normally closed (w/o electricity). The Jaguar part number is CBC4270.

I bought mine from this seller in Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JAGUAR-R ... 0071089937

Olaf
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Olaf , last winter I installed my Jaguar electric fuel shut off valve and wired it thru a 30 amp relay . It worked fine for about 2 weeks and while I was In Daytona it quit one day so I eliminated it . I found out later after doing some checking that the damn Chinese relay I had the shut off valve wired thru was the culprit and not the shut off valve itself . I may try it again but this time with no relay . While it was working it was great not having to worry about turning the petcock off and on .

Jack
Els

Post by Els »

Jack, someone you and I both respect a great deal just did the electric solenoid fuel valve. It worked for a month or less.

I have problems because I have a vacuum valve and I don't have enough vacuum to make it work. I end up doing the ol' suck job when it sits a week or more.

I've had numerous solenoids fail on nitrous systems. Supposedly "high quality, reliable" types. You know the old saying; "if it's got tits, tires or wires, it's going to give you trouble." I took a pass on going electric with the fuel valve and fuel pump.

Elliot

Image...Todd, North Carolina
Image Image Image
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

Elliot,
I hope it will last long, cause I really love not to worry about the petcock, but now that Jack and you posted about the problems, I will carry a long extra hose in the fork bag which is long enough to reach from the fuel pump to the carb - just in case, cause I would have to take the tank off to get to the jag valve.

Thanks,
Olaf
Big John

Post by Big John »

KrautV8 wrote:Elliot,
I hope it will last long, cause I really love not to worry about the petcock, but now that Jack and you posted about the problems, I will carry a long extra hose in the fork bag which is long enough to reach from the fuel pump to the carb - just in case, cause I would have to take the tank off to get to the jag valve.

Thanks,
Olaf
Olaf,
I think you and I talked about this before....
Mine's been on two years and I love it.
John
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I got a Jag shut off valve for sale if anyone is interested .

Jack
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

UPDATE:

I found out it becomes very hot when in permanent use....at least mine did. It worked perfect, like I said before, but I threw it out because I thought it will fail sooner or later and give me problems. It was so hot, I burned my fingers when I touched it....that's no good.

Loaf
Els

Post by Els »

If its got tits, tires, or wires, it WILL give you trouble. :evil:

Els
Image...Todd, North Carolina
Image Image Image
Ric

Post by Ric »

I'm looking into a 12 DC Refrigeration solenoid to do this job. They are usaully N.O. (Normally Open). I'm thinking 14 guage wire will suffice. it only draws about .8 amps. usually they are a 'sweat' fitting (brass that needs to be brazed) However, I think I may have found a threaded (Flare) valve. No probs to adapt to those fittings. Once I get it done, I'll post pics.

I always shut my pingle off when I park at the end of the day... but not when I stop for beers or fuel while riding during the day. I will install a bypass set up that plumbers use when installing water softeners, etc. I wonder if a PEX valve would hold back fuel? I'll look into that too.

"Keep the magic alive!" He said.

Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada