New Bad Ass trike in the garage!!!!

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Re: New Bad Ass trike in the garage!!!!

Post by Iron Maiden »

Sounds like you almost have her dialed in!! Congrats! Keep us updated on the progress and please post videos ! :thumbup:

Also glad to hear that you received some great advice -any chance you can share ?

V8Norm

Post by V8Norm »

video coming soon!! did not take one yet!

did a compression check, all plug removed, but did not have WOT. had around 200lbs on all cylinders. motor was cold.

Took the beast out for a ride today, and the dog, ran great, still no 4Th gear yet. so it acts like a turbo 350 transmission. Just turned 100 miles and have not been on the freeway yet.
Is is way cool to ride. What a machine :burnout:

Did 200 miles yesterday on the chopper with Aldo and Larry. It was a good day
Norm
Imzz4

Post by Imzz4 »

Norm, I'm glad to hear you're getting there. I'm always interested especially since we both have the same motor tranny and rear. I'm sure you'll let us know what the 4th gear problem turns out to be... best of luck with it !!!!
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

Norm sounds like you had a nice ride and now your biggest decision each day will be which one to take out to ride. :ridding:

ENJOY!!

Imzz4

Post by Imzz4 »

Norm, I was wondering how your trike was running and what the 4th gear problem turned out to be. Thanks
V8Norm

Post by V8Norm »

I got 250 miles on her. and never been on the freeway. It is awesome to ride. Just bad ass!!.
But that !@#$$%^&&*() transmission is pissing me off.
1,2and3 works great. installed a new corvette servo and no difference. The trany dude wants to drop the pan and have a look. I have been so busy, have had no time at all.
Heading to BC to the bike rally this week. I wanted to take the new one, but I just loaded up the V8Chopper in the trailer tonight.
Had the beast in some very hot weather last week. doing a lot of slow speeds and idling. I had to turn the 2nd & 3rd fan on a few times. but I am happy with the cooling system. So far so good. it is running well. I will have to find some time when I get back. Fix that trany then put her up for sale. It is very cool to ride. And the attention is unbelievable. People love it, hope the buy it. I might make 5 to 10 cents an hr for all that work, if I am lucky. Don't tell my boss I work for nothing. it was fun :screwloose:
Norm
mmaupin

Post by mmaupin »

Norm,

Sale it? Really?

That thing is a National Treasure.....

Keep it and ride.
Regards,

Mark

V8Norm

Post by V8Norm »

Finely got the transmission working properly. I had to remove it and get it to a very good tr any guy. He did my other 700r4 years ago. He found out that the person that rebuilt mine installed the wrong parts for the 3-4 shifter. The part that was installed was made for a earlier model 700R4. He showed me the problem and it made sense.
so 20 more hrs labor and $600

So I get on the freeway all is good then motor starts running ruff. I get it home and find out another valve spring broke (second one) I look at others and see that the inside spring are broke on 3 more. so I just ordered a spring set from Comp and new valve seals. the broken springs have destroyed them. I think (now I am not a mechanic) that the motor guy put on some cheap Chinese crap.

I just ordered a new custom triple tree. my trail is way off, it is at 10.5" Steering sucks. I will fix that in 45 days!!

Bad welds in the gas tank is causing paint to bubble. I guess I will fix that also. I thought I was starting off with a good foundation. Boy was I wrong.
Sorry just venting a little.... Tired of redoing things.
This trike is very fun to ride, but now I am just so mad at it. I just can't wait to get rid of it. :2up:
Norm
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

ANOTHER way to look at it is that it will have provided you with two joyful days. The one you got it and the day you sell it!
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

petitemoose wrote:ANOTHER way to look at it is that it will have provided you with two joyful days. The one you got it and the day you sell it!
Always Mr. Positive hey Dennis...lol
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
Imzz4

Post by Imzz4 »

Norm, glad to hear the real problem was found with the transmission. That is a bummer along with the valve spring problem. I worked on a guys bike that had some broken inner springs. It too screwed up the seals, and since it was driven for who knows how long, his mains and rods bearings looked terrible. Once you get it fixed up right, you won't be pissed, and you'll like riding it.. Probably keep it too !
V8Norm

Post by V8Norm »

I installed a new complete set of valve springs and seals from Crane Cams. Got the bike started but never had time to ride it. Now the front end is removed, I have to send it to the people who are making me a custom set of triple trees. So, down for another 3 weeks.
I hope to be happier in about 3 weeks when I get it back on the road again. I will make it right!!! All it take is more money :doh: Looking froward to trying out my new trees
My V8 Chopper is running great. I do have something reliable to ride
Norm
randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

Norm, Sorry to hear your having so many issues with your trike,,But when I read about broken valve springs , I thought of too much cam lift ..Hope you get it right.. No matter wether you keep it or sell it..Thanks for sharing your experience with us..Randy...P.S. I like your V-8 chopper better anyway...That thing is beautiful!
phpBB [video]
V8Norm

Post by V8Norm »

Image Image

I got my new 7.5 deg triple trees on, bike has been down for two months. What a difference. It steers so much better. I changed the trail from 10.5 to 5 3/4. Trail is so important. If it had the proper neck deg. I could have got it under 5". Before the front wheel would flop over, not any more. happy with the out come.
Installed a complete set of valve springs. I don't know why I keep braking valve springs and bending pushrods?
Something poorly designed in this motor. Put about 100 miles on it yesterday and all seems good. But I am worried about hitting the gas. I don't trust this motor. I thinking of throwing this motor in the garbage and buy another one. I am getting tired of taking this bike apart. re fixing and re engineering. Maybe I should remove the oil pan and look for dirt under the lip.
The transmission is now working great
Question .. on a SBC can I change lifters with that long lifter remover tool without removing the intake?
It is cold today but heading out for another ride. Hope I meet a buyer
Norm
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Bring it and sell it at Bikeweek in March??? Food for thought
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

Now I do like that. Stick with it. I built a Harley trike 10 years ago and am still tweaking. I suppose it depends how you feel about tweaking !! Your trail still seems a lot for a trike. Don't trikes usually run about 2" ?
I do like the foot pegs under the headers. Are the exhausts baffled sounds stunning. Yep very nice. Remember if it was easy everyone would do it !!
V8Norm

Post by V8Norm »

Took Teddy dog for a ride.
We both enjoyed it :leghump:
Last edited by V8Norm on Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norm
mmaupin

Post by mmaupin »

Norm,

Looks and sounds great.
Regards,

Mark

Imzz4

Post by Imzz4 »

Norm, I'm glad to see you're riding it again ,and sounding sweet too ! That's good inspiration for me.
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

Norm what happened to your video of you and Teddy going for a ride?

V8Norm

Post by V8Norm »

yea.... sorry about that. I had a problem with the video. I will make another one this weekend..
Norm
johnny redneck

Post by johnny redneck »

Norm; Sounds like spring bind. Change the rocker ratio to 1.5 and that should solve the problem unless the head and block are cut to close and the pistons are not fly cut for the valve to clear.
John
2crzy

Post by 2crzy »

Your valve springs are collapsing together, that's why your bending pushrods. It will be catastrophic when the engine gets really warm. The lift on your cam is higher than your clearance for your valve springs. Springs are bottoming out. solution you can mill your heads under your springs, put different springs in, change cam lift.
V8Norm

Post by V8Norm »

New video of Teddy dog
enjoy!!

phpBB [video]
Norm
V8Norm

Post by V8Norm »

I have 1.6 Comp rockers. I disconnected the coil to get slow motion. Does this look like too much lift??
Something else weird, when I took off the valve cover there was a lot of condensation (water) not antifreeze. Those zoomies headers might be the problem? Leaky head bolt?
No foam in the oil. Antifreeze looks good

phpBB [video]
Norm