No more squealing!!!

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Re: No more squealing!!!

Post by Iron Maiden »

V8Norm wrote: Today I thought I heard my water pump making noise. :anvil:

Have you heard of a recall or???? Sounds like your new one might be an upgrade?

:popcorn:
OH NO!!!! I hope you are not having any problems with your water pump Norm! I don't know of any issues with the pumps. We do think the pulley is smaller from the original '09 version.

Is your belt loose? There are small Allen head adjustment screws above the top bolts. I hope that is your issue. Let us know.

Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

Spoke with Tom today at V8Choppers here is what he said....
Use NAPA Belts XL 7315 & XL 7335

The smaller port on the pump is to allow for adjustment.
Put gasket sealer on the block side only this will allow the pump to slide if and when adjustment is needed.

Thanks Tom!!
:capwin:

Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

Update :banghead: nuff said!!!!!!

petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

Iron Maiden wrote:Update :banghead: nuff said!!!!!!
That Sux!!
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

PROGRESS!!!! We finally got the right combination of belts. Because my engine is a 450 it has a higher deck height so I needed a longer alternator belt than recommended. The pump is on and belts adjusted we will finish the job tomorrow and I will give a ride report, weather permitting. :ridding:
Attachments
Belts.jpg
Belts.jpg (27.33 KiB) Viewed 5673 times
Belt 2jpg.jpg
Belt 2jpg.jpg (23.81 KiB) Viewed 5673 times
belt 1.jpg
belt 1.jpg (23.02 KiB) Viewed 5673 times

Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

Sorry for the delay in my response but I have been out enjoying this beautiful weather on a "squeal free" water pump v8chopper :thumbup: :ridding:

Butkicker

Post by Butkicker »

Nice. Good job enjoy
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Well done, great result, enjoy the rides
Gordon from England
Butkicker

Post by Butkicker »

Just replaced water pump on my boss all set now
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

Update........ Well it happened again! About 50 miles the squeal came back and each ride it came back louder and stayed longer! :banghead: how frustrating!

I hope this will save the next member a few hours/days/$$$. Ready........

The culprit (probably all along) was a loose crank shaft belt. I know what you are thinking - why didn't you check that first? We did!! Both belts felt tight and the noise was heard in the water pump with the stethoscope.

Anyway, before we tore it down (again) we decided to adjust the lower crankshaft belt. There are 2 small adjustment screws on the top if the water pump. We removed the alternator belt from the alternator loosened the 4 water pump bolts (there will be some coolant that escapes) loosen two nuts on adjuster screws. Make the adjustment then tighten everything back up. :D We started with one full turn of adjustment and 90% of the squeal was gone, made a half turn adjustment and 99% of the squeal is gone. I feel as though we have this "licked". I will put a few miles on the trike and probably make one more adjustment.

If the squeal returns we will take the advice of Stan and Tom to scuff the crank shaft pulley. I hope it doesn't come to this but I will keep you posted.

Thanks to everyone here for helping to solve this issue and special thanks to Rhonda, Stan and Tom.

Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

I noticed that Dave's (Squirm) bike squeals when he fires it up, but it goes away in a few seconds. I wonder if it just needs to warm up a bit???
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

Carl La Fong wrote:I noticed that Dave's (Squirm) bike squeals when he fires it up, but it goes away in a few seconds. I wonder if it just needs to warm up a bit???
what squeals?? the bike or Squirm??? Maybe Squirm just needs to warm up a bit...HAHA :rofl:
phpBB [video]
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Great info for us all and I'm glad it's fixed.

Ride safe and long
Gordon from England
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

randy burkey wrote:
Carl La Fong wrote:I noticed that Dave's (Squirm) bike squeals when he fires it up, but it goes away in a few seconds. I wonder if it just needs to warm up a bit???
what squeals?? the bike or Squirm??? Maybe Squirm just needs to warm up a bit...HAHA :rofl:
My alternator belt squeals only for a few seconds while the alternator is under load from just starting the bike. My Boss Hoss does the same thing because I don't run either belt as tight as most do. Once the few seconds of squeal are gone the alternator bearings on both bikes are happier. Randy is right though I always squeal with delight for a moment when either bike fires up!

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
tjy

Post by tjy »

The belt squeal we had on Zach's trike (ol' purple) which he kept trying other belts Turned to be a broken bolt thru the alternator bracket into the block. MBH repaired and NO more sreeking! :doh: tom

Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

Glad you found the culprit TJY. I will check the bolts but pretty sure they are all in and secure. THe good news is we seem to have the squealing cured (for now). It was just adjusting both belts till they were quiet. The brake squealing is another story! :banghead:

tjy

Post by tjy »

I forgot to metion that, my new trike,rear brakes squeak when I push out of Mancave But quiet down after acouple of blocks. 8-)