Beautiful but quite expensive flower pots.

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
KISS

Beautiful but quite expensive flower pots.

Post by KISS »

First i need to tell that i´m an idiot,but w this "story" i wish You dont have to feel the same!
I have been working several years in a speed shop so i KNOW that cheapest parts are not the best ones.That´s why i bought new valvecovers which were supposed to be made in USA w pride!
I got them home and they looked OK,but when i checked them closely i found that they were twisted more than 6mm.
DSC00223.JPG
DSC00225.JPG
I managed to get those more straigt w heat and twisting to opposite direction.
Then i lifted my tank i order to make space to my new,beautiful covers and moved all fuel fittings including new pet cock.
DSC00216.JPG
DSC00217.JPG
DSC00218.JPG
Then i made hidden holes to PCV valve and breather.
DSC00119.JPG
And meanwhile when my "body parts" are on painting prosedure i mirror polished them!
DSC00118.JPG
And when finally when it was time to bolt on my new beautiful valvecovers i found out that bolt holes are not even close where they are supposed to be.They could be fixed by making totally new billet rails under them,and then polish them again and then they they will still leak!SHIT!
Good thing is that soon we have in our balcony the most expensive,shiny flower pots for example pansies ! :oops: :o
If somebody could help me w new pair of GOOD tall (3,5"-3,5/8")valvecovers soon,i would be happy!
KrautV8

Re: Beautiful but quite expensive flower pots.

Post by KrautV8 »

Kimi, that story reminded me to soemthing happened to myself. I bought a old style bobbed fender and pulled my rear wheel to install a bigger tire. Then I brought the wheel to a machine shop to make it a 9,5 inch wheel instead of a 7 inch. At the same time I brought the fender to a paint shop. After I got my wheel back I installed the 265 car tire on the widened wheel, put it in the bike....and the new painted fender didn't fit over the tire....hahahaha

These valve covers are slightly taller than 3 5/8" - they are 3 3/4", but this would be my choice. Billet Speciallities offer the best available covers in fit and quality. Buy these, check if they fit, maybe let them chrome plate, and you have something for a life time.

http://www.billetspecialties.com/item.a ... 36&pid=466

Loaf
AR

Post by AR »

ok..looks like this has turned into 'My biggest V8 fuckup' thread :lol: Mine was this eRam electric supercharger experiment some of you old timers will remember haha. I bought all these special pieces from around the world, had a 2" stainless bend specially made $$ so the radius fit theline of the bike, had a billet bracket specially made, engraved the housing, bought & polished up a carb bonnet, silicon plumbing, lots of electrical bits n' pieces, must have imported 3 air custom air cleaners and cut the shit out them to make them fit haha...maybe $3000 later I stuck it on and think ...'fuck that looks like a big chrome dick'.
So now its sitting in my wardrobe cause I'm too embarrassed to hang ii in my garage. Dont you guys ever tell anyone ok. :lol:

AFUP

KISS

Post by KISS »

Thanks Olaf,but they are little too tall because of the shape of them.And i want mine w/o breather holes. :cry:
And thanks Rob,now i feel better! :lol:
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

KISS wrote:......and I want mine w/o breather holes......

Kimi, do you want to machine your own breather/PCV valve holes? Or do you want to have no breather/PCV system at all?

Loaf
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Aussiefahrt wrote:ok..looks like this has turned into 'My biggest V8 fuckup' thread :lol: Mine was this eRam electric supercharger experiment some of you old timers will remember haha. I bought all these special pieces from around the world, had a 2" stainless bend specially made $$ so the radius fit theline of the bike, had a billet bracket specially made, engraved the housing, bought & polished up a carb bonnet, silicon plumbing, lots of electrical bits n' pieces, must have imported 3 air custom air cleaners and cut the shit out them to make them fit haha...maybe $3000 later I stuck it on and think ...'fuck that looks like a big chrome dick'.
So now its sitting in my wardrobe cause I'm too embarrassed to hang ii in my garage. Dont you guys ever tell anyone ok. :lol:

AFUP

Rob ,as you know i was interested in this project when you were building it . I don't think it looks that bad . Did it improve performance ??

Jack

Jack
KISS

Post by KISS »

Olaf,check pictures 118 and 119 in my "horror story".I made hidden ones for more clean look.
AR

Post by AR »

hogv8 wrote:[
Rob ,as you know i was interested in this project when you were building it . I don't think it looks that bad . Did it improve performance ??
Jack
I guess thanks for asking Jack and yep there are a few angles that it didnt look so bad, but 'did it improve performance' was another traumatic aspect of the venture....it didnt actually ever get commissioned! My concern anbout the 'dickie' look started the moment I got it all poilshed up and i stood back on the saturday morning of the final assembly weekend - took the above photo - and hoped to never speak of it again :oops: . fortunately that was the same weekend i installed a 150 shot of the good stuff and sunday afternoon i was so totally blown away with the Nos system that for that moment i couldnt have wished for more 8-) .

I guess the nos shock effect has worn off now & i'm back into pondering something different involving old technology but i think I'll be a bit more careful with any projections that are required this time :lol:

AR.
Big John

Post by Big John »

KISS wrote:First i need to tell that i´m an idiot,but w this "story" i wish You dont have to feel the same!
I have been working several years in a speed shop so i KNOW that cheapest parts are not the best ones.That´s why i bought new valvecovers which were supposed to be made in USA w pride!
I got them home and they looked OK,but when i checked them closely i found that they were twisted more than 6mm.
DSC00223.JPG
DSC00225.JPG
Then i lifted my tank i order to make space to my new,beautiful covers and moved all fuel fittings including new pet cock.
DSC00216.JPG
DSC00217.JPG
DSC00218.JPG
DSC00119.JPG
And meanwhile when my "body parts" are on painting prosedure i mirror polished them!
DSC00118.JPG
And when finally when it was time to bolt on my new beautiful valvecovers i found out that bolt holes are not even close where they are supposed to be.They could be fixed by making totally new billet rails under them,and then polish them again and then they they will still leak!SHIT!
Good thing is that soon we have in our balcony the most expensive,shiny flower pots for example pansies ! :oops: :o
If somebody could help me w new pair of GOOD tall (3,5"-3,5/8")valvecovers soon,i would be happy!

With all due respect:
Don't you guys know that all that shit is made in Taiwan, or South Korea, or some other non-caucasian place on the map, nowadays????
It might say
'made in USA', but, there is a town in China by that name!!
For Christs sake, get smart, you guys!!!!
The gooks have taken over!!!!!!
Big John
Big John

Post by Big John »

KISS wrote:First i need to tell that i´m an idiot,but w this "story" i wish You dont have to feel the same!
DSC00223.JPG
DSC00225.JPG
DSC00216.JPG
DSC00217.JPG
DSC00218.JPG
DSC00119.JPG
DSC00118.JPG

With all due respect:
Don't you guys know that all that shit is made in Taiwan, or South Korea, or some other non-caucasian place on the map, nowadays????
It might say
'made in USA', but, there is a town in China by that name!!
For Christs sake, get smart, you guys!!!!
The gooks have taken over!!!!!!
Big John
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

First i need to tell that i´m an idiot,but w this "story" i wish You dont have to feel the same!
I got them home and they looked OK,but when i checked them closely i found that they were twisted more than 6mm

Dumb question perhaps, but at the very nanosecond that you realized there might be a problem, why were you not on the phone with the supplier, negotiating a return or some reasonable solution? I mean, you heated, tweeked, polished and dicked with them only to find out they wouldn't fit? I dunno, seems odd to me.
There is no town in China or anywhere else, for that matter named USA where all of these bogus goods are alleged to come from. Old myth
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
KISS

Post by KISS »

Carl La Fong wrote:First i need to tell that i´m an idiot,but w this "story" i wish You dont have to feel the same!
I got them home and they looked OK,but when i checked them closely i found that they were twisted more than 6mm

Dumb question perhaps, but at the very nanosecond that you realized there might be a problem, why were you not on the phone with the supplier, negotiating a return or some reasonable solution? I mean, you heated, tweeked, polished and dicked with them only to find out they wouldn't fit? I dunno, seems odd to me.
There is no town in China or anywhere else, for that matter named USA where all of these bogus goods are alleged to come from. Old myth
If YOU Mr Fong carefully read my first line,it says : i´m idiot! Simple as shit!

And yes,when i noticed that they are twisted i called to the suplier and they said just send them back and we send new ones back.(the freight costs as much as new covers and takes 4 weeks!).They knew that i´m a foreigner and said that they cannot promise if the new ones are better ones.It´s much longer story and also WM has lost his nerves w my covers. :(
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

If YOU Mr Fong carefully read my first line,it says : i´m idiot! Simple as shit!

Well, then you belong to one of the biggest clubs on Earth. The only bigger one is the one for those that have never made a mistake because they never stuck their neck out. I would still try to negotiate withe the supplier. He should be able to determine that the covers are useless from the pix that you have posted. Explain the postage prediciment. If they are truly "Made With Pride in the USA" the manufacturer shouuld be willing to provide you with another set and allow you to keep your planters. Especially if you also explain that you have posted evidence of shoddy workmanship online, but have not yet revealed where you got them. I read on a lot of forums where people have had similar issues and, almost always, the small guy here in the US, with a cottage business making small runs of items such as your valve covers, has stepped up to the plate and made good.
Simple as shit? Try eating too much cheese!
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

I dunno, in my travels, high school locker rooms, military, working 9 years in a jail, I've never seen a dick that looks like your aircleaner, but I've never been down under, so mebbe you guys are hung differently :D ;)
Aussiefahrt wrote:ok..looks like this has turned into 'My biggest V8 fuckup' thread :lol: Mine was this eRam electric supercharger experiment some of you old timers will remember haha. I bought all these special pieces from around the world, had a 2" stainless bend specially made $$ so the radius fit theline of the bike, had a billet bracket specially made, engraved the housing, bought & polished up a carb bonnet, silicon plumbing, lots of electrical bits n' pieces, must have imported 3 air custom air cleaners and cut the shit out them to make them fit haha...maybe $3000 later I stuck it on and think ...'fuck that looks like a big chrome dick'.

AFUP

Big John

Post by Big John »

KISS wrote:Thanks Olaf,but they are little too tall because of the shape of them.And i want mine w/o breather holes. :cry:
And thanks Rob,now i feel better! :lol:
This is a sad thing, as I forgot that the freight to where you are is probably very expensive. I was looking at similar covers in Jegs and Summit, but I guess that may not be available to you?
I was going to say I could send you some, but it would probably not be worth it.
I got a set from Summit, made by Edelbrock, and were flawed.
Actually, one was crooked, too, but not so bad, and the other was a bad casting. I looked carefully, and sure enough,
they were made in China, but on the box, it said 'made in USA'.
I guess the box was made in USA.
At least they gave me my money back, and I bought something else. Those too, were made in Taiwan. Most of that stuff is.
Anyway, I am sorry that you had to do so much work for nothing.
We are lucky, here, this stuff only costs us one or two hundred dollars, usually, with no problems.
One other thought that I had, was, are you sure that you didn't tweak it when you installed the pvc hole? If you are doing some tiging on it, bolt them down first. You probably did, I imagine, but things can still go wrong, and if it can, it usually will.
KISS

Post by KISS »

Finally got my new set of valve covers.WM bought these MOROSO`s from Summit and the quality is great comparing to those pots i got last time! 8-) :lol: :o Just made breather holes and bolted on,easy as it should be!
DSC00146.JPG