Quadrajet

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
The Mindless Philosopher

Re: Quadrajet

Post by The Mindless Philosopher »

knockdolian wrote:
The Mindless Philosopher wrote:
hogv8 wrote:All I can say I don't see how I could get any quicker response or better ecceleration than I have now with my Stage ll Quadrajet . Thing is instant .
Carburetor Mike works magic with these things! Mine is a Stage II as well.
Even a stage 11 mikes carburettor won’t work with no fuel. Sorry mate, couldn’t resist !!!
HA!!! Indeed! No worries!
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

Buggy, went for another ride today. Good news the secondary’s are working great. I know that because I had never heard them kick in before or felt the kick in the back lik that. However riding aroun it was fine then started running rough again. Even with the primary’s running rough the secondary’s still work fine. This has happened before and a good dose of Wynn’s carb cleaner cured it for about a week. So in guessing something is sticking somewhere. Can anyone advise please ?
The Mindless Philosopher

Are you sure it's still fuel related and not a compound problem that the secondaries are temporarily smoothing out, masking a different issue? Too much vertical play in the distributor shaft, perhaps? Jumping timing now and then? Not trying to over-analyze this, but I've been through hell with my trike. It's had truckloads of inter-related problems over the years.
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

The Mindless Philosopher wrote:Are you sure it's still fuel related and not a compound problem that the secondaries are temporarily smoothing out, masking a different issue? Too much vertical play in the distributor shaft, perhaps? Jumping timing now and then? Not trying to over-analyze this, but I've been through hell with my trike. It's had truckloads of inter-related problems over the years.
No mate, in a word. This has all come about from me not riding it very much last year and the shit they put in fuel these days. Tank off, a good squirt of Wynn’s carb cleaner and it runs sweet as a nut and now the secondary are opening WOW. So tonight after the test ride the carb has had a real good soaking. I’ll do this for a couple of nights and see how things are at the weekend
The Mindless Philosopher

knockdolian wrote:
The Mindless Philosopher wrote:Are you sure it's still fuel related and not a compound problem that the secondaries are temporarily smoothing out, masking a different issue? Too much vertical play in the distributor shaft, perhaps? Jumping timing now and then? Not trying to over-analyze this, but I've been through hell with my trike. It's had truckloads of inter-related problems over the years.
No mate, in a word. This has all come about from me not riding it very much last year and the shit they put in fuel these days. Tank off, a good squirt of Wynn’s carb cleaner and it runs sweet as a nut and now the secondary are opening WOW. So tonight after the test ride the carb has had a real good soaking. I’ll do this for a couple of nights and see how things are at the weekend
Great to hear!

I'm gonna toss some fuel system cleaner in mine as well. I have no doubt it will help mine, too.

I'm glad your ride is making your eyes bulge now!
Puff

Post by Puff »

Try adding some Octane Booster.
This seems to help, as well as using
a little bit of Seafoam every 3rd or 4th
tankful of gas. :ridding:
Bill Van Sant

The Mindless Philosopher

Puff wrote:Try adding some Octane Booster.
This seems to help, as well as using
a little bit of Seafoam every 3rd or 4th
tankful of gas. :ridding:
Will do! Thanx much!
Foose1986

Post by Foose1986 »

hogv8 wrote:All I can say I don't see how I could get any quicker response or better ecceleration than I have now with my Stage ll Quadrajet . Thing is instant .
Can I ask what the price and turnaround time was for his Stage 2 mod? I've been contemplating doing it this winter.
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Foose1986 wrote:
Can I ask what the price and turnaround time was for his Stage 2 mod? I've been contemplating doing it this winter.
He did mine several years ago and I think it was under $300.00 . I'M Sure it could be more now but we'll worth it as far as I'm concerned .