Swapped 1157 Running Lights for LED's

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
The Mindless Philosopher

Swapped 1157 Running Lights for LED's

Post by The Mindless Philosopher »

I removed the amber GM 1157 dual-pole running lights/turn signals from my Boss Hoss' Harley-Davidson style bullet housings and replaced them with a set of LED's that function as amber turn signals with "white" halo running lights around the signals.

They just sat there and looked at me all stupid until I removed the mixed-load flasher and replaced it with a no-load unit, then "PRESTO!" Magic!

Them suckers is bright!

I turned the key and tested the signals and all other lights several times to see whether anything flaky might happen. So far, so good. Everything is doing what it's supposed to.

These things are a lot brighter than stock. They appear to be a worthwhile upgrade, considering the lights came from China (I'm always leery of that). I paid $24.68 for the pair (free shipping).
Attachments
1157 LED Flashers.jpg
Paul H

Re: Swapped 1157 Running Lights for LED's

Post by Paul H »

Great find AND solved you troubles. GREAT.

Paul H
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

The Mindless Philosopher wrote:I removed the amber GM 1157 dual-pole running lights/turn signals from my Boss Hoss' Harley-Davidson style bullet housings and replaced them with a set of LED's that function as amber turn signals with "white" halo running lights around the signals.

They just sat there and looked at me all stupid until I removed the mixed-load flasher and replaced it with a no-load unit, then "PRESTO!" Magic!

Them suckers is bright!

I turned the key and tested the signals and all other lights several times to see whether anything flaky might happen. So far, so good. Everything is doing what it's supposed to.

These things are a lot brighter than stock. They appear to be a worthwhile upgrade, considering the lights came from China (I'm always leery of that). I paid $24.68 for the pair (free shipping).
Where did you buy them ?
The Mindless Philosopher

Ebay. Probably not the best source, but I figured for that price they were worth a try. I'm pretty sure I saw the same ones (brand-named, though) at J&P Cycles.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-LED-Turn-Si ... 2749.l2649
Last edited by The Mindless Philosopher on Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Mindless Philosopher

Here are name-brand pieces ($89.99) from J&P Cycles:

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/136-82 ... al-inserts
The Mindless Philosopher

As far as installation goes, the Chinese knock-offs have no grip for twisting the 1157 style barrels into the sockets, so I used a pair of needle-nosed pliers as a handle. I spread them open to apply pressure against the inner edges of each barrel (there's enough of a lip). That did the trick. Nice 'n' easy.
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

So apparently they come in amber or red ?
The Mindless Philosopher

Yep.

The ones I got have white halo rings as running lights and amber centers for turn signals.

Other sellers offer the same product in different colors. Some are red, some are 100% amber, and some are 100% white. It all depends on the seller and what they're offering.
The Mindless Philosopher

Here is the no-load signal flasher I am using. The brand is "Keep it Clean" and it appears to be quite popular among some hot rodding circles.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/No-Load-LED-Ta ... :rk:1:pf:0

The terminals are marked "X" and "L." If I recall correctly, the "X" terminal is for the hot wire and "L" is for ground.

As you can see, it's a direct replacement for the GM tin can flasher.

$7.95 (free shipping) and is shipped from Santa Clara, California.
Attachments
no-load flasher 2.jpg
no-load flasher 1.jpg