Thinking about getting away from the ape hangers...

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Jack

Thinking about getting away from the ape hangers...

Post by Jack »

After the accident, my ape hangers are bent, and the risers stripped. So, I'm thinking this may be the opportunity to get behind something else...

It's a V8 bike, it's wide, but it's fairly short. The tank is low and I have a fairly long torso. The bars on it are just about shoulder height. A biker buddy mentioned that a smaller set of bars would actually make me look disproportionate to the bike - and make it look small! As crazy as that sounds, low risers with little drag bars - he'd be right!

So, I need a high rise - not sure if I want high risers or a high rise in the bars...
I need them to be wide, the gas tank is wide and handling the bike would be easier with wider grips.
They need to come back to me, so some pull-back is required.

I don't want
- mini-apes
- buckhorns
- beach bars

That has me leaning towards t-bars, where the rise is built into the handlbars... anyone running these on a V8 bike?

Looks like a combination of pull-back in the risers and the bars may be needed to keep me from leaning forward. I have a bad back and neck, leaning forward is off the table.

Thanks in advance,
Jack
1998 Wild One Custom - Homebuilt
hogv8

Re: Thinking about getting away from the ape hangers...

Post by hogv8 »

Jack wrote:After the accident, my ape hangers are bent, and the risers stripped. So, I'm thinking this may be the opportunity to get behind something else...

It's a V8 bike, it's wide, but it's fairly short. The tank is low and I have a fairly long torso. The bars on it are just about shoulder height. A biker buddy mentioned that a smaller set of bars would actually make me look disproportionate to the bike - and make it look small! As crazy as that sounds, low risers with little drag bars - he'd be right!

So, I need a high rise - not sure if I want high risers or a high rise in the bars...
I need them to be wide, the gas tank is wide and handling the bike would be easier with wider grips.
They need to come back to me, so some pull-back is required.

I don't want
- mini-apes
- buckhorns
- beach bars

That has me leaning towards t-bars, where the rise is built into the handlbars... anyone running these on a V8 bike?

Looks like a combination of pull-back in the risers and the bars may be needed to keep me from leaning forward. I have a bad back and neck, leaning forward is off the table.

Thanks in advance,
Jack
I've been running drag t bar for years and they are very comfortable for me , I'm 6'2" . Check my picture.
Paul H

Post by Paul H »

I have always liked the HD Heritage Soft Tail bars.
They come back to you then go out wide and flat.
I'm guessing you have 1" bars??? With these bars
if you get them you can set them up on the bike,
then see what length riser you need to put them
where you need them to be. Check them out on
E bay first. IMHO.

Paul H
Jack

Post by Jack »

Hey Jack,

Any pics from behind the bars? Do you recall the rise and pull back on them?

Thanks for the suggestion Paul, I’ll start searching.
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Jack wrote:Hey Jack,

Any pics from behind the bars? Do you recall the rise and pull back on them?

Thanks for the suggestion Paul, I’ll start searching.
I don't have any pictures taken from behind the bike but I do have some good side views . I know the are 10" high , I and I think 6" pullback . I know Gerry from Orlando bought the same bars for his bike . Help us out Gerry please .
Jack

Post by Jack »

Thanks Brother!