What an idiot I am!

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
rocketsteve

What an idiot I am!

Post by rocketsteve »

This will make you smile...

I've been filling up the radiator each time I return home as it's been dribbling out the overflow pipe whenever I park up after riding.

Been doing this for a few weeks now and so I've bought a nice polished 350ml Ally expansion tank to fit next week, that should cure the dribble.

So this morning I leveled the bike to do a few odd-jobs and though I have a look inside the Rad filler cap expecting it to be empty again - what the hell, it's full of water. :dunno:

Of course, I've been overfilling it at an angle on the side stand. :doh:
To test a man's character, give him (Hoss) power.
The Mindless Philosopher

Re: What an idiot I am!

Post by The Mindless Philosopher »

D'OH!!!
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

Oooo Steve, I would have kept that one to myself !!!
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

If it holds more coolant when on the side stand, then that is when you want to fill the cooling system and add a overflow reservoir as you planned. You do not want air in your cooling system and a reservoir will maintain your level correctly.
rocketsteve

Post by rocketsteve »

This is the stuff I'm happy to tell others about Paul, the rest is really bad and kept Top Secret. :rofl:

Cheer's Shane, I'll get to grips with the bottle later this week. :thumbup:
To test a man's character, give him (Hoss) power.
Ron Radulski

Post by Ron Radulski »

SRF wrote:If it holds more coolant when on the side stand, then that is when you want to fill the cooling system and add a overflow reservoir as you planned. You do not want air in your cooling system and a reservoir will maintain your level correctly.
Shane, when I met Bryan Ward this past March at Daytona Bike Week he gave me a tip on filling the radiator as to not have air pockets in the radiator either. This tip is ONLY if you have the reservoir "catch can" on your radiator. Begin by turning on power to make your water pump run. DO NOT START ENGINE! When the water pump is activated, it brings down the coolant level in your radiator. Remove your radiator cap. Now top off the radiator with added coolant. Put your radiator cap back on. Now turn the power back off to the water pump. Your radiator is now filled to it's maximum capacity. Just REMEMBER if you check your radiator's level from this point on, you MUST have the power on to make your water pump activate again. If not, when you remove the cap to check your level, if will overflow from the radiator fill (where your radiator cap turns into). Thanks again Bryan Ward, for this good information.