Why these holes?????

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Why these holes?????

Post by CanuckHoss »

Why would someone drill these in an intake???

Asking for a friend!! no really!! For a friend!!
Attachments
28827519_1524642934324325_2007058929254576446_o.jpg
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
Wild Bill

Re: Why these holes?????

Post by Wild Bill »

Effectively, this acts like a crude internal PCV, I’m assuming.

Wondering if a trick, hidden, under-intake nitrous system was previously employed and fuel/nitrous solenoid nozzles were routed up from below the intake.

WB
"A true hotrodder wouldn't be content until he had created a vehicle so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo
Jack

Post by Jack »

Looks like they are chamfered too?
1998 Wild One Custom - Homebuilt
Orlando606VetteTrike

Post by Orlando606VetteTrike »

What Wild Bill said.
2008 606 Corvette Trike
Ulyssesj

Post by Ulyssesj »

Wild Bill wrote:Effectively, this acts like a crude internal PCV, I’m assuming.

Wondering if a trick, hidden, under-intake nitrous system was previously employed and fuel/nitrous solenoid nozzles were routed up from below the intake.

WB
It would be a plumbing/wiring nitemare to have the nitrous come from below. Not to mention servicing it should something go wrong. It is the wrong position for pcv mod. People try this trick to equalize the intake tracks. Trying to make the duel plane act like a single plane intake. It won’t make a measurable change in the way the engine runs or acts. If it did, manufactures of the intakes would have incorperated it long ago. Most likely with removeable plugs so you can run with or without. But as of now I have not seen any holes where they don’t belong. Was probably an internet forum thing. So it must have merrit.

Ulyssesj
bossone

Post by bossone »

Oil fill tube. Value cover did not have holes especially in older cars. some have a bung welded on that will accept a PCV valve to help keep the engine free of crank pressure. Mid to late 60's corvette and camaro's had them.
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

It is on a Boss Hoss smallblock intake that a friend is putting FAST EFI on..the same EFI we installed on a SB and BB.

Thanks guys
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
Ulyssesj

Post by Ulyssesj »

bossone wrote:Oil fill tube. Value cover did not have holes especially in older cars. some have a bung welded on that will accept a PCV valve to help keep the engine free of crank pressure. Mid to late 60's corvette and camaro's had them.
What? Please explain. These holes are no where near valve covers. Your input to the thread is confusing, just asking for clarity as I may be missing something?

Ulyssesj
rocketsteve

Post by rocketsteve »

Shame I didn't take a photo of mine while it was all dismantled - I didn't have those holes on my manifold, mine is a Holley with a single square'ish aperture opening down into all 8 intake ports on two split levels.

I see this one is divided into left & right so I wonder if it's to equalise some pressure?
To test a man's character, give him (Hoss) power.
bossone

Post by bossone »

Ulyssesj wrote:
bossone wrote:Oil fill tube. Value cover did not have holes especially in older cars. some have a bung welded on that will accept a PCV valve to help keep the engine free of crank pressure. Mid to late 60's corvette and camaro's had them.
What? Please explain. These holes are no where near valve covers. Your input to the thread is confusing, just asking for clarity as I may be missing something?

Ulyssesj
It was a way to relieve crank pressure via manifold because some older vehicle did not have holes for breather on valve cover. Such as aforementioned 60's Corvette and camaro's. Was even used to to pour oil into engine. Barry, I pretty sure that manifold came off of an order vehicle.
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

I keep hearing complaints of no technical posts and then I see a simple question like this posted for 26 hours and not one correct answer. A few seconds on Google and the answer could be found. So why would someone ask technical questions here? That is not an old or modified intake manifold. It is a stock ZZ4 intake manifold and the the holes have always been there. The holes connect to the egr port where the the egr valve should mount but instead have a block off plate installed on these bikes.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=why+does+an+intake ... +bottom%3F
Attachments
20180325_184417.jpg
20180325_184405.jpg
Jack

Post by Jack »

So I should stop pouring oil down the holes or pour it in both at the same time?
1998 Wild One Custom - Homebuilt
Ulyssesj

Post by Ulyssesj »

SRF wrote:I keep hearing complaints of no technical posts and then I see a simple question like this posted for 26 hours and not one correct answer. A few seconds on Google and the answer could be found. So why would someone ask technical questions here? That is not an old or modified intake manifold. It is a stock ZZ4 intake manifold and the the holes have always been there. The holes connect to the egr port where the the egr valve should mount but instead have a block off plate installed on these bikes.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=why+does+an+intake ... +bottom%3F
Sorry, not on the stock one I just finished, maybe was not stock; or they forgot to take the old Makita to it. But good on you for correcting the information. Now that we have been informed, we can move on. Just remember guys, google your questions first. Then ask. It wil be less painful.

Ulyssesj