Black Hole.

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
rocketsteve

Black Hole.

Post by rocketsteve »

Following in the footsteps of Jacks topic "Questions"...

I've been debating this hole with Paul and we both have it - which is open to the atmosphere and prone to letting dirt and water etc. into the engine.

More than likely something for the GM car which I'd like to block with a bolt - but do we all have this tapped hole in our Crank Casings with nothing in it?
Attachments
DSCN0802_LI.jpg
To test a man's character, give him (Hoss) power.
Ulyssesj

Re: Black Hole.

Post by Ulyssesj »

What's actually getting into the engine? There does not seem to be oil or coolant coming out? If it was venting crank pressure you'd expect to feel some sort of pressure there as well as oil residue. Where is the water and nasty's that you think are entering the engine actually going? If nothing is coming out, nothings going in. Maybe I'm missing something?

Ulyssesj
Jack

Post by Jack »

I'm with Ulyssesj... if nothing is coming out, nothing is going in.

How deep is the hole? When you stick something in it, what is on the other end? Oil?

FWIW - I think I have a clamp bolted down using that hole. It holds a vacuum line for my clutch booster.
1998 Wild One Custom - Homebuilt
rocketsteve

Post by rocketsteve »

The dirt & water would be from washing & cleaning the bike then hosing her down afterwards. Not a great deal of dirt & water I'm sure but I'd prefer to keep out any muck.

Thin wire in the hole just seems to carry on down, I've put a bolt in there now but just wondered if others had an open hole there...
To test a man's character, give him (Hoss) power.
mmaupin

Post by mmaupin »

Mine has the same hole. Stuck a TIG rod down the hole. It bottoms out at about 3 inches.
Regards,

Mark