brake light stays on

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
buyarbi

brake light stays on

Post by buyarbi »

I have an 02 bike . Brake light always on. Power is running constantly to tail light and brake light.
Put new rear brake light switch in. The old one was not working.
The switch is now working but still constant power to brake and tail light at rear fender without putting on rear brake.
There is also constant power between the 2 wires at the back brake light switch without depressing brake.
Bypassed rear brake switch and direct wired brake light to battery and light worked. Direct wired tail light to battery and it worked work.
I can not see any wiring going to front brake. Is there a switch in the front brake lever
Update
Both tail and brake lights work when connected directly to battery. Does anyone have a wiring diagram
Any suggestions :frustrated:
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Re: brake light stays on

Post by SRF »

Yes there is a brake light switch in the front lever, I have had to replace mine several times. Although if lights are stuck on probably more likely and adjustment of the actuator level or controls assembly and may not need a part at all.

Shane
buyarbi

Post by buyarbi »

Thanks Shane . I will look closer at front brake lever .
Update
The problem was with the front brake switch. It is a small ball on the case that the starter switch is in.
The front brake assembly has to push up against the case so the ball is pushed in the case far enough to open the circuit so it is constantly open.
When the front brake lever is pulled the ball pops out just enough to complete the circuit.
If the brake lever assembly is not up against the case it will not push the ball in far enough when you release the brake.
It has been a while since I have had to do anything to my bike. :capwin:
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

If you take a wire off the rear brake light switch and light stays on it will be the front. If they are Harley controls a small tang on the leaver can brake off. The front switch is push to brake and out to make.
buyarbi

Post by buyarbi »

That would be to easy.
The Mindless Philosopher

Post by The Mindless Philosopher »

knockdolian wrote:If you take a wire off the rear brake light switch and light stays on it will be the front. If they are Harley controls a small tang on the leaver can brake off. The front switch is push to brake and out to make.
I fought and fought with that nasty little brass paddle on my H-D control. Finally got sick of it and installed a dual purpose banjo bolt/pressure switch on the hand brake reservoir. Happy as a lark ever since.