502 Intake manifold question

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

502 Intake manifold question

Post by CanuckHoss »

Can someone explain their thoughts on why there is a crossover tube in the manifold at the back???
Attachments
502Manifold.jpg
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
Paul H

Re: 502 Intake manifold question

Post by Paul H »

So as to let the coolent equalize between the right
and left heads. Orlando 502 says he has removed
this from his 502.

Paul H
randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

Do all 502's have this cross over ?? I don't recall seeing that on my 07...although I do miss a lot of things..
phpBB [video]
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

I had to ask because the new / lower deck manifold that came in today did not have them and it was obvious that someone added them...factory???

We decided on a new manifold that is almost 2 inches shorter in height to help fit the Holley Fi between the frame rails..
CanuckHoss

Paul H

Post by Paul H »

Barry, did you go a 180 degree or a 360 degree intake???
The 180 is like a stock 350 or 502 would have had.
360 is where you can look right through the intake
in the head???
The 180 will give much better bottom end power
where the 360 will come in above 3 grand RPM.
Now if you had direct port injection it wouldn't matter,
cause the fuel is mixed right at the head intake port.

Paul H
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Paul H wrote:Barry, did you go a 180 degree or a 360 degree intake???
The 180 is like a stock 350 or 502 would have had.
360 is where you can look right through the intake
in the head???
The 180 will give much better bottom end power
where the 360 will come in above 3 grand RPM.
Now if you had direct port injection it wouldn't matter,
cause the fuel is mixed right at the head intake port.

Paul H
I am not a gear head...I believe we got the single plane because it was lower versus the taller stock dual plane...make sense??

At the end of the day I should feel almost twice the HP I had due to a cable holding the throttle from much more than half throttle, running quite rich, AND now I can have a 100% bigger air filter AND the efficient Fuel Injection...can;t wait!!
CanuckHoss

Orlando606VetteTrike

Post by Orlando606VetteTrike »

I was told it was to improve warmer coolant flow from the rear of the engine and heads. I didn't care for the extra bulk of lines cluttering up that area of the engine. But, before I removed them I consulted with numerous engine builders and Boss Hoss dealers who said they weren't needed and removed them. So that's what I did. I haven't had any heating issues since. My greatest improvement to my cooling woes was to install Spal rubber surround on my fan. So now I don't have all that air escaping around my fan, but flowing through the radiator. :-)
2008 606 Corvette Trike
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Thanks Gerry....
CanuckHoss

hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

orlando502 wrote:I was told it was to improve warmer coolant flow from the rear of the engine and heads. I didn't care for the extra bulk of lines cluttering up that area of the engine. But, before I removed them I consulted with numerous engine builders and Boss Hoss dealers who said they weren't needed and removed them. So that's what I did. I haven't had any heating issues since. My greatest improvement to my cooling woes was to install Spal rubber surround on my fan. So now I don't have all that air escaping around my fan, but flowing through the radiator. :-)
Gerry , never heard of this fan surround , what's the part#.
Thanks , Jack
Orlando606VetteTrike

Spal Replacement Fan Shroud Gaskets IX-30130074
2008 606 Corvette Trike
Ron Radulski

Post by Ron Radulski »

Hey Jack Hog V8, I just looked up on Spal's website that part number. There isn't a IX prefix before the number. Just the number:30130074. It's for a 16" fan. Is that what we have on our SB ZZ4's, or is it a 14" fan? Triker
Last edited by Ron Radulski on Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack

Post by Jack »

If you're not pulling ECTs from both heads you'll never know if you have a "problem" ... most of us get ECT from the port in the intake manifold and get by just fine.

I know what you mean about finding a short manifold to fit toys on the bike... mine came with a Weiand Xcelerator... and if anyone was curious it is (by far) the shortest intake I could find for a small block. I think it beats the closest competition by at least 1/4" if I recall correctly.
1998 Wild One Custom - Homebuilt
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Jack wrote:If you're not pulling ECTs from both heads you'll never know if you have a "problem" ... most of us get ECT from the port in the intake manifold and get by just fine.

I know what you mean about finding a short manifold to fit toys on the bike... mine came with a Weiand Xcelerator... and if anyone was curious it is (by far) the shortest intake I could find for a small block. I think it beats the closest competition by at least 1/4" if I recall correctly.

Smallblocks are an easier fit by far than a BB when it comes to frame interference and carbs or FI bodies... I maybe just should have changed the BB to a radical new Fi SB...I guess next time...
CanuckHoss

Jack

Post by Jack »

Yeah, can't speak to that at all. Just know space is super cramped for me and I couldn't run a bigger intake if I tried. I don't have 1/8" of room.
1998 Wild One Custom - Homebuilt
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

orlando502 wrote:Spal Replacement Fan Shroud Gaskets IX-30130074
Gerry , I installed the fan surround on my 14 " fan . Had to cut 4 sections out of the 16" surround to make it fit my the 14" fan but it came out perfect and fits like a glove . I can see where this should be a great improvement in the fans air flow thru the radiator .
Anyone else thinking of doing this don't let the section cuts scare you. If done properly you can barely see the cuts it fits so well . I

Thanks Gerry
Last edited by hogv8 on Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

Barry, Good luck with your FI conversion...Please keep good notes on what is all involved..TWICE the power??? I may be interested :thumbup:
phpBB [video]
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

randy burkey wrote:Barry, Good luck with your FI conversion...Please keep good notes on what is all involved..TWICE the power??? I may be interested :thumbup:

I will Randy...twice the power comes from the fact I was really rich with the Edelbrock and had the transmission cable limiting the throttle to half..the Holley carb before was running even richer but did not have the tranny cable limiting but I never really used all the power..now I will have it ALL at my finger tips..
CanuckHoss

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

So Gerry...still convinced that taking the crossover and hoses off the intake did not affect cooling??

You probably know the reason I am asking...it is in my502 FI thread...heating issues now

Thank you in advance
CanuckHoss

Orlando606VetteTrike

Being that I have 2000 BB, my radiator is smaller than that of the newer years. With that said, since I put the Spal rubber surround on my fan, I don't run over 210 in Orlando heat unless I idle for a long time in traffic. But, once I start riding it cools down.

You even stated that your bike ran on the more rich side with the carb, so now that it is injected, what AFR are you seeing at idle, cruise? It's probably a lot leaner with the injection which might effect your temps.

Food for thought.
2008 606 Corvette Trike
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

orlando502 wrote:Being that I have 2000 BB, my radiator is smaller than that of the newer years. With that said, since I put the Spal rubber surround on my fan, I don't run over 210 in Orlando heat unless I idle for a long time in traffic. But, once I start riding it cools down.

You even stated that your bike ran on the more rich side with the carb, so now that it is injected, what AFR are you seeing at idle, cruise? It's probably a lot leaner with the injection which might effect your temps.

Food for thought.
Yes leaner would affect temps but I don't think to the point that I am having issues.

Before I could sit in 5mph stop and go traffic at 75 to 80 F for an hour and be close to 210...now I an in 40 degree for 3 minutes and getting close to 210...it would be unrideable in town in 60 degrees even..so the change i am having is huge...
CanuckHoss

Orlando606VetteTrike

CanuckHoss wrote:
orlando502 wrote:Being that I have 2000 BB, my radiator is smaller than that of the newer years. With that said, since I put the Spal rubber surround on my fan, I don't run over 210 in Orlando heat unless I idle for a long time in traffic. But, once I start riding it cools down.

Food for thought.
Yes leaner would affect temps but I don't think to the point that I am having issues.

Before I could sit in 5mph stop and go traffic at 75 to 80 F for an hour and be close to 210...now I an in 40 degree for 3 minutes and getting close to 210...it would be unrideable in town in 60 degrees even..so the change i am having is huge...
I'm not using a thermostat, distilled water, very little coolant and water wetter.
2008 606 Corvette Trike
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

orlando502 wrote:
CanuckHoss wrote:

Food for thought.

I'm not using a thermostat, distilled water, very little coolant and water wetter.
We cannot get away without thermostats here...at least a 160 is required. I have run in temp 40F and less and the motor temp does not get above 120 without a thermostat and that is too cold for a V8..even 160 might be questionable as Chev says the 502 should have a 180 and that is why the 180 was put in..was in the kit for the gaskets and rebuild we did and nobody noticed.
CanuckHoss

Bryan Ward

Post by Bryan Ward »

Barry, you mentioned the bike ran hot with the 180 thermostat.

Did you try the 160 degree thermostat as I suggested? if so, how is the running temp now?

Bryan

Bryan Ward
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Bryan Ward wrote:Barry, you mentioned the bike ran hot with the 180 thermostat.

Did you try the 160 degree thermostat as I suggested? if so, how is the running temp now?

Bryan
Bryan...a new 160 is now in...rode it home from the shop only a week ago then parked due to cold weather...

The next 4 days are actually over 70 F so I will be riding and checking the temps...

Possibility that there is a sending unit problem to the Boss Hoss temp gauge as it and the Holley FI temps are out by 20 degrees most of the time...bike gauge shows 20 hotter..

Have a new sender coming..
CanuckHoss

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Bryan Ward wrote:Barry, you mentioned the bike ran hot with the 180 thermostat.

Bryan
Check my post I just did on the 502 EFI thread
CanuckHoss