2004 Boss Hoss 350 ZZ4 No Spark

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Gooch1963

2004 Boss Hoss 350 ZZ4 No Spark

Post by Gooch1963 »

I purchased a 2004 Boss Hoss with a 350 ZZ4 in June, since then I completely rebuilt the distributor after I lost spark the first time to include;
pick up coil;
ignition module;
rotor button & cap;
new spark plugs and wires.

Since the inital rebuild of the distributor I have had another no spark issue this time it burnt the coil wires, I'm riding down the road and the bike just stalls out like I ran out of fuel, put fuel in it and still once start, pulled out a spark plug, grounded it and turned the bike over and still no spark. Took all the parts back to NAPA except the pick up coil and had them replaced with all brand new stuff, reinstalled everything and still no spark. Can anyone point me in the right direction here, what should I be looking at, I do use the kill switch prior to turning off the key, I have cut 2 holes on the seat pan to allow some hot air to be released. Please any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
knockdolian

Re: 2004 Boss Hoss 350 ZZ4 No Spark

Post by knockdolian »

I really dont know anthing about this type of distributor or ignition system but happy to learn. My first point of call would be to see if you have power (hot wire) to the distributor when ignition is on. If not take a wire straight from tne battery.
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

Does the rotor turn when cranking the engine with the cap off?
Jack

Post by Jack »

And if not, can you turn it by hand?
This would imply that your distributor gear is "gone".
1998 Wild One Custom - Homebuilt
Gooch1963

Post by Gooch1963 »

Yes the rotor turns, I'm going to try and run a direct power wire from the battery to the distributor battery side, will have an inline fuse and a toggle switch.
Orlando606VetteTrike

Post by Orlando606VetteTrike »

Check and make sure the handlebar kill switch is not malfunctioning.
2008 606 Corvette Trike
Gooch1963

Post by Gooch1963 »

How do you check the handlebar kill switch?
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

On a couple of my bikes I put an LED..small one...just under the tanks where I could see it..I wired it into the power wire running to the distributor...that way I knew that if power was going to the distributor then it was a problem in the distributor...eliminated kill switch trouble shooting...
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
Jack

Post by Jack »

Does the handlebar switch control power to fans/fuel pump as well? If so, you'd be able to hear a fuel pump turn on with the switch, that would imply that it is working. I don't know if that is the case, just throwing it out there.
1998 Wild One Custom - Homebuilt
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

Bearing in mind mine is earlr. If you can crank the bike on the handlebar switch everything is good until the bars. The same power suppy feeds the start switch and kill switch. Check with a volt meter to see if you have power at the distributor. If tbere is no power but you can crank its the kill switch. Its a make/brake switch for the dizzy and thats all.
hope that helps
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

The Best thing to do is what the Canuk suggested. Interrupt the wire powering the Dist through a small LED to verify Power to the Dist. I have a Lighted Toggle switch on mine because the LED on the handlebar switch burned out. I use it as an arm / kill switch.
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
Gooch1963

Post by Gooch1963 »

Sorted out the issue, the coil wasn't grounded properly so it is now and running excellent, thanks for all the help, it is a great group that come to BH owners aid when required.

Thanks all for your responses.

Tom Dorrington
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Canada
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Gooch1963 wrote:Sorted out the issue, the coil wasn't grounded properly so it is now and running excellent, thanks for all the help, it is a great group that come to BH owners aid when required.

Thanks all for your responses.

Tom Dorrington
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Canada
AWESOME Tom....ride away!!!

I see Petitie Moose and I think alike....
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham