Help needed

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Mikie v

Help needed

Post by Mikie v »

I was stopped at a light tonight with my trike when I noticed the RPMs started to drop, I gave some gas and the RMPs went up and stood there even after letting go of the throttle. Engine revving at about 1500-1700 the light changed green and I took off. Went about 50 yards and it felt like the someone had but the trike in neutral let off the throttle revved it again and nothing. Pulled over to the side tried putting the trike in reverse nothing, back in drive nothing. Trans oil level and condition good. After putting the seat back on I started the bike and it went into reverse and drive like nothing happened. Drove trike home shifted, no problem. I noticed the engine light on.
Does anyone out there have any idea what could've went wrong.
3FOR2

Re: Help needed

Post by 3FOR2 »

Can you get a code reader? That would tell the story.
Pat.
2013 Pickup, LS3-445 with Hot Cam
Mikie v

Post by Mikie v »

I accidently erased the code.
Would it have given a Trans code?
craig haymaker

Post by craig haymaker »

Mike, it definitely sounds like computer / sensor related, with the VSS (vech. speed sensor) most likely the issue ! The very symptoms that you are relating, can ALL be caused by a VSS issue ! The VSS and it's 40 tooth (40 pulses per revolution) reluctor ring are mounted on a bracket at the differential input shaft.
Check the bracket for tightness. Inspect the 2- wire VSS plug connection. Check for a clean "sensing face" on the VSS, and that NO groove has been worn into it from the reluctor teeth. Clean the ring's teeth, and verify a gap of around .040-.045" between the VSS face and reluctor teeth (the factory says .004" but that is WAY too close).
You should be good to go then, and please let us know. Craig H.
Mikie v

Post by Mikie v »

craig haymaker wrote:Mike, it definitely sounds like computer / sensor related, with the VSS (vech. speed sensor) most likely the issue ! The very symptoms that you are relating, can ALL be caused by a VSS issue ! The VSS and it's 40 tooth (40 pulses per revolution) reluctor ring are mounted on a bracket at the differential input shaft.
Check the bracket for tightness. Inspect the 2- wire VSS plug connection. Check for a clean "sensing face" on the VSS, and that NO groove has been worn into it from the reluctor teeth. Clean the ring's teeth, and verify a gap of around .040-.045" between the VSS face and reluctor teeth (the factory says .004" but that is WAY too close).
Thanks Craig, definitely going to take a look. Took it out the last 2 days and put about 30-35 miles each time and it ran like nothing happened. But will take a look at the VVS.
Mikie v

Post by Mikie v »

Mikie v wrote:
craig haymaker wrote:Mike, it definitely sounds like computer / sensor related, with the VSS (vech. speed sensor) most likely the issue ! The very symptoms that you are relating, can ALL be caused by a VSS issue ! The VSS and it's 40 tooth (40 pulses per revolution) reluctor ring are mounted on a bracket at the differential input shaft.
Thanks Craig, definitely going to take a look. Took it out the last 2 days and put about 30-35 miles each time and it ran like nothing happened. But will take a look at the VVS.
Everything looks nice and tight and spacing is correct.
craig haymaker

Post by craig haymaker »

Mikie v and anyone with an LS version trike. I had said in my initial response to Mike, that an air gap far in excess of the factory's 0.004" was required ! The 40 tooth reluctor ring is not running concentric or true. I had found around 0.020" run out on mine ! And I found this "only" after I had adjusted the gap to 0.008", then destroyed the VSS and reluctor ring !
Now this ring "can" be set up to run true, which I will do once I receive the new one from BH. I had wondered why the factory had used a 0.045"+ flat washer as the shim, and now I know why ! So anyone running a VSS off the differential yoke; "Do not attempt to adjust the VSS air gap w/o first checking the ring's run out. Run out can easily be trued up by loosening the 4- bolts (12 point 1/2" socket) axle jacked up, wheels off the ground and in neutral.
Craig H.
Update: the new 40-tooth reluctor rings now being used, have a very small protrusion in the center on one side of each 1/2 ring's mating surface. This reduces the "bolt to hole" slop, thus the run out. Further fine adjustment allowed me to run an air gap of 0.011".