Adding a handlebar rear brake

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Bhilldw0111

Adding a handlebar rear brake

Post by Bhilldw0111 »

OK guys, I tried to put this on earlier but I don't see it so I'll try again, If it gets on twice, I'm sorry. I wanted to show, for anyone who would like better brakes, the way I did mine. I have a 98 and an 02, both two wheelers. I took the rear caliper from the 02 and used it on the 98, along with the original one already on the 98. I had to buy 2 new ones from wildwood for the 02. I torched out two new mounting plates and drilled and tapped the caliper holes, and painted with a spray can. You could have them cut out by a better method but this was my way, (cheap, and it works) No chrome or powder coat, as was not entering in a show. Bought 2 new handlebar master cylinders on ebay and brake lines and fittings came from Drag Specialties through Harley (ouch). These set ups work really well and when using foot and both hands, you will stop quickly. Hand brake and foot brake will easily lock up the tire. Cost with 2 new calipers was just under $500 on the 02, cost on the 98 was a tad over $200 using existing calipers. (Ricky, Something similar to this might make a good selling option on new bikes) Now to try to add pictures.......Bob Hill
Attachments
001.JPG
079.JPG
hogv8

Re: Adding a handlebar rear brake

Post by hogv8 »

Bill I really like your set up and plan on doing the same on my 2000.What Wilwood brake pads did you use ?
Bhilldw0111

Post by Bhilldw0111 »

hogv8 wrote:Bill I really like your set up and plan on doing the same on my 2000.What Wilwood brake pads did you use ?
I used what came with the black calipers and used what was already in the silver ones I think they are 150-8850K
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Just one more quick question , what part # Wilwood caliper did you use ?
Tom Lee

Post by Tom Lee »

Just a thought, would it work to incorporate the second caliper on the rear with the front brake circuit? Just thinking.

Tom
502wingman

Post by 502wingman »

And also add one front brake (disc) to the footbrake. Lots of the newer bikes (GoldWing since 1989 !) have that combo to brake more efficient. Would be a good solution for older bikes without power brakes.
New bikes with Abs need power brakes.
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
Bhilldw0111

Post by Bhilldw0111 »

502wingman wrote:And also add one front brake (disc) to the footbrake. Lots of the newer bikes (GoldWing since 1989 !) have that combo to brake more efficient. Would be a good solution for older bikes without power brakes.
New bikes with Abs need power brakes.
A motorcycle is not like a car and (IMO) should not be treated as such. The driver, not the motorcycle, should decide, from experience, along with some common sense when to, and how much to apply front brake. I, for one would never want a front brake automatically being applied with my rear brake all the time or any of the time. Road surfaces should dictate this, along with how much of a curve and your travel speed. I am driving my own ride, these are just my feelings about this subject, everyone has to decide for him/her self. And about adding the second rear caliper to the front brake, I don't see why you would do this, but yes you could as long as the Master cyl and reservoir had enough capacity to operate 3 calipers. You would just put a tee in the line for the extra caliper, I think.......Bob Hill
Bhilldw0111

Post by Bhilldw0111 »

hogv8 wrote:Just one more quick question , what part # Wilwood caliper did you use ?
Jack, the caliper numbers are:

Stainless steel finish- 120-6798-P $ 191.10 each

Black finish- 120-6813 $ 134.94 each

Wilwood Phone number to order- 805-388-1188

You can go to the Wilwood website and go to calipers, these are called Forged Dynalite. They have different piston bores, but these are what I used.
Bhilldw0111

Post by Bhilldw0111 »

My feelings about ABS on a motorcycle... If you are not really sure about which brake and how hard to push or pull so as not to cause your bike to go into a skid, then you probably don't need to even ride a moped and you damn sure should keep your ass off a bike with a v8 engine. Maybe a sports car would be safer, and most of them have ABS.
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Bhilldw0111 wrote:My feelings about ABS on a motorcycle... If you are not really sure about which brake and how hard to push or pull so as not to cause your bike to go into a skid, then you probably don't need to even ride a moped and you damn sure should keep your ass off a bike with a v8 engine. Maybe a sports car would be safer, and most of them have ABS.
I'm with you 100%, Problem is, ABS is being forced on us by the nanny government and the lawyers and insurance companies. I think they're required in Europe on bikes over a certain size. I've heard nothing bad about the ABS that BMW, and others, use. It seems to work. However, I'd rather do it myself. Been up for 53 years, I think I have it figured out by now
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Bhilldw0111 wrote:
hogv8 wrote:Just one more quick question , what part # Wilwood caliper did you use ?
Jack, the caliper numbers are:

Stainless steel finish- 120-6798-P $ 191.10 each

Black finish- 120-6813 $ 134.94 each

Wilwood Phone number to order- 805-388-1188

You can go to the Wilwood website and go to calipers, these are called Forged Dynalite. They have different piston bores, but these are what I used.
Thank you so much Bill .
Bhilldw0111

Post by Bhilldw0111 »

Carl La Fong wrote:
Bhilldw0111 wrote:My feelings about ABS on a motorcycle... If you are not really sure about which brake and how hard to push or pull so as not to cause your bike to go into a skid, then you probably don't need to even ride a moped and you damn sure should keep your ass off a bike with a v8 engine. Maybe a sports car would be safer, and most of them have ABS.
I'm with you 100%, Problem is, ABS is being forced on us by the nanny government and the lawyers and insurance companies. I think they're required in Europe on bikes over a certain size. I've heard nothing bad about the ABS that BMW, and others, use. It seems to work. However, I'd rather do it myself. Been up for 53 years, I think I have it figured out by now
I don't see any thing dangerous about ABS brakes, unless you are getting on them really hard, you don't know they are there, I just don't feel that I need them. What I do feel is dangerous and outright STUPID is incorporating your front brake with your rear brake. That system can not know when the road is wet or if you are in a curve or there is gravel to contend with. NO THANKS engineers, I'll do it my way.
502wingman

Post by 502wingman »

Nothing against old school, but the world out there is changing. There are many bikes out there today that have Abs and a combo brake.
There are some pretty smart engineers working at BMW and KTM for example. Having no experience with modern bikes and calling these people stupid is more than ignorant.
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
V8Norm

Post by V8Norm »

Rear brake on the handle bar is a great idea.
V8 Chopper has been doing it for years (they have little back brakes on the trike.) 2 calipers
I installed handle bar and foot brake for the rear on the beast. and power brakes.
I did have a problem with the handle bar master, the largest I could find was a 13/16. If I could have found a 7/8 I would have been happier. I have 2 large back calipers from a Jaguar (needs lots of oil!!)
I am planing on a 2 wheel Boss in the near future, and I will be adding a handle bar rear brake. It needs it.
Years ago I had a 2 wheel Boss. I never dropped it. I put about 15,000 miles on it. One day in front of 300 people there was a steep down hill slop and I was making a right sharp turn. I touched the front brake because me feet was not on the pegs yet, and the front end dove down and the Boss went over in slow motion at very slow speed. no damage... just my pride...BUT If I had a rear back brake on the handle bar, that may not have happened.
O no ... cat is out of the bag. I did it!!
Norm
Bhilldw0111

Post by Bhilldw0111 »

502wingman wrote:Nothing against old school, but the world out there is changing. There are many bikes out there today that have Abs and a combo brake.
There are some pretty smart engineers working at BMW and KTM for example. Having no experience with modern bikes and calling these people stupid is more than ignorant.
Wingman, Sorry If I offended anyone in particular, I did not mean to call any one person nor a group of people stupid, and I reread my post. I think what it says is that I think the Idea of using your front brake on all road surfaces at any speed was stupid. You have every right to disagree with my opinion. I am not a novice rider and I have ridden and own Harleys with ABS. But like I said earlier, I don't feel I need it nor that it has ever done me any good. I wont apologize for having an opinion that you so strongly disagree with.
Bhilldw0111

Post by Bhilldw0111 »

V8Norm wrote:Rear brake on the handle bar is a great idea.
V8 Chopper has been doing it for years (they have little back brakes on the trike.) 2 calipers
I installed handle bar and foot brake for the rear on the beast. and power brakes.
I did have a problem with the handle bar master, the largest I could find was a 13/16. If I could have found a 7/8 I would have been happier. I have 2 large back calipers from a Jaguar (needs lots of oil!!)
I am planing on a 2 wheel Boss in the near future, and I will be adding a handle bar rear brake. It needs it.
Years ago I had a 2 wheel Boss. I never dropped it. I put about 15,000 miles on it. One day in front of 300 people there was a steep down hill slop and I was making a right sharp turn. I touched the front brake because me feet was not on the pegs yet, and the front end dove down and the Boss went over in slow motion at very slow speed. no damage... just my pride...BUT If I had a rear back brake on the handle bar, that may not have happened.
O no ... cat is out of the bag. I did it!!
Norm, Thinking about having a slow speed accident such as yours was my main reason that I put this rear hand brake on, Having extra good brakes was just a plus, I find that since I have it I hardly ever even use My foot brake. When I have a need for a quicker stop I use both and it works great. I assume that it would be great going down a steep incline to alternate between the two to avoid overheating but don't know for sure how much good It would be since they use the same rotor and maybe it would gather as much heat no matter which one u use. Maybe I could find out for sure by writing to BMW or KTM.

Bob Hill
502wingman

Post by 502wingman »

@ Bill, no problem at all. It is a lot easier to express what one means by talking live to each other.
You are absolutely right that Abs is not good for every surface. Streetbikes that also go on gravel or even off road have a switch to turn the Abs off for a good reason.

I rode many different bikes in the last decades and the latest generations of these systems are unbelievable. You almost bite the bar by pulling the front brake with two fingers.
Still waiting to get an opportunity to try the very latest "CurveAbs" They say you can lean full speed in a curve and apply an emergency brake and the system will know from your angle, speed, tiresidewall and roadsurface how to brake to the max without sliding.

And yes, I still love the Boss Hoss, even it has the worst brakes of all bikes that I know :capwin:
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

Quote. "have been happier. I have 2 large back calipers from a Jaguar (needs lots of oil!!)".

I have seen trikes here with two master cylinder side by side to shift more oil. That would be an option. I'd like to see photos of your jag calipers
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

I been riding big bikes for 59 years and before that scooters and whizzers. I bought a new Triumph Rocket 3 less than a year ago and it has ABS brakes. The front and rear brakes are separate with the normal foot brake for the rear and handlebar lever for the front. ABS brakes feel just like normal brakes. The difference is in wet or sand or an emergency where you may apply to much brake instinctively causing either tire to skid the ABS will come into play and not allow it. I like the ABS and today which is many years past when ABS first came out it works really good. The Rocket weighs only about 900 lbs so its a lot lighter than my BH but it seem to stop on a dime. I think the handle bar levers for both brakes like on the V8 Chopper is the best set up for motorcycle brakes if the hand pressures needed to lock up each wheel are not to much, after all your foot can exert more pressure than your hand. Both of my V8 bikes stop much worse than I would like but good enough to ride safely. In a perfect world they would stop like the Rocket and I would be bragging about them.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I finished up my dual rear caliper set up and it works great . I finally got a bike that stops good . The bottom caliper is my foot brake and the top caliper is my hand brake . Here's a picture of it .

I'd like to thank Bob Hill for his advise .
Attachments
Boss Rear Brake System 2016.jpg
Orlando606VetteTrike

Post by Orlando606VetteTrike »

Beautifully done Jack. :-)
2008 606 Corvette Trike
Bhilldw0111

Post by Bhilldw0111 »

hogv8 wrote:I finished up my dual rear caliper set up and it works great . I finally got a bike that stops good . The bottom caliper is my foot brake and the top caliper is my hand brake . Here's a picture of it .

I'd like to thank Bob Hill for his advise .
Hey Jack, You did an absolutely great job on this, What did you end up using for a master cylinder?
Bob Hill
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Bob , I ended up using a Harley Sportster 5/8" dia. Rear master cylinder for the top caliper hand brake . I had to fabricate a special bracket for the master cylinder and arm to except the cable pull mechanism on my setup . It works great .

Thanks again Bob for your advise .
Grand Canard

Post by Grand Canard »

hogv8 wrote:Bob , I ended up using a Harley Sportster 5/8" dia. Rear master cylinder for the top caliper hand brake . I had to fabricate a special bracket for the master cylinder and arm to except the cable pull mechanism on my setup . It works great .

Damn Jack, you sure did an excellent job, well engineered, even matching cosmetics; I am very impressed with your bike and your talent, well done Bro.

"Work when you have to,
Quit when you can.
Follow your dream
Be your own man.
Drink when you're thirsty
Whoop when you're high.
Love a good woman...
Ride till you die."
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Grand Canard wrote:
hogv8 wrote:Bob , I ended up using a Harley Sportster 5/8" dia. Rear master cylinder for the top caliper hand brake . I had to fabricate a special bracket for the master cylinder and arm to except the cable pull mechanism on my setup . It works great .

Damn Jack, you sure did an excellent job, well engineered, even matching cosmetics; I am very impressed with your bike and your talent, well done Bro.

Thanks Ricky , just trying to keep this old bike looking and performing as good as I can .