ECM QUESTION FOR BRIAN

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
craig haymaker

ECM QUESTION FOR BRIAN

Post by craig haymaker »

Brian in Lk. Havasu, can BH's ECM's program over time degrade ? I ask this because on my current 57 trike's 485 ECM, the engine's idle is sometimes "now" (and not before) wanting to die when coming to a stop ? Or sometimes it will recover itself just at the last second, with an sudden jump in RPMs ! I will get NO MIL or OBD codes ? Can you please explain this quirky change over time. Thank you so very much Brian, Craig H.
3FOR2

Re: ECM QUESTION FOR BRIAN

Post by 3FOR2 »

Craig,
How many times has it happened to you? I've had it happen twice - once at 600 miles, dealer replaced ECM. Second time at 7000 miles, the factory "Reset TPS".

Doug was pretty sure that's what it was... he said, "I think it will only be TPS % setting. Is there a shop close to you with a tech 2 scanner that we could let reset it and verify quick?"

This seems to be a common issue, maybe/hopefully Brian can pinpoint it.

So, for you, "Is there a shop close to you with a tech 2 scanner that we could let reset it and verify quick?" I think you find someone with a tech 2, and get the factory, or maybe Brian(?) on the phone... let us know what you find...
Pat.
2013 Pickup, LS3-445 with Hot Cam
craig haymaker

Post by craig haymaker »

Thanks Pat for your response. And after thinking about it, I'm pretty sure that you are 100% correct. However what BH is referring to as the TPS, I'm guessing that it's actually the Pedal Position Sensor (PPS). The TPS is internal of the throttle body and non-adjustable. Now if programming changes were made to the TPS , it could only be done by Brian, because our ECMs are locked. I've already been down that road, when BH kept sending me ECMs that would not go into "closed loop" !!
HP Tuners, the old Tech.-2 and GM's newer web based systems, can not get past the "ECM lock". But that is a whole other story that was BH's BAD.
The PPS is inside the black square box (on mine) under the tank, and where our throttle cable ends up. It's a dual output 0-5 & 5-0 VDC POT (like the TPS) that allows Throttle By Wire (TBW). This one can be manually adjusted for starting point VDC, to compensate for cable streach over time, with any live data reading OBD2 scanner. Also at only 8800 mi., I doubt that a "just off idle dead spot" has developed on either the PPS or TPS, but hence the question to Brian ? Brian are you there , LOL. Craig H.
craig haymaker

Post by craig haymaker »

> the factory "Reset TPS".< Just thinking here Pat, and for anyone interested in this thread. If the factory had to actually "reset the TPS", what in the hell does that mean ?
If no parts like the TB has been changed, why ? I have never heard of or owned a vehicle that required a TPS reset ?
I think that I'll just stop here, until Brian responds. Craig
BossHossAZ

Post by BossHossAZ »

Hey guys, I am in Vegas I will formulate a better answer for you as soon as I get back. You guys are on the right track.
Brian and Heather Macy
BossHossAZ
928-706-6112 shop
http://www.horsepowerconnection.com
http://www.theefistore.com