Trans fill tube

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Mikie v

Trans fill tube

Post by Mikie v »

A few months ago I posted that I fixed a trans leak by replacing the gasket and pan, NOT. I replace the gasket for the second and while I was filling it I kept looking around for leaks (running) low and behold it was coming down the fill tube but I know for a fact that I did not spill any fluid. With engine off I had poured some fluid in and noticed it coming down the side of the tube. I removed the tube and blew throw capping one end and noticed the a leakage around the bracket that's screwed to the frame. Can it be that while riding and building up pressure the fluid is going up the tube and leaking out. The reason I ask is that after I removed the tube I plugged up the tube hole and had it running till the fan turned on and off a few times. Any info is appreciated, Thanks.
Buck
$ite $upporter

Re: Trans fill tube

Post by Buck »

some folks have placed a rubber hose, with an adapter, on the top of the filler tube and extended it upward and capped it off with a small air filter.
Buck
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

I assume you are talking about a trike not a bike. You need to weld or jb weld or replace the tube it needs to be sealed.

Shane
Mikie v

Post by Mikie v »

SRF wrote:I assume you are talking about a trike not a bike. You need to weld or jb weld or replace the tube it needs to be sealed.

Shane
Yes a trike and I'll be welding the bracket, I'm just curious if it's normal for the fluid to shoot up that far up the tube.
Mikie v

Post by Mikie v »

Buck wrote:some folks have placed a rubber hose, with an adapter, on the top of the filler tube and extended it upward and capped it off with a small air filter.
Buck
I won't be able to slip a hose over it because the crack is at the bracket.
Buck
$ite $upporter

Post by Buck »

I was referring to a bike
Mikie v

Post by Mikie v »

Thanks Buck, my bad for not mentioning it.
Mikie v

Post by Mikie v »

Just an update. Had the tube welded and put on about 150 miles and at one point had the trike up to 110 mph (to build up some pressure) not a drop of trans oil leaked. Coincident, maybe but I'll take it.
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

Glad it is all working out :thumbup: