Trans Oil and filter change

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Mikie v

Trans Oil and filter change

Post by Mikie v »

I just completed the rear-end cover fix. Now I'm moving on to the tranny. I have 8800 miles on it and since it's up on jacks and leaks drive me crazy I'm going to change the pan gasket. Question is would you also change the filter while you have it opened. The tranny fluid is clean and red. Some car guy told me if your not looking for trouble don't change the filter. What's your opinion?
Imzz4

Re: Trans Oil and filter change

Post by Imzz4 »

I'd change mine if the pan was off , just because it was off . I'd make sure the replacement filter was a quality one and wouldn't expect trouble unless it didn't fit right.
Grand Canard

Post by Grand Canard »

Imzz4 wrote:I'd change mine if the pan was off , just because it was off . I'd make sure the replacement filter was a quality one and wouldn't expect trouble unless it didn't fit right.
I'm confused; all 3 BH's bikes that I own / owned have a stainless mesh filter inside the tranny that gets cleaned every time the oil is changed, the only filter that I replace is the magnetic particle filter every 10k.
Are you cats replacing the stainless mesh filter that is located inside the transmission?
Rick

"Work when you have to,
Quit when you can.
Follow your dream
Be your own man.
Drink when you're thirsty
Whoop when you're high.
Love a good woman...
Ride till you die."
randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

Its a trike
phpBB [video]
Mikie v

Post by Mikie v »

Grand Canard wrote:
Imzz4 wrote:I'd change mine if the pan was off , just because it was off . I'd make sure the replacement filter was a quality one and wouldn't expect trouble unless it didn't fit right.
I'm confused; all 3 BH's bikes that I own / owned have a stainless mesh filter inside the tranny that gets cleaned every time the oil is changed, the only filter that I replace is the magnetic particle filter every 10k.
Are you cats replacing the stainless mesh filter that is located inside the transmission?
Rick
Sorry, forgot to mention it was a trike. My bad. :doh:
V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

Mikie v wrote:I just completed the rear-end cover fix. Now I'm moving on to the tranny. I have 8800 miles on it and since it's up on jacks and leaks drive me crazy I'm going to change the pan gasket. Question is would you also change the filter while you have it opened. The tranny fluid is clean and red. Some car guy told me if your not looking for trouble don't change the filter. What's your opinion?

I agree with Jeff, if you have the pan off to change the gasket WHY NOT change the filter while in there? I'm not sure what car guy would tell you not to change the filter unless you want trouble? I've changed many trans filters and never had an issue (because of the filter change). Use a quality fluid and quality filter and you will be golden in my opinion.

Don
IF YOU TELL THE TRUTH YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMEMBER ANYTHING

3FOR2

Post by 3FOR2 »

"I'm not sure what car guy would tell you not to change the filter unless you want trouble?"

It doesn't make any sense, but I've heard similar - not the filter, but the fluid! A discussion regarding solenoid valves... somebody knows somebody that changed the fluid and then a solenoid valve went bad, thus, "If you don't want any trouble, don't change the transmission fluid." It's just a legend or old wive's tale...
Pat.
2013 Pickup, LS3-445 with Hot Cam
V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

3FOR2 wrote:"I'm not sure what car guy would tell you not to change the filter unless you want trouble?"

It doesn't make any sense, but I've heard similar - not the filter, but the fluid! A discussion regarding solenoid valves... somebody knows somebody that changed the fluid and then a solenoid valve went bad, thus, "If you don't want any trouble, don't change the transmission fluid." It's just a legend or old wive's tale...

It could be exactly what you describe ...

Somebody is having transmission issues (not shifting, slipping, popping out of gear or whatever) and changes the fluid and filter to try and "help" their problem(s). The tranny finaly takes a shit NOT due to changing fluid or filter but because whatever underlying issue was present before the change?! I guess a non mechanical person may want to blame the new fluid or new filter?! But a "car guy" saying this must be a very low branch on the shade-tree mechanic tree!!!!! It just a rediculas statement to make, new fluid or a new trans filter WILL NOT CAUSE YOUR TRANS TO FAIL.
IF YOU TELL THE TRUTH YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMEMBER ANYTHING

mdwdvm

Post by mdwdvm »

[quote="V-MAN new fluid or a new trans filter WILL NOT CAUSE YOUR TRANS TO FAIL.[/quote]

Well maybe it could - if you took the old filter and put it in a very high speed industrial blender/grinder to homogenize it, and then put it back in with the new fluid.
Just sayin.............
:anvil:
Mike Wallace - Watertown, MN
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

:rofl:

Mikie v

Post by Mikie v »

New fluid, new gasket, new filter, no leaks and no problems. Thanks all for sharing your opinions. Gangsta runs great. :thumbup:
Attachments
Tri-state1.jpg