09 Boss Hoss trike gas tank cap

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Ronald
$ite $upporter

09 Boss Hoss trike gas tank cap

Post by Ronald »

:cry: I have a problem with the gas cap, when I fuel the trike, any time I take a left turn, fuel will come out trough the cap, I think is because the cap is also the vent for the tank, it has holes inside the cap which I guess are for ventilation, but gas will leak through them as well, any one has had the same problem and solved it?
Thanks in advance

if it has a solution, why to worry? and if not, why to worry?
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Re: 09 Boss Hoss trike gas tank cap

Post by Iron Maiden »

Hi Ronald, sorry you are having issues with your gas tank but you are like the third person I have heard this from this week. Take a picture or describe your gas cap maybe it is a bad run of caps, if they are all the same brand/type.

Ronald
$ite $upporter

Post by Ronald »

Thanks for your help IM :D
the cap has 2 pin holes and, you can"t see it from the picture, but between the flat plastic washer and the metal, there is also a small gap not sealed to the cap, so I guess the fumes can went through it, but gas will also find the way and spill outside.
I can"t see any name or brandon it
Attachments
IMG_6993.JPG

Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

The other gas caps were kuryakyn brand vented gas cap. If it isn't too much trouble a picture of the top of cap might help. It must be an epidemic- I hope a few guys will have some ideas what and why this might be happening. :popcorn:
Last edited by Iron Maiden on Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ronald
$ite $upporter

Post by Ronald »

When you take the cap apart, you see from the bottom part the little gap I mentioned before that prevent the plastic part seal to the metal, so I don't know if it is designed to work like that (not a good design must say) or there is something wrong with the caps
Attachments
IMG_6995.JPG

V8Bikers
Site Admin

Post by V8Bikers »

Ronald,
do you know how old the caps are? If they are old the plastic/rubber parts may be degraded to the point they are not sealing anymore. I would just buy new caps and be done with it.

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard
Ronald
$ite $upporter

Post by Ronald »

Guess that is the best thing to do, do you know if your bike also vents through the caps? or yours has a different set up? is just to see if any cap will do so or has to be vent caps
Thanks for your help

zyoung

Post by zyoung »

Ronald - I have also been having problems as well on my 2005. So far my solution is to run the tank lower than usual. Mine only does it if the tank is hot. So probably gas expanding and taking the path of least resistance. I have tried different caps, made sure the overflow wasnt clogged, and I still have a couple people scratching their heads. Hopefully my mad scientist friends and I will come up with something. I will keep you updated on my progress.

As far as yours goes, I had to replace my caps a while ago, they were 10 years old and the gasket went out and no matter whether hot or cold it dumped out. Does your only do it when it's hot or all the time?

-Zach
"If it is to be, it is up to me." - Noel Mast

zyoung

Post by zyoung »

Just read your last post, I have vented caps however, I dunno if a vented cap is required on fuel injection or not. Mine is carburated.

Ronald
$ite $upporter

Post by Ronald »

Zyoung, it does it all the time, also living in South Fl, the weather is always warm to hot, but anytime I fill up will do it regardless if it's cold or warm, and when you ride and fuel level goes down, it stops, but running the tank lower, specially with this bike, is not really an option unless you want to stop every 80 miles to fill gas :-(

zyoung

Post by zyoung »

I'm with V8Bikers then. Get new caps and that should solve all problems. :thumbup:

Swiss V8

Post by Swiss V8 »

I remember older Boss Hoss needed vented gas caps and had the same problem.
Later the factory installed a small hose to vent the gas tank and the caps were closed. That little tube is attached under the dash panel. If you have this vent tube, just fill the holes in the plastic in the gas cap with some gas resistand glue, and you are done.

And by the way:
Hi Ronald, great to have you here! :thumbup: :yourwelcome:
You already found one good reason to hang around that very special group! :group_hug:
Martin

BHRA President Europe
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

You should see a small vent pipe just below the cap it runs down and throught the bottom of the tank and connects to a hose. Check and make sure that pipe and hose are clear and you won't need a vented cap. Not sure why but it seems they usually do have vented caps on the bikes. If your gas is getting high enough to run out the cap then it is well over the vent pipe and is already running straight to the ground so there is really no reason to fill it that high you are not getting to use the gas just dumping it on the ground. I would expect if you are filling at or near that level the gas the gas already running out the vent hose causes a restriction for air, if a large air bubble was in the other side of the tank and pushes its way out when you turn the fuel probably finds an easier path out the cap then the vent hose that is already full of fuel running out also.

Shane
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

That looks like the Landmark caps I bought from Mountain in Daytona.

Almost all the caps will leak I think when making a quick left hand turn with the trikes...when quite full...there is a big volume of gas that is going to that cap and the overflow can't take it...my thoughts anyways.
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
Butkicker

Post by Butkicker »

My 09 trike has a pop up cap an not vented an is fuel injected not sure if that makes a diff ?
Ronald
$ite $upporter

Post by Ronald »

I change the cap at Daytona, Doug from Boss Hoss was kind enough to give me another, but the problem remains, so I made sure the vent hose in the tank was clear and with no obstructions and used ceramic compound to block the 2 pinholes for vent on the cap, I did a couple of hard left turns and no spill yet, so hopefully it takes care of the problem, but need to ride more and see if the blocked vent holes won't bring any further problem

Buck
$ite $upporter

Post by Buck »

when I bought my first BH years ago the dealer told me to stop filling the tank when the automatic shutoff on the pump stopped the fuel delivery. To proceed any further one risks the chance of overflow as y'all are/have experienced.
Buck