Lights....Schmites

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Lights....Schmites

Post by Carl La Fong »

Went for a ride Saturday with Squirm and a few others. I noticed, early on, that I had no headlights. I replaced the fuse and all was good. 20 or 30 minutes later, I realized they were out again. In went another fuse and same scenario. I tried a bigger fuse. Same deal. They would work for a while and then, suddenly, no lights. Has to be an intermittent short. I figure, what the hell, I'll just be sure to get home before dark. Yeah, sure. Night riding on the 405, the worst freeway in the nation, was sketchy, but not too bad. The road back to The Fongderosa is unlit and winding, but 30 years of driving it made it instinctive and I got home OK. Yesterday I remover the side cover, the tank and the handlebar switch, looking for the problem. Everything checked out. While sitting in my little rolling seat, I noticed something odd under the license plate. The tire had been contacting the tail light wires ans rubbed through. Each time I hit a good bump, the wires shorted against the plate and blew the fuse. I was so focused on the head light, that I didn't think to check the back of the bike. All of this is because of the new swing arm that I built when I did the Ranger swap. The distance between the pivot and the shock mount is much shorter, so the shocks are way too soft. I need to get with Aldan and see what my options are. I need stiffer springs. If I double up with Wifey, who is only 105 pounds, I can barely make it around a corner without dragging the pipes or the kickstand. Fortunately, Aldan is a short hop from me.
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
hogv8

Re: Lights....Schmites

Post by hogv8 »

You could always raise the bottom shock mounts like a few guys have to gain more road clearance .
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

It already looks like a dirt bike. I need to lower it a bit, but then I'd be in bigger trouble. I have a call in to Aldan Eagle to see what their suggestion is. The whole load/leverage thing is wrong. I removed about 6 inches between the shock mount and the swing arm pivot so the fulcrum is farther forward. I can bounce the rear end up and down easily with my butt
Buck
$ite $upporter

Post by Buck »

I can bounce the rear end up and down easily with my butt
either get stronger springs or a smaller butt

"the unknown biker"
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Carl La Fong wrote:It already looks like a dirt bike. I need to lower it a bit, but then I'd be in bigger trouble. I have a call in to Aldan Eagle to see what their suggestion is. The whole load/leverage thing is wrong. I removed about 6 inches between the shock mount and the swing arm pivot so the fulcrum is farther forward. I can bounce the rear end up and down easily with my butt
I see , I know the stock springs on my 2000 were 300LBS , way too soft , I'm now running 400 LB . and it's good but could probably use 450 lb. but don't want it to ride like a truck .
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Buck wrote:
I can bounce the rear end up and down easily with my butt
either get stronger springs or a smaller butt

"the unknown biker"
I can't keep my pants up as it is
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Carl La Fong wrote:It already looks like a dirt bike. I need to lower it a bit, but then I'd be in bigger trouble. I have a call in to Aldan Eagle to see what their suggestion is. The whole load/leverage thing is wrong. I removed about 6 inches between the shock mount and the swing arm pivot so the fulcrum is farther forward. I can bounce the rear end up and down easily with my butt
if you can bounce the back end up and down while just sitting then I bet the ride is great but too high
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

I spoke with Aldans tech guy today. He said to bring them in and they would fix me up. I think we'll go with a set of 300 pounders and see how it goes. They're real helpful, at least on the phone. I know everyone, here and the guys on some other site, has glowing reports on their dealings with Aldan.
The Ranger swap is the gift that keeps on giving ;)
randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

Carl, Glad you found your light problem... I sent my shocks to Aldan last winter(07 B.B) To have them install heavier springs. I think mine stock were 300# and was going for 350#,But they didn't have the 350's and didn't know when they were..They offered the 400# and I accepted..It definitely firmed up the ride..But that's Ok . They swapped springs and rebuilt shocks ,No charge ,,just shipping..Good folks for sure.Good luck
phpBB [video]
randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

Hey,,, Just drinkin' and thinkin',,But if you shortened your swing arm and changed the geometry of your suspension..Couldn't you move the top shock mount rearward..That should firm up the ride..And if the top frame rail trails upward, It shouldn't raise the height while firming up the ride?? Just thinkin'..
phpBB [video]
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

I would have to move the shock back to firm it up. Closer to the fulcrum=More leverage
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

If you seed your shocks back to Aldan ask them about installing the larger adjustment knobs . I had it done and it is a very nice feature . The adjustment knobs are 1" dia . I have my knobs facing the rear and I can actually reach back and adjust them while riding .
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Aldan called this morning and they are ready. I went with the black, powder coated springs. I know you'll like that, Jack.
The only downside is Aldan is charging me 190 bucks to rebuild the shocks and to add the new springs. It seems everyone gets the long deal from them, except me. I guess it isn't an outrageous charge, but for years all I've heard is Aldan did this or that and only charged me shipping or some nominal fee.
My next project is to loose all of the braided cables and brake lines. I prefer the old time look with the vinyl coated stuff.
randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

Carl, Hope your new Aldans do the trick..Randy
phpBB [video]
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

When I wanted to exchange my chrome springs for 400 LB black they told me as long as the old chrome springs were in perfect condition there would be no charge . They were so all went well with no charge . However they installed the 1" knobs at no charge while they were rebuilding my shocks .

I have never liked the braided cables because if they are not tied off properly they chafe anything they touch . Of course all my lines and cables are black now .
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

I don't like the braided stuff for the same reason. Also, I don't think everything should be shiny. It detracts from what you want see. I didn't chrome my clutch booster because it's ugly. Chroming it would only draw your eyes to it. When I replumbed my fuel system, I used black AN fittings and black, braided hose. You can see it if you're looking for it. It looks very nice, but it doesn't overwhelm.
BTW, all of the hoses that I made up are still nice and pliable, no leaks, no issues. The Gates FI hose that I had used previously was hard and the raw ends looked like hell. I also don't like worm clamps
Did I hijack my own thread??? Bad shocks and shorted wires to fuel lines???
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Back on track, here.
I installed the rebuilt shocks this morning. After a very short ride, to the end of my street and back, I can say it was worth it. The rear end feels much firmer. All of the old sponginess is gone. I can't wait to get it out and see how it does when up against all of the bumps and curves that plagued me before.
The guy at Aldan said they were leaking, the gas charge was gone, the bump stops were crushed and the bearings, at the mounts, were shot. They removed the old 180 pound springs and put in 350 pounders. I can bounce the rear end with my butt, but it feels real tight. It seem to move about half an inch, or so. I'm certain it will work just fine. I hope, as I get skinnier, I won't feel like I'm on a rigid. Hit the 35 pound mark today. I was there a few weeks ago, but I backslid a bit.
Buck
$ite $upporter

Post by Buck »

I can bounce the rear end with my butt, but it feels real tight
are you referring to the bike or your ass?? I wish you would leave references to your personal anatomy out of this thread, TMI. You may send a video, again, under plain cover.
"the unknown biker"
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

"I can bounce the rear end with my butt, but it feels real tight."

Man, I think I need a proof reader. Freud would have a field day with that statement. He'd probably tell me that I have an Oedipus complex and I like to smell my own farts or something.
Buck
$ite $upporter

Post by Buck »

Freud would have a field day with that statement
Freud hell, "the unknown biker" had a field day with that.

"the unknown biker"
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

I took a short hop down to the store today. The driveway into the parking lot was always a big problem. The left turn, combined with the bump at the entrance always bottomed me out. I hit it hard and fast this time. Normally, it would have bounced the fillings out of my teeth. This time there was no drama. The rear end is a bit firmer than I'd hoped for, but I think it will be fine. I can adjust the shock dampening and the preload if I want. In all, I'm pleased.
Now I need to fix the pipes where I dragged them. The whole lower turnout portion is missing on both pipes. I have an idea that I think will look cool and different
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

Glad you got the shocks worked out and can't wait to hear/see what your plans are for the pipes. :popcorn: