Jockey shift

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
GordonBH

Jockey shift

Post by GordonBH »

Hi all,

Just fitted my new jockey shift. I designed it myself, made a wood mock-up in 12mmm dowel and did all my measurements - including the linkage parts at the shift transfer bar.

I bought 12mm round SS bar, and polished it myself and sent all my drawings and the bar to my local engineering firm. They machined a thread in it, made a bushing and welded/bent it and I bought a threaded pool 8-ball for a handle. Just fitted it tonight and it looks great. It works too, I've kept the footlevers as a back up. The leverage isn't great as it works on the gear shaft transfer bar at around 60:40 leverage but I didn't want the shift to be between the cylinders but aft of the ignition switch and inside my knee cap.

I've yet to road-test it but it certainly shifts the footlever cleanly. Photos and report to follow.
Gordon from England
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Re: Jockey shift

Post by Iron Maiden »

:goodjob: can't wait to see pics and get a ride report!!

petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

Not only do they look good ( IMO ) but they make weird road elevations when stopped or about to move SO much easier now that both feet are solidly planted. Going into Reverse is much more stable too.
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

I guess I never quite understood the fascination or need for a hand shift. For a time, I had a real jockey shift and a suicide pedal on my BH. It was less than ideal, but it worked while I figured out my hand clutch. Making a U turn in an off camber situation on a half ton motorcycle, with an in or out clutch, was a hairball deal
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Serious?? no pictures yet??
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Hey Barry,

It's chucking it down here (British Summer Hah!) and I'll be working for the next 4 days so I'll have to wait for pics. But thanks for the interest, I'll get anything I've got as soon as I can mate.
Gordon from England
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Hi folks,

Finally got a decent day and time off from the greatest wife in the world.

Started up and warmed in the driveway, first real shift into drive and it sounded clean and slick. There is a little forward rearward play 2mm in total to allow for the fact that the gearshift shaft rises up about 5mm when you shift with the heel shift. At the end of the jockey I have a T-plate that engages with clamps on the shift shaft (pic) and works really cleanly.

It's great at traffic stops shifting with my feet firmly on the ground and as it needs a reasonable push/pull there is no chance of false gear changes. It's neatly tucked in too and my leg sits comfortably outside it.

I also shift down from 2 to 1 and 1 to neutral on the move but I have to get the upshift from 1 to 2 practiced. I find that at 60 with only my right hand on the bars, the push forward combined with trans shifting action I get a small wiggle. But no problem as I can still use the footshift if I want.

I've enjoyed designing it and gettting it off paper into metal and functioning, and now have a nicer time in heavy town traffic. Well worth the effort and $100 ( labor inlcuded at $90).
Attachments
I like the look - neat
I like the look - neat
lower end of jockey engages with transfer shaft
lower end of jockey engages with transfer shaft
Doesn't get in the way at all of my leg
Doesn't get in the way at all of my leg
Gordon from England