V8's in The Smokies 2018

list any events, gatherings, coffee house poser runs, etc in your area.
Sponsored by: (see "Advertise With Us" below)
Greg S

V8's in The Smokies 2018

Post by Greg S »

At the Paris rally, several inquiries were made about the fifth edition of V8's in the Smokies in 2018. It was requested that arrangements be made as soon as possible, so that people could more easily plan to attend. Here are the details:

* Wednesday afternoon May 9th thru Sunday morning May 13th
* Ramada Inn South / 4010 Parkway / Pigeon Forge, TN 37863
* Call 800-523-3919 and give the dates that you are interested in, and ask for the "V8 Bike Riders" discount rate.

At the moment, there is a block of 20 rooms reserved for this event. They will be held for us until March 1st. After that date, they will be dropped back into inventory. When you call, you will be asked to pay for the first night's stay ($49 + tax for Wed & Thurs night, and $72 + tax for Fri and Sat night). The balance is due upon arrival. If for some reason, you need to cancel, you may do so up to 48 hours prior to the planned arrival date. We asked for as many first floor rooms as possible. Most rooms have two queen sized beds.

There is lots of room to park your tow vehicle and trailer, as there is a convention center parking lot on the premises.

If you have any questions, feel free to call me at 330 dash 606 dash 3165.

Let's hope for lots of blue skies and sunshine!
Elvis

Re: V8's in The Smokies 2018

Post by Elvis »

Cool Greg, thanks
Ron Radulski

Post by Ron Radulski »

I see you changed the date from what you told us at the Rally. Thanks for the update Greg. FYI the departure date is Mother's Day. Reservations are made. No 1st floor rooms left after my reservation.
Greg S

Post by Greg S »

Rooms were hard to come by. That is why we had to change the date.

With the first floor rooms being taken, I will offer my first floor room to somebody if they need to have one. I don't mind being on the second floor.
Greg S

Post by Greg S »

Ron - If you have a map nearby, the road that I was talking about can be described as being here: Take a left out of the Ramada and go until you see a white and blue (?) old fashioned diner on the west side of the road that is near an intersection. At this traffic light, turn west. Continue past the Harley shop, Autozone, and Boss Hoggs (really good pork!). In about a mile, there will be what is rather clearly, the last traffic light for quite a while. At this light, turn north. The road will appear to be a normal two lane paved road for a few miles, but soon will turn into something that makes Mulholland Drive look like a straight line. Very nicely paved, and all the twisties that a person could ask for.
Greg S

Post by Greg S »

Took a look at the map myself, the road that is at the intersection that is next to the diner, is 321.

If, at the last traffic light when leaving Pigeon Forge, you continue straight, instead of turning north, you will end up in a small town called Townsend. There is a small music shop called Wood & Strings in Townsend. You can see several instruments that are not normally seen in the big cities. This shop is owned by an elderly gentleman who makes many of the Appalachian instruments that are for sale.

The ride on 321 is very scenic, and has many off-the-beaten-path types of places to visit that bring to light how many of the mountain people live in that area.
Greg S

Post by Greg S »

Ron - Found the Cherohala Highway that you were talking about. Turns out, that it is one of the roads that Marilyn and I wound up on one day, after riding on the Dragon Tail portion of 129. I was not familiar with the exact name or number of the road at the time, because, when on a motorcycle, I usually use dead reckoning, instead of a map. You are right. It was a beautiful ride.
Bqmouse

Post by Bqmouse »

My Wife and I will be attending. I have made our reservation also. Looking forward to this event.
Ron Radulski

Post by Ron Radulski »

Bqmouse wrote:My Wife and I will be attending. I have made our reservation also. Looking forward to this event.
Where will you and your wife be leaving from? I just read your February 2nd post. You'll be leaving from Dyersburg. See you there. Triker
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

Just made reservations for me, and my son, still rooms available at discount rate. See ya in May
Ron Radulski

Post by Ron Radulski »

Elvis, good deal. The more the merrier! See you there!
Ron Radulski

Post by Ron Radulski »

Cancelled our reservations. My Mother just got out of the hospital this past Thursday. Her COPD flared up again. Everything is OK right now. Taking her to the Dr. for follow up visit during the time we'd be in Pigeon Forge. We can now take her out for Mother's Day too! Everybody enjoy the twisties down South.
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

May have to cancel also, I think I have a blown head gasket on my Suburban. Overheated to 260 degrees before I could get off the road
Greg S

Post by Greg S »

Hi Elvis, Sorry to hear that. 250F is one of those magic numbers that you hope to never exceed. We definitely missed you down there (up there from your perspective). Hopefully, we'll see you next year!
Greg S

Post by Greg S »

Car on fire on way to PF.jpg
Someone else had a bad day too. This is what we saw on the way down to Pigeon Forge. We were one of the last vehicles to make it past the flames.
Greg S

Post by Greg S »

IMG_3355.JPG
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

Thanks Greg, we'll try again next year :)
Ron Radulski

Post by Ron Radulski »

Greg S wrote:
IMG_3355.JPG
Greg, You're ONLY doing 23 MPH! LOL!!!
Greg S

Post by Greg S »

Hi Ron, I was wondering if anyone would notice that. Thought about Photoshopping it to 223MPH.
Greg S

Post by Greg S »

That particular road, was called King Branch Road. It was one of the side roads to the main passageway through the mountains. There was a total of one other moving vehicle that we encountered on that road. Absolutely beautiful!

We also found another road, that took us, in a very indirect way, to the peak of one of the mountains. We were definitely in billygoat territory. The road was about as wide, as I could stretch my arms, and where the blacktop ended on the side of the road, is where the earth ended as well. Once at the top, it was so pointed, that the front wheel was on one side of the mountain, and the rear wheel was not quite to the top yet, on the other side of the mountain. Not really, but you get the idea. It was one of those roads that you could never forget!
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Sounds like the time I rode up mt. Washington here in NY state . Only 5000 feet but a little intimidating. Was 80 degrees at the bottom and about 32 degrees at the top .
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

Hey Greg, any 2019 dates? I had to pick vacation today, and couldn't post from work, so I picked the second weekend in May.