Damn unreliable Boss Hoss

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
Tom

Damn unreliable Boss Hoss

Post by Tom »

We made it home from Canada today and I have to say.. Now I know why people are afraid to go cross country on a boss. We got all the way to Canada and a tail light burned out.... Man I knew I would never make it home and was in a real bind. I limped it down to the Napa store and by chance they happened to have a bulb that would fit. 15 minutes later I was a happy camper and all was well.... Then... the next day My headlight quit working... Fortunately... I was at Bryans house and as an example of the hospitality we were shown... Bryan put 5 of his best guys on it and the bad ground was repaired on the spot.
I still can`t believe a 7 year old bike could cause that much grief on a mere 4000 mile trip. Maybe I should call the factory about some warranty assistance.
Signed....
Pissed off! :mrgreen:
AR

Re: Damn unreliable Boss Hoss

Post by AR »

Better sell it and get a sportster... :twisted:
Tom

Post by Tom »

I was on the trike.... Maybe I could trade??
okie

Post by okie »

Tom would not be happy with a Sportster,it is plug and play,not redesign the frame and systems like on the Hoss,then be over joyed you made a run with nothing major happening,due to your skill on correcting short commings.Tom is the man!
Tom

Post by Tom »

My trike is bone stock except rear disc brakes... The rest has 30,000 miles with only maintenance.
Boom Boom & Rockstar

Post by Boom Boom & Rockstar »

Tom, ours is a 2007..the throttle started sticking, roaring the engine and Rock had to pull the cable back to stop it.. wasn't fun as we would be driving at the time..if we went thru a rain puddle our brake lights would go out and if we put on our four ways sometimes they wouldn't work or flash but not like they were suppose to. got a new throttle cable and Detroit Bh put some silicone on the wiring..all is working now..hope this will be it..driving to the rally this year..Boom
Butterfly

Post by Butterfly »

Tom,
You poor thing..... :cry: to have so much lack of problems on such a very short trip!!!!! :D You should just go on and sell the damn thing..it's too reliable!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll: :D It's good to hear you had a great trip and the trike did so well. I am starting to trust the Beast and riding it more with Eagle and not worrying about getting home! :o I am not a good hitchhiker and the fire dept won't keep giving me rides home! :roll: It feels good not to have the same problem with the bike, we have had some minor things but after everything else...it's been a piece of cake and the Beast is holding up to her name. :D :shock: :D
Butterfly
hosszz4

Post by hosszz4 »

Butterfly wrote:Tom,
You poor thing..... :cry: to have so much lack of problems on such a very short trip!!!!! :D You should just go on and sell the damn thing..it's too reliable!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll: :D It's good to hear you had a great trip and the trike did so well. I am starting to trust the Beast and riding it more with Eagle and not worrying about getting home! :o I am not a good hitchhiker and the fire dept won't keep giving me rides home! :roll: It feels good not to have the same problem with the bike, we have had some minor things but after everything else...it's been a piece of cake and the Beast is holding up to her name. :D :shock: :D
Good To hear that Butterfly....My 5000 mile roundtrip to Canada was uneventful...had a rear brake light switch die in the rain and didnt need it...also my brakeaway cruise control played up and I fixed it myself.

All the help on these boards is what is keeping us running...

Cheers
Aldo
Voices in my head this week...Hendrix...Voodoo CHile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoAXW30m ... re=related
40 years later..I still get goose bumps listening to this!!

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly »

hosszz4 wrote:
Butterfly wrote:Tom,
Good To hear that Butterfly....My 5000 mile roundtrip to Canada was uneventful...had a rear brake light switch die in the rain and didnt need it...also my brakeaway cruise control played up and I fixed it myself.

All the help on these boards is what is keeping us running...

Cheers
Aldo
This kind of news is so good to hear! I am now becoming a believer that we too can ride without fear, but also know that the bike is like any other motor vehicle out there and can have a problem. All we can do is make sure everything is working right and have some tools and phone numbers on hand. :D Our biggest problem right now is we have to change the spark plugs at about a 1000 miles.....the Beast likes to fowl them out around the 1000 mile point.... :o Cheap fix! :D We keep spare oil, tranny fluid, spark plugs and such on hand and we are learning much about her.... :shock: She hates to just "putt" around, she prefers the open road! and so do I! Less cages to deal with! ;)
Butterfly
zenbiker

Post by zenbiker »

$45K miles on by 383 stroker and have taken seven eight cross country trips of 4K miles or more. I've had only minor issues, none of which came close to stopping my progress. Of course, I've done a billion upgrades over the years but my first few long trips were with the bike bone stock. I find it MUCH more reliable than my Harley ever was and never have any compunctions about going anywhere. I think the key is anticipative maintenance!..Joe
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

You got that right Joe , that's why I say that if any of us hear that someone is having problems with this or that and we don't address that same problematic issue on our own bikes it's our own fault if we start experecning the same problem . Usually that weak link will bite us all eventually . That's another reason all of us need to share information good or bad .

Jack
AR

Post by AR »

zenbiker wrote:and never have any compunctions about going anywhere.
yeah I use plugs if I get a rear tire compunction but would never use it on the front.