V8Chopper - Bullet Fast

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
acrophil

V8Chopper - Bullet Fast

Post by acrophil »

Well, I figured it was broken in enough, 300 miles. I went to bike nite at a local hole in the wall for show and tell. They all pissed on my leg and told me how good looking it was but i already knew that :o ! On the way home after I turned off and left Rick, I decided to find a straight stretch and see for myself about this DART motor. I hit it from a rolling start and lit it up so hard that it I about puddled the tires. I tried again with a little slower application of right wrist until it hooked then shifted to second where it lit them again and i just stayed in it until the white line became solid :twisted: . The torque and hp just have to be felt when you are all the way in, as they say yaHOO.

As I am an old drag race guy (" A " modified Corvette 9.65's) I think I am going to give it a go at the track as soon as I learn to trust this trike at speed(feels very good so far). This is a BAD ride and gives the appearance of meaning business. I think they got it right.

Having fun.

Phil
Tom

Re: V8Chopper - Bullet Fast

Post by Tom »

WOW!!! Thanks for the report... You guys keep it up and my bank account may be in trouble. :mrgreen: :twisted:
Els

Post by Els »

Phil,

I love doing "I told ya' so's" ha ha. The V8Chopper trike with that motor is in a class by itself. Outstanding ride and capable of low 10's in the 1/4 right out of Stan's shop...incredible!

Elliot
Image...Todd, North Carolina
Image Image Image
Tom

Post by Tom »

Els.... You`re not helping... :roll:
Els

Post by Els »

Tom, see how this helps....

You look pretty badass and a great match to a chopper bike 8-) . You know, the Henry Fonda/Dennis Hopper thing! The wife will think you are 10 years younger, the young babes will bare their breasts more often, and you won't have to answer the "how much does it weigh" and "what happens if it falls" questions anymore.

The chopper trikes are so much fun and so quick (with the DART), it is the ultimate expression to me of bike and hotrod rolled into one. Besides, Adrian would be so jealous of a smallblock that fast and that snotty....

I think the best testimony of what these choppers are all about will come out of Lacrosse this week. With Stan and David there and guys getting an up close and personal view or ride (or ass whupping), I think you'll hear some very enthusiastic commentaries.

Elliot
Image Image Image
V8 Perv
Super Perverator

Post by V8 Perv »

[quote="Els

I think the best testimony of what these choppers are all about will come out of Lacrosse this week. With Stan and David there and guys getting an up close and personal view or ride (or ass whupping), I think you'll hear some very enthusiastic commentaries.

I took Davids 500hp trike for about a 20 mile spin and all I can say
is it is nothing short of amazing! It is so much faster than my
Big block trike it isn't funny. The way it delivers the power still
has me stunned.

....Johnston, Iowa
Els

Post by Els »

Ron,

My trike experience was my wife's smallblock and then my '57 Chevy 502 with a big nitrous squirt. Also had some motor work. I thought it was a slug on motor only (damn, were spoiled!) and was constantly on the juice to get my thrills. When comparing that to when I rode David's trike, I could only say via the butt dyno that the V8Chopper felt much faster and it was also much easier to drive. Although the Boss tracked straight, it was cumbersome at both high and low steering speeds. The constant push/pull took away from a motorcycle feel and got tiring and old on interesting roads.

I've long been one who has had an issue with GM's hp claims on the 502. I ran my 502 trike numerous times on a DynaJet dyno and was constantly disappointed. I didn't believe there was huge loss through the T350 drive train but rather the result of over stated hp claims by GM performance. There was some chatter on some of the boards about it and the concensus was the motor was not making 502 hp or close to it.

The DART on the other hand is making this 500+ hp for real. I have faith in their numbers knowing their relationship with the NHRA and IHRA crowd. When considering weight, drivetrain and this motor in the V8Chopper, there's zero doubt it's a significantly faster ride.

The trike I rode of David's had a milder cam at the time and I believe had dyno numbers at 500 hp. He also did 10.4 second 1/4 mile at Bradenton on a slippery track with tires spinning. That trike (the white one) now has the nastier cam, makes another 20 or so hp and I suspect would be running very low 10's if it would stick. A Boss trike won't come close to that number.

For anyone not requiring lots of storage or a really big trike but rather wanting a smaller, faster, much easier to drive trike, I personally see it as a no contest choice. Glad you got to ride one and can back up my praise of the V8Chopper's virtues.

Els
Image Image Image
Redtro

Post by Redtro »

I have not ridden the V8 Chopper (Dart motor) trike but I have ridden my friend Russ's 502 trike and I was sadly dissappointed in it's performance. I don't know if his carb./timing is not set right or if the tranny, rear end combination is not right or if it jumps from 1st to 2nd too quickly. If it were mine, I'd be trying to make that big motor perform the way you would think it should on such a light weight vehicle.

My 502 bike did not run the way I expected either when I first got it. I found that my carb. needed some serious work and some adjustment to the timing but those things did the trick in spades. Now I MUST concentrate on throttle management at just about any speed to keep the rear tire stuck to the pavement. Juice would only rev the engine more and spin the tire faster than it already is and I don't see the point. Now if I wanted to go to a stickier/wider car tire, that would be a different story.

Now with all this being said...I have no doubt that the Dart trike would take the 502 trike with little effort. But I think a well adjusted 502 trike with the right combinations would make the race much more interesting.
Last edited by Redtro on Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clint44

Post by Clint44 »

The more I look at that thing,the better I like it. After reading about how it runs,I'm starting to look towards the future.
What kind of money would it take to have a trike like that built? We would want to tour on ours so could you add a hitch and pull a trailer?
Clint & Sherry
2006 Boss Hoss 57 trike (sold)
okie

Post by okie »

The last time I talked to Stan,he didn't see his bikes as cruisers,he thought the Hoss filled that nich pretty well.In our conversation he said he was aiming towards the person that would buy a custom chopper,don't know how many miles you have on rigid frame bikes but they are not for everyone,maybe if you plan on a lot of trailering or short rides might be ok,test ride one around for a while before you make up your mind.I rode them for about 15 years many moons ago,I'm more interested in how many states I can ride through now rather than how many bars I can make it to in one night or how many people I can wow,I actually get tired of all the questions and people taking my picture,just want to ride.
Els

Post by Els »

Redtro wrote:I have not ridden the V8 Chopper (Dart motor) trike but I have ridden my friend Russ's 502 trike and I was sadly dissappointed in it's performance. I don't know if his carb./timing is not set right or if the tranny, rear end combination is not right or if it jumps from 1st to 2nd too quickly. If it were mine, I'd be trying to make that big motor perform the way you would think it should on such a light weight vehicle.

My 502 bike did run the way I expected either when I first got it. I found that my carb. needed some serious work and some adjustment to the timing but those things did the trick in spades. Now I MUST concentrate on throttle management at just about any speed to keep the rear tire stuck to the pavement. Juice would only rev the engine more and spin the tire faster than it already is and I don't see the point. Now if I wanted to go to a stickier/wider car tire, that would be a different story.

Now with all this being said...I have no doubt that the Dart trike would take the 502 trike with little effort. But I think a well adjusted 502 trike with the right combinations would make the race much more interesting.

There is definitely some "adjusting" necessary to make the 502 BH trike more track friendly although it's probably set up with "street" friendly in mind. I've found it very difficult (translation: impossible) to be in both arenas performing optimum.

For one thing (and you mentioned it in your post) the shift points are not even close to right for the track. Anyone played with those yet? I have... yikes, a gabillion possible combinations and only trial and error figuring it out. The stock trikes shift way to quick for the track. I can tell you first hand this is a tedious and discouraging (although very simple) process to get the right the first 20 tries.

After everything's said and done, it's hard to argue with horsepower/weight factors if things like tranny, gear ratios, etc are all similar. As mentioned earlier, there is (IMHO) a SIGNIFICANT difference in real life hp between the 520 hp DART motor and a GM 502 (the version BH is using). It may be anywhere from 40 - 100 hp based on dyno results I've seen. Then factor in the weight difference and the story becomes very clear.

The 502 on the bike seems to be another story. Every bigblock bike I've rode is fast and a helluva lot of fun in spite of abysmal dyno numbers...relative to the 502 hp claim.

Ricky, ask someone besides myself like Ron, possibly Phil, or someone else who has seat time on both the 502 trike and on David's chopper trike and they'll tell you, it's not much of a race. The chopper is so much faster that it would need to drag a damn big anchor to be a close race.

Els
Image Image Image
Clint44

Post by Clint44 »

okie wrote:The last time I talked to Stan,he didn't see his bikes as cruisers,he thought the Hoss filled that niche pretty well.In our conversation he said he was aiming towards the person that would buy a custom chopper,don't know how many miles you have on rigid frame bikes but they are not for everyone,maybe if you plan on a lot of trailering or short rides might be ok,test ride one around for a while before you make up your mind.I rode them for about 15 years many moons ago,I'm more interested in how many states I can ride through now rather than how many bars I can make it to in one night or how many people I can wow,I actually get tired of all the questions and people taking my picture,just want to ride.
Guess I was misinformed then,Phil. I thought the trikes were equipped with a rear suspension.

I hear you about all the questions and photo requests. Some people are such PITA's.
Clint & Sherry
acrophil

Post by acrophil »

The Trike does have a rear suspension, coil over shock. The ride is very good and would be suitable for cross country travel even though it is geared a little low (rpm is high at cruise.) The Trike has a smoother and more stable ride than my 502 did with the extended front end. The trike handles and rides very comfortably but I can not compare it to the Boss trike as I have never ridden a Boss Trike. The DART motor is not particulary good on gas with this low gear, I am getting around 13 around town but it does carry almost 12 gallons and the range will be reasonable out on the road. Stan has mentioned changing the gearing to lower the cruise rpm. I will probably try a trip down to Panama City from Atlanta to check out the road manners.

Mostly it is a very BAD local bike but I'll let u know how it does on the road.

Phil
Els

Post by Els »

okie wrote:The last time I talked to Stan,he didn't see his bikes as cruisers,he thought the Hoss filled that nich pretty well.In our conversation he said he was aiming towards the person that would buy a custom chopper,don't know how many miles you have on rigid frame bikes but they are not for everyone,maybe if you plan on a lot of trailering or short rides might be ok,test ride one around for a while before you make up your mind.I rode them for about 15 years many moons ago,I'm more interested in how many states I can ride through now rather than how many bars I can make it to in one night or how many people I can wow,I actually get tired of all the questions and people taking my picture,just want to ride.

What does all this rigid frame and "how many states I can ride through" stuff have to do with the question from Clint that was about a trike that does indeed have a suspension?

Els
Image Image Image
Clint44

Post by Clint44 »

acrophil wrote:The Trike does have a rear suspension, coil over shock. The ride is very good and would be suitable for cross country travel even though it is geared a little low (rpm is high at cruise.) The Trike has a smoother and more stable ride than my 502 did with the extended front end. The trike handles and rides very comfortably but I can not compare it to the Boss trike as I have never ridden a Boss Trike. The DART motor is not particulary good on gas with this low gear, I am getting around 13 around town but it does carry almost 12 gallons and the range will be reasonable out on the road. Stan has mentioned changing the gearing to lower the cruise rpm. I will probably try a trip down to Panama City from Atlanta to check out the road manners.
Mostly it is a very BAD local bike but I'll let u know how it does on the road.
Phil
Glad to hear about its coilover suspension,Phil. What rpm is the engine turning at 70mph,now?
Clint & Sherry
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Well back from Lacrosse:

All I can say, is that I am very impressed with the V8-Chopper

I did not get into it all the way, " been three years".. :roll:, but that trike hits
like a hammer and tracks like an arrow. Dave allowed me to take it for a day
so I got to know it better than just a demo ride.

Watched Dave do a burn on Thur in Lacrosse, all I can say is WOW.................
and it is not sitting there making smoke.......it accelerated like a damn rocket.....

If you have a chance..........RIDE ONE........and wipe the shitty smile off your
face,,,,,,,if ya can..... :mrgreen:

You better leave the "checkbook" at home..

Geezer
Els

Post by Els »

V8 Chopper wrote:Geezer,

Glad you liked the trike. I might add, you looked good in the V8 Chopper T shirt...

You started a great event Bob. It is nice to have all V8 Bikes welcome. Steve has done a good job of keeping it up. We will be back next year for sure.

David

Geez, is Dave suggesting the Lacrosse thing is just V8 bikes and started by you? I kind of took for granted it was a Laughlin type of deal. What do I know?! If that's the case, it sounds really cool. I've always wished Daytona or Myrtle Beach could be culled of Harley's and Honda's and a couple hundred thousand people...'cept for the bikinis of course.

Els
Image Image Image
V8 Perv
Super Perverator

Post by V8 Perv »

[quote="Els"]

Geez, is Dave suggesting the Lacrosse thing is just V8 bikes and started by you? I kind of took for granted it was a Laughlin type of deal. What do I know?! If that's the case, it sounds really cool. I've always wished Daytona or Myrtle Beach could be culled of Harley's and Honda's and a couple hundred thousand people...'cept for the bikinis of course.

Hey Els, Only problem with your idea is we would have to cull out
poor Geezer and his Hardley. :evil:

....Johnston, Iowa
Els

Post by Els »

Ron, I left a loop hole for bikinis but Geezer wearing a bikini on his Hardley...nah!

Having a venue that size really sounds great. Everyone there having appreciation and understanding of V8's.

When thinking about it, maybe the crowds with other than V8's ain't a bad thing. After all, those are the folks that drool and stare and about pee on themselves when seeing and hearing the V8's. That unto itself is fun at these events.

Els
Image Image Image
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

El:

I started this rally in 2001, as "Boss Hoss On The River".

We had three dealers, Milwaukee, Siron and Marv attend. The first rally drew
about 40 bikes, and sixty to seventy people.

I decided to move the rally from Prairie du Chine to Lacrosse in 2003, as Lacrosse
is a larger community with more entertainment and good food. Once the move was
made in 2003, it became known as the "Lacrosse Rally"..

In late 2005, when I sold the "GeezerMobile" I called Steve Hanson and asked him
if he would like to take over the rally ? He agreeded.

Many BH owners asked some of their "Hardley" buddy's to attend, and that is mostly
where the other brands come from, but are few compaired to the BH attendance.

Now this year with Stan and Dave with the V8-Choppers, I think it might better be
described as a " V8-Rally"........

Over the years I have come to think of this as a "Family" rally, with interest in V8's.
being in second place. It is like seeing some of your best freinds, once a year.

And the party begins....... :mrgreen:

Hope to see ya there next year with Steve Barr and the rest of the East gang..........

Geez

PS- Jack Daniels is the official "Rally Drink"..............Yes, I will hurt for a week.. :cry:
Els

Post by Els »

Bob,

That's a really cool thing you started. When you mentioned the town of Prairie du Chine, it rattled my memory a bit.

I talked to David a few times while there and then after he left. He had great things to say about being there, the folks who came, and the good time.

Having never been to that part of the world and enjoying the company of anyone who has, has had, or embraces the virtues of V8 bikes, I'm going to do my best to come next year.

Elliot
Image Image Image
Clint44

Post by Clint44 »

Els wrote: Having never been to that part of the world and enjoying the company of anyone who has, has had, or embraces the virtues of V8 bikes, I'm going to do my best to come next year.
Elliot
I used to make the yearly trek to the EAA Fly-In at Oshkosh every year so I know the area kinda well. Sherry and I just hated it that we couldn't make it to LaCrosse last week.
It's a beautiful area to ride,Elliot. We need to shoot for 100+ V8 bikes and trikes in 2009.
Clint & Sherry
Els

Post by Els »

Clint,

I had a bunch of buds that would go to Oshkosh each year but I never did. The EAA show at Lakeland, Sun-N-Fun was exactly 1.9 nm (DME) from our house. I had my plane based there and flew in & out of Lakeland Municipal 4 times p/week. Actually had a few ultralights come crashing down on our 17 acres a time or two over the years during the show. :shock:

I'm trying put next years Lacrosse event on my calendar early and make it happen. Would be great seeing you there. I'll wish us both good luck making it happen. Best,

Els
Image Image Image
Clint44

Post by Clint44 »

I've been to Sun-N-Fun about a dozen times,Elliot. We always camped out in the Ultralight section of the field.
Here's a photo of the last aircraft I built,a Quad City Challenger II Clipwing Special. I flew it to Oshkosh in '96.
Clint & Sherry
Els

Post by Els »

Clint, did you happen to know Fred Strammer? He was a very active member of the Boss Hoss fraternity back in the earlier years. Serious EAA advocate and built and flew his last ultraliight from Indiana (I believe?) to Lakeland before dropping from the V8 scene about 5-6 years ago. He may have then taken it to Arizona. He came up with numerous inventions and fixes for the bikes back then that were 1st rate.

I always owned and flew production aircraft. I did come real close to having a LanceAir IV in the hangar with a TSIO 550A powerplant. That's as close as I got to "experimental." Luckily, I'm without these days. That's why I can enjoy these bikes and have enough money in my pocket to buy something occasionally. If I was still flying, I couldn't dine out at McDonalds. Ahhhh, the good ol' days!

Great looking bird you're standing next to. Can't imagine being able to build one. When looking at some of the performance stats on today's U.L. aircraft, it's incredible.

I almost didn't make it to the V8 bike world. I had actually tossed a coin between buying a Polaris type inflatable flying boat versus a Boss Hoss. You can see which side the coin landed on.

Elliot
Image Image Image