topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
rocketsteve

Stupid Questions.

Post by rocketsteve »

The most stupid question I've had so far is,

"Wow! Did you build this bike yourself?"

:lol:
To test a man's character, give him (Hoss) power.
Ravinsomniac

Re: Stupid Questions.

Post by Ravinsomniac »

back-1.jpg
Gards Show.jpg
I still have the Kit Car I built myself that took 10 years, off and on and over 3000 hours to put together.
Carl La Fong has had his bike completely apart, customized and reassembled. So you could say he built his bike. Back in the very beginning, Boss Hogg (Hoss) bikes were Kit Bikes.. (some assembly required)
Several of us here have lightly customized their bikes. My Kannon is very rare and I have to work on it myself, because it's half Ford and half (after market) Harley parts.

Years ago, there were several Kit Car Magazines and their slogan was, "Built not Bought"
Swiss V8

Post by Swiss V8 »

Still good looking for so many years!
Is this not the car from Hardcastel & McCormic?
Martin

BHRA President Europe
Ravinsomniac

Post by Ravinsomniac »

m6gt_5_450.jpg
Swiss V8 wrote:Still good looking for so many years!
Is this not the car from Hardcastel & McCormic?
This is a photo of Bruce McLaren's original 1969 M6GT. Bruce made a name in Can-Am throughout the 1960's. He wanted to build High Performance street cars with his name on it, but he tragically died in 1970 testing a racecar in England. There has been several Companies that made fiberglass copies of his car over the years. My car body was made by Manta Cars and was called a Montage. Cars used in the Hardcastle & McCormick series were one of five modified Montage's. Manta did not want their name associated with the show, once they found out they were going to jump the car like the show, Dukes of Hazzard did. So the writers came up with the name Coyote to put on the sides of the car. Bruce's M6GT is in a Private Collection and is almost considered priceless today.
Ravinsomniac

Post by Ravinsomniac »

PB.jpg
McLaren Automotive resurrected the name and began building cars in 2011. Here's my Kit Car parked next to a real 2018, 650S McLaren at a car show last year. The owner told me his car, new off the Showroom floor was a little under $700,000. The Factory color on his car was stunning. It was called 'Volcano Orange' and changed shades of Gold, Orange and Yellow depending where you looked at it.
Ravinsomniac

Post by Ravinsomniac »

DSC030061_zps09b3017f.jpg
Hunting Rabbits with the Headlights on
Paul H

Post by Paul H »

1991, first BH kit bike was built by me and Frank Elliott.
We engineered a lot of things the factory forgot. It was
fun and he built and we installed 3 different engines
in it. 350, 406 and 434 which was the best. I even found
a single speed automatic for it.
So yes, we built it, from a kit. Total cost, then 8 K.

Paul H
IowaV8

Post by IowaV8 »

I was asked a while back this summer if my bike still sounded like a Harley....Duh :dunno:
Swiss V8

Post by Swiss V8 »

Ravinsomniac wrote:
DSC030061_zps09b3017f.jpg
Hunting Rabbits with the Headlights on
I just was going to ask 'Where are your headlights?'
But that tells it all.

It might be a bit tricky to get in and out...
Martin

BHRA President Europe
Shriner

Post by Shriner »

"Bruce's M6GT is in a Private Collection and is almost considered priceless today."

Back in 1982 i was working for an exotic car dealer in Monterey California. We had the original car and we sold the car to a man named Jack Flaherty. It was said to be a record price at the time of $114.000.00. I saw the car sell many years later at Cole Bros. Auction in Monterey for somewhere around 6 million.
The story i got was that there was two of the cars and Bruce was able to get the State of California to let him Title and register one of the cars , so he could drive it on the street. The story at the time, was that he was killed in the sister car. I actually got to drive the car to the gas station and back. It was insanely loud and i loved it.
I have not verified the story about him being killed in the sister car, but the rest of the story is fact.
As most of us older guys have seen, these kind of cars have become priceless.

Gil
Ravinsomniac

Post by Ravinsomniac »

McLarenM8D.jpg
Wow, driving Bruce's car must have been a trip! There were plans to build 50 of them. His red car was the only one made before he died. Three more metal cars were assembled months afterward from parts from his crew. There is a blue one and an orange one. Not sure of the other.
Bruce passed driving an M8D open cockpit Can-Am car (like the above photo) on June 2nd, 1970 on the Goodwood Circuit in West Sussex. It had a 430ci Chevy engine in it. Back the 60's the "Can-Am Wars" high speed aerodynamics was still in its infancy, with spoilers, wings and downforce body styles. There were many sleek cars made back then by Ferrari, March, Lola, Chaparral and several others. It was also being experimented with in NASCAR with Richard Petty and his high winged Plymouth Superbird. Our bikes have tons of horsepower, but they are as aerodynamic as a Flying Brick..
Ravinsomniac

Post by Ravinsomniac »

20191127_073208.jpg
20191127_073121.jpg
20191127_073057.jpg
These are a few photos I took at a Novelty Store in Key West many years ago. The owner of the store said the bike didn't run, but he pushed it in front of his store every day to attract people. He said it was the 3rd Boss Hogg Kit Bike ever made, and said a friend built it in the early 90's. That was before Harley threw a tantrum and made them change the name to Boss Hoss, from Boss Hogg, because they said they owned the Hogg name and it is their Stock Exchange letters.

I don't know if the bike is still in Key West or not.
rocketsteve

Post by rocketsteve »

Yep, that's another annoyance - others calling my Hoss a Hogg!

I keep telling them it's NOT a Harley. :whack:
To test a man's character, give him (Hoss) power.
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

rocketsteve wrote:Yep, that's another annoyance - others calling my Hoss a Hogg!

I keep telling them it's NOT a Harley. :whack:
I like the name Boss Hog a hell of a lot better than Hoss . It's not a horse , it's a Hog like Monte wanted , a Boss Hog as compared to a Harley Hog . When I think of Hoss I think of Hoss Cartwright from Bonanza TV show .
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

I also don't like the name BOSS HOSS. A HOSS is a horse, and I am also reminded of the Bonanza TV show when I hear it. I don't even like the name BOSS as it aint the Boss of anything. It will never be changed and it is the name people think of when they think of a V8 bike but I wish it would have been a different one. When I had my bike repainted I just left the V8 on it without Boss Hoss. I like my Boss Hoss but the name annoys me.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Stupid question, "Waddya do if it falls over? Me, "I leave it there and go buy another one."
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
Paul H

Post by Paul H »

Stupid question, "What do you do when you
come to a hill"??? Me, "Smoke the tire right over it".

Paul H
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Post by V8Bikers »

"Why do you need so much power"?
Me: Why not??

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

When did Cevy start selling motorcycles ?
Ravinsomniac

Post by Ravinsomniac »

hemibike2.jpg
hemibike1.jpg
It would be a stretch to call this one-off creation a Boss Hoss. It's 850 pound Dodge/Plymouth '426 Hemi' was also called the "Elephant" engine by Drag Racers in the 60's and 70's because of its size. Nitrous on this bike you could say is a little 'over kill', but then again, normal humans also say the same thing when they look at our V8 Bikes. ;)