2001 SBC Trike Minor Odds and Ends

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
The Mindless Philosopher

2001 SBC Trike Minor Odds and Ends

Post by The Mindless Philosopher »

Nothing significant, just coming up with something to post is all...

New radiator leak. No $$$ to replace the radiator. Was repaired a little over a year ago because of damage from road debris. Time for it to start falling apart, I suppose (17 years old). Poured some ground black pepper in the coolant to hold me for now (don't shoot me!) That seems to be working.

Two gnarly long cracks have appeared in the clear coat and paint right on top of the fiberglass body at raised points in the mold. Age and the Arizona elements getting it, I suppose? No biggie. Just sad to see. Such is life.

In week #8 of daily commuting with no show-stopping breakdowns (knock on wood).

No right front caliper dragging issues lately. A good cleaning and some adjustment seems to have remedied that.

Oil still finds ways to seep from the block. All bolt torques/tolerances check out. Nothing I can do but keep an eye on things. The joys of an old Hi-Po Iron and Aluminum Chevy. Not complaining, just stating what is.

Still FUN, FUN, FUN! Pefect riding weather in the desert southwest (mid 50's by night, mid 70's by day).
knockdolian

Re: 2001 SBC Trike Minor Odds and Ends

Post by knockdolian »

Good news about the trike. Enjoy the sun while the rest of the world freezes their asses of. Brrrrr
Ron Radulski

Post by Ron Radulski »

The Mindless Philosopher wrote:Nothing significant, just coming up with something to post is all...

New radiator leak. No $$$ to replace the radiator. Was repaired a little over a year ago because of damage from road debris. Time for it to start falling apart, I suppose (17 years old). Poured some ground black pepper in the coolant to hold me for now (don't shoot me!) That seems to be working.

Two gnarly long cracks have appeared in the clear coat and paint right on top of the fiberglass body at raised points in the mold. Age and the Arizona elements getting it, I suppose? No biggie. Just sad to see. Such is life.

In week #8 of daily commuting with no show-stopping breakdowns (knock on wood).

No right front caliper dragging issues lately. A good cleaning and some adjustment seems to have remedied that.

Oil still finds ways to seep from the block. All bolt torques/tolerances check out. Nothing I can do but keep an eye on things. The joys of an old Hi-Po Iron and Aluminum Chevy. Not complaining, just stating what is.

Still FUN, FUN, FUN! Pefect riding weather in the desert southwest (mid 50's by night, mid 70's by day).
Just a suggestion, instead of ground black pepper, AC Delco sells Cooling System Seal Tabs. Part numbers are:10-108 (12378255). The package comes with five (5) 4 gram tablets. Use it with coolant (anti-freeze). Most all parts counters at GM dealerships should sell it. Good luck!
The Mindless Philosopher

Ron Radulski wrote:
Just a suggestion, instead of ground black pepper, AC Delco sells Cooling System Seal Tabs. Part numbers are:10-108 (12378255). The package comes with five (5) 4 gram tablets. Use it with coolant (anti-freeze). Most all parts counters at GM dealerships should sell it. Good luck![/quote]

Thank you for the recommendation!
The Mindless Philosopher

knockdolian wrote:Good news about the trike. Enjoy the sun while the rest of the world freezes their asses of. Brrrrr
SHO' 'NUFF! Kneez in the breeze!
The Mindless Philosopher

I got a rare treat today: the opportunity to ride to work in the rain...well...light drizzle. We almost never get downpours out here. The cloud cover and humidity raised the temperature at least ten degrees, so the ride was warmer overall except for on my face and shins. No worries. The denim was plenty, and I opted for a cloth tube-type face cover (baclava?) with my half helmet instead of a full helmet. I keep the full helmet stowed onboard just in case. Pleasant ride! I wish I could be out there in it all day (away from traffic, of course).
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

The Mindless Philosopher wrote:I got a rare treat today: the opportunity to ride to work in the rain...well...light drizzle. We almost never get downpours out here. The cloud cover and humidity raised the temperature at least ten degrees, so the ride was warmer overall except for on my face and shins. No worries. The denim was plenty, and I opted for a cloth tube-type face cover (baclava?) with my half helmet instead of a full helmet. I keep the full helmet stowed onboard just in case. Pleasant ride! I wish I could be out there in it all day (away from traffic, of course).
The things we take for granted. We wait months just for the opportunity to ride in some sunshine!
The Mindless Philosopher

Today's ride was a brisk 39F (4C rounded up). I got a brain freeze with the half helmet on the freeway. I could have pulled over and grabbed the full helmet out of the bin but it wasn't quite that unbearable. The rest of my face was pretty well covered, so all was well.

No kooks out there which is surprising considering the full moon last night and this morning. Everybody was driving a little more sane than usual. Go figure?

Hoss is still holding together with bandaids and chewing gum. There's plenty of nit-picky work to do as usual, but it's been road worthy for at least 3 months. The longer this thing holds out, the better my odds of scratching up the beans to patch her up right! Until then, I'll keep enjoying my desert southwest version of polar bear rides. So far, so good.