1998 Boss SBC w/ tired transmission

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
Jack

1998 Boss SBC w/ tired transmission

Post by Jack »

Hey Guys,

The bike that brought me to this community so many years ago is back on the market. 1998 Boss Hoss SBC, 18k miles. 3 owners, the first of which was my father.

Asking price is $9k, I sold it for less than that over 10 years ago. Neither of the last 2 owners put any miles on the bike really. Added some stuff to it (rear tire, windshield, pegs, plug wires, sissy bar) but other than that, it's the same bike. Before we sold it the transmission seemed to be getting looser. For that buyer, that was fine, he didn't want it for burnouts, just cruising. If I'm buying it back, it has to do burnouts at a whack of the throttle... so I talked to BHC and I know what I'm in for there.

Based on the market, what is a 1998 with 18000 miles on it worth? In Good condition. I don't think a normal person would know the tranny was suspect... unless they were familiar with the bikes.

Thanks in advance.
Jack
Last edited by Jack on Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1998 Wild One Custom - Homebuilt
Foose1986

Re: 2008 Boss SBC w/ tired transmission

Post by Foose1986 »

The most correct answer is it's worth whatever some is willing to pay.

Also is it a 1998 or 2008? The title and body say two different things. For that price I'm assuming 1998.

I just paid $8500 for a 1997 SBC with 22k miles that was converted from a manual trans to a single speed auto. Trans is weak and the bike has a lot of bugs to work out (electrical, carb, etc.). In hindsight a year and a half later, I don't feel like I overpaid. If I get it fixed up and rebuild/replace the trans, I think it's realistically a 10-12k bike, again depends on the buyer.
Jack

Re: 2008 Boss SBC w/ tired transmission

Post by Jack »

Thanks, yeah sorry - no idea why I put 2008 in the title. Thanks for the insight. I’m still kicking it around.
1998 Wild One Custom - Homebuilt