Latest Repairs and Minor Upgrades

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
The Mindless Philosopher

Latest Repairs and Minor Upgrades

Post by The Mindless Philosopher »

My 2001 Boss Hoss ZZ4 trike (I am owner #8) sat for a little over a year after the last few problems. They were not complex issues. I was just too frustrated to deal with them given the steady stream of problems I've had since I bought the trike in December 2014. The last round occurred at the hottest possible time of the year (117F+). So, I let it rot in the garage for a while. <== Figure of speech. I still tended the Hoss to keep it from actually rotting.

Now that it's road worthy again, here is a list of repairs and (extremely minor) upgrades I've made in the past 2 months toward getting it ready again:

- Replaced the body tilt hinges (the originals broke in half from age/metal fatigue and less than optimal design); The new ones are heavier duty and hand-made from stainless steel
- Installed gas prop struts for the fiberglass tilt body (no more prop stick in the way and a cord to limit tilt body travel when lifted!)
- Installed a stopper for the fuel tank to keep it from dropping too low on the frame (I had rigged up a quick release tilt system back in 2015); No more smashing the valve cover breather when I'm not careful lowering the tank
- Installed metal wire lanyards for the main tank's quick-release ball pins, to keep them attached to the frame when I pull them out
- Installed new LED rear turn signals; The last ones literally rotted from the inside out
- Replaced the windshield/windscreen with a taller version of the original
- Replaced the tachometer light
- Removed a broken alternator bracket bolt from the engine block
- Repaired the broken alternator bracket using a piece cut from a donor bracket (some cutting, drilling, and welding involved)
- Replaced the alternator belt
- Replaced the alternator (bent pulley, wouldn't charge properly, and it fried the wire)
- Repaired the fried alternator wire
- Installed a 180F thermostat (didn't have a thermostat)
- Adjusted torque on the front axle and pinch bolt
- Installed plastic wire conduit in as many areas as was feasible
- Removed the fuel filter from the carburetor (inline filter is installed).
- Lubricated the throttle cable (Teflon dry lube)
- Lubricated the speedometer cable (liquid graphite lube)
- Replaced the defective Chinese LED license plate frame with third brake light (I had replaced the original frame a year ago)
- Replaced a broken radiator fan Zip-Tie style fastener
- Began modifying the front end of the seat pan (work in progress)
- Installed ceramic Dyna balance beads in the front tire
- Inflated the front tire to maximum cold pressure to avoid tread cupping

I think that's it. I might have left out a detail or two.

No photo's to offer. My camera is old. It finally kicked the bucket.