NEW BOSS HOSS MECHANIC OPENS FOR BUSINESS

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
NASA1

NEW BOSS HOSS MECHANIC OPENS FOR BUSINESS

Post by NASA1 »

As most of you know, we have NO Boss Hoss mechanics or dealers in the Pacific Northwest. Living in Seattle the closest mechanic is Curtis in Dallas Texas. Ron of Wild Rose fame, retired a number of years ago and is taking no new business. He, like me, prefers airplanes.

The ONLY person I was able to find who would take on the Boss Hoss puzzle was my HD mechanic of 20 years. He offered his services for just this one bike, and he has been very busy replacing and/or upgrading just about everything on it. He was recently diagnosed with MS, so he'll be closing his shop, moving to Tennessee and I'm left out in the cold....UNTIL NOW!

The stock 350 engine, with only 40K miles decided to lose a ring, blow the front seal (while I was riding by the way), head gasket leaking, and 60psi compression in two cylinders; so I decided to replace the engine.

Plan A: Ship the bike to Curtis in Dallas ($2,000RT),or Tim, aka the transmission expert in Minnesota, who really would not like the project, or make the bike a $30,000 boat anchor. The factory will have nothing to do with repairs by the way. Great support. NOT.

As luck would have it, I found a PROFESSIONAL mechanic who was NOT intimidated by the bike, and has the expertise to work on it. His company builds off road high performance Jeeps and engines. Scott the CEO of NW Performance and Off Road said, "This is just a V8 with two wheels and some Harley components. What's the issue?" Well said!

NW Performance and Off Road of Everett, WA., has now completely rebuilt the motorcycle from front to rear....the ONLY items left on the bike from 2004 is the VIN#, paint and frame; which by the way was inspected and found to be rust and crack free.

In any event, for those of you living within a 1000 miles or so of Seattle, and you have a Boss Hoss or any high performance vehicle that you want fixed or upgraded, you really need to give my new friends at NW Performance and Off Road a call.

https://www.nwperformanceandoffroad.com/
Attachments
Boss Hoss.JPG
Last edited by NASA1 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orlando606VetteTrike

Re: NEW BOSS HOSS MECHANIC OPENS FOR BUSINESS

Post by Orlando606VetteTrike »

That's great news. Thanks for sharing. :-)
2008 606 Corvette Trike
Ron Radulski

Post by Ron Radulski »

NASA1 wrote:As most of you know, we have NO Boss Hoss mechanics or dealers in the Pacific Northwest. Living in Seattle the closest mechanic is Curtis in Dallas Texas. Ron of Wild Rose fame, retired a number of years ago and is taking no new business. He, like me, prefers airplanes.

The ONLY person I was able to find who would take on the Boss Hoss puzzle was my HD mechanic of 20 years. He offered his services for just this one bike, and he has been very busy replacing and/or upgrading just about everything on it. He was recently diagnosed with MS, so he'll be closing his shop, moving to Tennessee and I'm left out in the cold....UNTIL NOW!

The stock 350 engine, with only 40K miles decided to lose a ring, blow the front seal (while I was riding by the way), head gasket leaking, and 60psi compression in two cylinders; so I decided to replace the engine.

Plan A: Ship the bike to Curtis in Dallas ($2,000RT),or Tim, aka the transmission expert in Minnesota, who really would not like the project, or make the bike a $30,000 boat anchor. The factory will have nothing to do with repairs by the way. Great support. NOT.

As luck would have it, I found a PROFESSIONAL mechanic who was NOT intimidated by the bike, and has the expertise to work on it. His company builds off road high performance cars and engines. Scott the CEO of NW Performance and Off Road said, "This is just a V8 with two wheels and some Harley components. What's the issue?" Well said!

NW Performance and Off Road of Everett, WA., has now removed the stock 350 engine and is replacing it with the Boss Hoss 383/430hp engine, installing a new wiring harness, radiator, carb, manifold, brakes, and is shipping the transmission to Tim who is upgrading it with every bell and whistle in his inventory. By the time all is done, my 2004 will be just like a brand new bike. A complete build from the frame up. Should of just bought a new Boss Hoss now that I think about it.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

In any event, for those of you living within a 1000 miles or so of Seattle, and you have a Boss Hoss or any high performance vehicle that you want fixed or upgraded, you really need to give my new friends at NW Performance and Off Road a call. Finding someone willing to work on my Boss Hoss so I can continue with my addiction has been nothing short of a miracle. Scott, the CEO is a fanatic for detail; which is exactly what I want from someone working on my motorcycle or airplane.

NASA1, I'm surprised you didn't hook-up w/ Barry Radu from Destination Cycles out in Canada. That couldn't be really that far from Seattle. Just my 2 cents.
V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

Ron Radulski wrote:NASA1, I'm surprised you didn't hook-up w/ Barry Radu from Destination Cycles out in Canada. That couldn't be really that far from Seattle. Just my 2 cents.
25 miles OR 700 miles ... I guess not too far is subjective. I always do my own work. For somebody that doesn't want to or can't for whatever reason then finding a qualified person that will is a GREAT FIND. Good post NASA, be sure to update the thread on final thoughts when your bike is all back together.
IF YOU TELL THE TRUTH YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMEMBER ANYTHING

NASA1

Post by NASA1 »

Thanks.

Yes, it's about 700 miles to the "dealer" in Canada. Shipping to another country, yes Canada is another country, is a PITA! If I tow the bike, I have Canadian customs to fight with. Not worth it....EVER.

Doing MAJOR work like removing the engine, transmission, and putting in a new wiring harness is far above my pay grade; nor do I have the equipment, facility or expertise...and I shouldn't have too. The factory should have service centers to support their product. Business 101.

Boss Hoss needs to pull their head out long enough to see there are not too many business that are willing to hand them $100K for the privilege of selling a motorcycle with zero market share and marketing support. Start FIRST with service centers and build from there...but what do I know?

In any event, I'll have a nice new bike and a mechanic that can at the very least replace the brakes when needed.
Ron Radulski

Post by Ron Radulski »

NASA1, First of all, I didn't realize that it was that far from you. Secondly, I couldn't agree with you more with your 2nd posting about BH acquiring service centers. Good luck, I too would like to know your final thoughts about your whole experience with the transformation, like V-man. Thanks for the information.
NASA1

Post by NASA1 »

Thanks for the reply. The parts for the build are finally arriving. I'll have way too much money into this bike, but what the heck; it's less expensive and complicated then a girlfriend or worse, a wife. The Boss is still the MOST fun you can have with your clothes on.

When I was at the Daytona Bike Week a number of years back, they let me ride a new Boss Hoss. I should have listened to the sales representative: "DO NOT RIDE THIS BIKE," he said. I asked, why? He said, "Because you'll buy one" After the ride, there was no question I'd have one in my living room.

Boss Hoss simply refuses to change their business plan...not that they have one. I spoke with the previous owners and they were delusional...if we had enough money and dealers, we could sell bikes. Not true.

They've been down this fantasy road before and it did not work long term. The company is bleeding and unless they try a number of marketing solutions, starting with something as simple as their website, Boss Hoss will no longer exist. They are confusing their high activity levels with money making results.

I'll post some pictures of the final product. Should be a few more weeks.
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

NASA1 wrote:Thanks.

Yes, it's about 700 miles to the "dealer" in Canada. Shipping to another country, yes Canada is another country, is a PITA! If I tow the bike, I have Canadian customs to fight with. Not worth it....EVER.

Doing MAJOR work like removing the engine, transmission, and putting in a new wiring harness is far above my pay grade; nor do I have the equipment, facility or expertise...and I shouldn't have too. The factory should have service centers to support their product. Business 101.

Boss Hoss needs to pull their head out long enough to see there are not too many business that are willing to hand them $100K for the privilege of selling a motorcycle with zero market share and marketing support. Start FIRST with service centers and build from there...but what do I know?

In any event, I'll have a nice new bike and a mechanic that can at the very least replace the brakes when needed.

I disagree it would be a PITA to come across with your bike for Service.

I have crossed into the USA many times for different reasons with the Hoss and the US Customs guys are harder on us then the Canadian Customs are on you...but be honest and they are a non issue...it would not be that difficult.

You have a really great guy doing the work...good luck.
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
NASA1

Post by NASA1 »

Thanks for getting back with me. Yes, it probably would not be a big issue. I used to ski at Whistler all winter and some of my best friends live up there. Since 9/11 and the Winter Olympics, the dollar has fallen and BC prices and security have doubled.So Plan B.

On another note, the 350 that was in the Boss Hoss is now for sale if anyone is interested. It has a NEW rebuilt Quadrajet 750, Aluminum heads and all the other bells and whistles that Boss Hoss installed. NOTE: The engine will need a ring job.

JULY 4TH CLEARANCE SALE: $1000

If you're interested in the engine and learning more about it, contact the mechanic: Scott Wohl at NW Performance and Off Road: 425-355-5969 or 425-528-8707.

gangstaboy1

Post by gangstaboy1 »

Be very careful about how you talk about the BH factory and its owners on this site. 57 chevy girl "bad mouthed" the last owners and took a lot of bs because of what she said. Turns out everything she said was true and Monte ended up taking the factory back. I agree the last owners were delusional and had no idea how to run a business. As far as the new owners...well their web site has the dates for the rally in September but all the info is still from last year at Paris Landing. Several attempt to email them gets absolutely no reply. Sort of makes you wonder. Bottom line is if you own a BH you better be a good mechanic. All the talk of bringing in new dealers and new service center and all I hear is crickets chirping. It will definitely be interesting. I understand Mark is no longer with BH either. Very interesting.
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

So you come here and badmouth Ricky and his brother. To what end?? Just to piss him off?? What's done is done. BH will never recover to the way it was. The V8 bike thing is waning. It was always a niche market and it will remain so, at an even smaller level. There will never be a nation wide dealership/service center network. You have several choices. Work on it yourself. Find someone who will. Ship it halfway across the country. Park it and pout.
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
NASA1

Post by NASA1 »

This is NOT about "badmouthing" anyone...it's about business decisions. Sometimes the truth hurts. It's not personal. History is a GREAT teacher and we should learn from it.

Apparently the owners of BH have not been paying attention, or they just don't have the investment capital, personnel, or knowledge to stop the bleeding. You're right. BH will never be what it was...question is, will it continue to be? Consensus is, it won't.

I have accepted the fact that I have limitations and cannot work on this toy; I do expect to pay for the privilege to play with it. BH is trying very hard to keep the company afloat, but it needs to be rebranded and re-positioned in the market. Doing the same (marketing, sales promotions,advertising) activity over and over again is the definition of insanity.
Ron Radulski

Post by Ron Radulski »

I've met the owners of BH at last years BH Rally in Paris,TN., then again this past March in Daytona. I'm not even going to begin to say what we talked about. But I will say this, Devon and Bill Banks are on the right track. Bill Van Sant who lives in Dyersburg, posted last week that while he was visiting the BH Factory the assembly area was full of product near completion, or just started assembly. Time will tell.
NASA1

Post by NASA1 »

You're right!! They are busy; however I'm a pessimist so I'm always pleasingly surprised.

I have no doubt they have experience in managing and developing a business. Boss Hoss has been bleeding for sometime so I hope they can stop it.

Talk is cheap, and only measurable results, not a high activity level equate to making a profit...and that's all that matters.
gangstaboy1

Post by gangstaboy1 »

I'm not a pessimist but I am a realist. There is an AP article that has been picked up but most major papers titled, "From boat makers to farmers, US led tariff war inflicts pain" In that article there is a quote from Andy Mueller who is Boss Hoss Germany and he states, " The tariffs affect done deals. We bought a couple of motorcycles recently. They were already ordered by customers, and they're on their way now. Now we need to explain that they have to pay a special price that includes the added cost of the tariff."

"We can sell what we have but we can't order new units, Boss Hoss is done for sure in Europe."

I love my BH and only hope they can stay afloat but I also know if you don't have dealers to move product you won't survive. It was my understanding that all European sales went through the German dealer. Beannie was a top selling dealer here in the U.S. and he is gone too. I hope the best for them but you can't depend on selling bikes at bike events to keep your business going
502wingman

Post by 502wingman »

The new owners seem to have deep pockets. If they are willing to burn tons of money the company may survive for a while.
They are very enthusiastic to improve everything when you hear them talking.

BUT: after more than half a year of ownership there is ??? right: NOTHING!!!

A new website: wow!!

Just look at the dealerlist. They just copied the old one. CopperCity, Stanford and Sweden is still listed. And then SwitzerMotors from "Orono" Ontario. It did not say Toronto on Montes website for ever. Bob Switzer is in his 70ies and has not sold a bike in years.

How dumb must one be to copy that list to start a new business................
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
gangstaboy1

Post by gangstaboy1 »

Their website might be new but like the dealer list their info for the rally is from last year. It has this years dates but if u try to find out about lodging it list the info from 2017 at Paris Landing lodge. I have emailed them several times asking for updated info and they don’t even respond. So I don’t care if they don’t email me back but at least update the info on the site. I’m guessing no body ever reads the emails. Maybe they don’t even know there is an email on their site. I hear crickets chirping
Ron Radulski

Post by Ron Radulski »

Call Boss Hoss Factory and ask for Kim. She has all the lodging, etc.. info about this years Rally. Hopefully we'll see you there!
BossHossMan

Post by BossHossMan »

The issues you guys bring up about the web site and dealer information not being completely correct and up to date are certainly legit issues that need to be resolved but on the positive side I want to let you know that not too long ago I contacted the factory about a couple of issues I was having with my Trike. Bill and TJ were very accommodating and went out of their way to help me and quickly resolved my problems. Thank you Bill and TJ!
NASA1

Post by NASA1 »

I have nothing but praise for Justin Humphrey at the Boss Hoss factory. From my contact with him, he is probably the ONLY one working in the parts department, and moonlights as a service technician, public relations contact, consultant to the vendors, window washer, and all around do everything except actually build the bikes employee.

Whenever I've needed anything, and that's just about everyday, Justin answers my emails, takes my phone calls, listens to me bitch about the company and then provides amazing service. He is overwhelmed by the duties they throw at him, yet manages to do his job and the job of at least 5 employees. He goes away, the company folds. Bill is very accommodating....but that does not pay the light bills. Just gives you a warm fuzzy.

They need to grow the business outside of their current customer base; problem is, I doubt they know who their customer is or the demographics. I've suggested a number of options to try as a test market but I'm sure it falls on deaf ears. In order to think outside the box, you need a box, and I don't think they have yet found the box.

With that babble, I assure you that the tariffs play little role in the future profit of Boss Hoss. They can always have the bike assembled Europe for the European market, and/or they could find a European partner (buyer) to help IF there was a profitable market for the bikes. .Europe is not as lucrative as forecast.
502wingman

Post by 502wingman »

Europe is not as lucrative as forecast.

Completly wrong in my eyes. Boss Hoss only survived till 2016 because probably 90% of their 2wheel bikes went to Europe for many years.

But now after years of broken promises (Doug!!!) or no interest (Monte!!!) and no improvments to comply with new european standards the market is almost dead.

Europeans are still desperate to buy BH, so almost every used bike on the market is shipped over here because they still comply with the old standards.

The new ones still dont comply with Euro4-standard and Euro5 will come in effect by 2020.

The market is huge, but there is no product !!!
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
NASA1

Post by NASA1 »

Potential markets do not pay the bills....only profit.

As I said earlier, the European market is not a viable option to grow the company for the reasons you stated...so why beat a dead horse? Get over it and move on to a market that will generate profit.

There is NO market for new motorcycles in Europe because the company cannot provide them, so rather then spend time and money trying to comply with the EU, develop the US market. There are plenty of buyers in our own backyard to more then support the company.

If Boss Hoss wants to enter the European market, they need to SELL or LICENSE the international rights and/or find a partner who has the money to manufacture the bikes to be EU compliant and then build or assemble them in Europe.

If the European market were such a hot bed of sales opportunity, foreign investors would be beating a path to Boss Hoss for licensing and/or manufacturing rights.

I used to negotiate contracts with the Chinese to import medical products. They are always looking for an investment opportunity and a way to enter new markets. This then gives them the audience for market expansion....which is what they are really looking for; a means to import their products. Want investment capital to develop or expand a market? Call the Chinese.
502wingman

Post by 502wingman »

"There is NO market for new motorcycles in Europe because the company cannot provide them"

I totally agree here with you NASA1. Just a matter of how you look at it.

Boss Hoss has been a dead horse since 2016 the latest. It will take a ton of money to revive that company. Seems the new owners are willing to go that route, just wondering how long.....

And yes, I have met people in Germany talking about a licenced BH assembly in Europe, but I am afraid it is not going to happen.
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
NASA1

Post by NASA1 »

Yes, Boss Hoss is bleeding out, and unless it receives some financial/marketing first aid it will end up in a body bag.

Due to the economy and the VERY narrow market (defined by BH) for the motorcycle, the EU at this point is just a pipe dream. Any savvy investor is not going to touch BH with a ten foot pole...the brand has no market share and a projected growth rate of about what a bank would pay on a savings account....close to zero.

The new owners might be a bit too close to the problem. They seem unwilling or unable to view the BH market in a different light. It will take some very creative marketing and financial incentives to convince someone to part with $60,000 or more for new toy.

I'll have nearly $50K in my 2004 when it's finished and I still have issues finding a mechanic.
Attachments
Brenda on Boss Hoss.jpg
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

It looks to me like it might be a nice future for the V8 CHOPPER company.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada