New Winters Transmission

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
Gila123

New Winters Transmission

Post by Gila123 »

Hi All ,,, seeing that the new winters transmission has been available for a while now and they are selling as fast as they are being produced, I was wondering if there are some on here that have one and could share their experience ,,, I'm still in the market for a tranny on my 502 and will be doing something about it within the next couple weeks ,, would appreciate any info. Thanks.

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Re: New Winters Transmission

Post by CanuckHoss »

If it was me in the same situation Mike I would go for the Winters from what I have heard.
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
Grand Canard

Post by Grand Canard »

I've got one in Berzerker, performs well; I haven't used it much, not too many miles on it yet but I'm overly confident that it is sound.

"Work when you have to,
Quit when you can.
Follow your dream
Be your own man.
Drink when you're thirsty
Whoop when you're high.
Love a good woman...
Ride till you die."
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

If my tranny went on me right now, I would consider the Winters if it came with a warranty.

Without a warranty, I would have a difficult time upgrading to the Winters - at this point.

I am not aware of anyone here with a production Winters trans in their bike. Norm's bike is the only one I know of, but it is pre-production.

Good Luck with your decision!

WB
"A true hotrodder wouldn't be content until he had created a vehicle so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo
Paul H

Post by Paul H »

Wild Bill, Norm's red BB bike has a Vanquish transmission
in it. It was done by Mountain BH and deemed MUCH
to costly to do for customers. Norm is VERY happy with it.
The Vanquish trans is a racing Power Glide. The costly
part is the 90 degree box on the back of it. That was BIG cost to engineer and build.

Paul H
misfit

Post by misfit »

Does anyone know how much one would cost or if they are even selling them to anyone yet? It would sure be nice to take the Boss out to the track and be able to bang it into 2nd gear (overdrive) and put up some good times.
502wingman

Post by 502wingman »

I heard of the first guys here in Germany getting one. Heard (which means I dont know !!!) something about 12.000€. Considering the taxes, shipping etc. that should be around 10.000US$.
Make sure you get one with the latest upgrade. They did one more change this spring to them to make them foolproof after blowing up 5 of them.
Again, I heard this, I do not know for sure
Last edited by 502wingman on Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
Gila123

Post by Gila123 »

Thanks guys ,,, if it was for my LS3 it wouldn't even be a consideration ,,, I would go winters ,,, but it's for my 502 which I rarely use ,,, huge price difference ,,, I'm thinking about 20 grand for the Winters installed compared to 3-4 grand ,,, and the upgraded Nesco is a good unit ,,, will probably go with whats available ,,, I'm also considering a complete new unit ,,, Thanks Again.

bossone

Post by bossone »

To Gila123 aka Mike, This is Robin, owner of the Boss Hoss Willy 605 trike in Canada. I have some good news for you. Left you a message on your cell. PM is not working. You can also email me at clubsolo@hotmail.com.
Grand Canard

Post by Grand Canard »

Gila123 wrote:Thanks guys ,,, if it was for my LS3 it wouldn't even be a consideration ,,, I would go winters ,,, but it's for my 502 which I rarely use ,,, huge price difference ,,, I'm thinking about 20 grand for the Winters installed compared to 3-4 grand ,,, and the upgraded Nesco is a good unit ,,, will probably go with whats available ,,, I'm also considering a complete new unit ,,, Thanks Again.
Check with Tom at Mountain to confirm, but I believe Tom retails them around $11k and that includes a new torque converter; again, call Mountain to confirm.

"Work when you have to,
Quit when you can.
Follow your dream
Be your own man.
Whoop when you're high.
Love a good woman...
Ride till you die."
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

Grand Canard wrote:
Gila123 wrote:Thanks guys ,,, if it was for my LS3 it wouldn't even be a consideration ,,, I would go winters ,,, but it's for my 502 which I rarely use ,,, huge price difference ,,, I'm thinking about 20 grand for the Winters installed compared to 3-4 grand ,,, and the upgraded Nesco is a good unit ,,, will probably go with whats available ,,, I'm also considering a complete new unit ,,, Thanks Again.
Check with Tom at Mountain to confirm, but I believe Tom retails them around $11k and that includes a new torque converter; again, call Mountain to confirm.

I called and that is exactly what I was told. $11K including TC

I talked with a customer in Germany and they are being charged $14K
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
Grand Canard

Post by Grand Canard »

petitemoose wrote:
Grand Canard wrote:

I'll bet money that Mountain isn't charging an extra $3k for European customers or extra $$ for anyone anywhere else on the planet; if you want someone to handle the transmission order on your behalf, take care of everything for you then there will be a fee for that service.

"Work when you have to,
Quit when you can.
Follow your dream
Be your own man.
Whoop when you're high.
Love a good woman...
Ride till you die."
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

Grand Canard wrote:
petitemoose wrote:
Grand Canard wrote:

I'll bet money that Mountain isn't charging an extra $3k for European customers or extra $$ for anyone anywhere else on the planet; if you want someone to handle the transmission order on your behalf, take care of everything for you then there will be a fee for that service.
I know that the elevated costs are not coming from this side of the pond. Sorry if it was inferred that Mountain was anything but upright and honest folks. Nothing could be further from the truth IMO
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
502wingman

Post by 502wingman »

It is not clear you are talking $ or €. At least 15% exchange rate difference. Also there is shipping, a 19%(!!!) VAT and about 3% customs. This may add up fast....
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

What the hell is this transmission made of ,Platinum. That price is rediculous! I can see $5000 - $6000 but $11,000 . Come on !
Orlando606VetteTrike

Post by Orlando606VetteTrike »

Jack with your extensive history in the machining and fabrication world, you see/know something we don't. I too feel it's a bit high. But, if you want to play you have to pay.
2008 606 Corvette Trike
Paul H

Post by Paul H »

Anybody ask what a Vanquish trans goes for???
It comes with a Powerglide trans. It's the 90 degree
box that costs the most??? It's all custom designed
and that cost big bucks. Same as the Winters.

Paul H
Jack

Post by Jack »

Theoretically the Winters should be smaller than the Vanquish - right? Doesn't it retrofit into certain model/yr BHs?

Putting a 90* drive on the back of a powerglide could be done for a couple thousand - all in. it would be a foot or so longer than anyone wanted, which is why nobody does it.
1998 Wild One Custom - Homebuilt
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Jegs sells new tranmission for no where near what they are asking for the Winters . I know , a different animal but still a major piece of work .
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

Paul H wrote:Anybody ask what a Vanquish trans goes for???
It comes with a Powerglide trans. It's the 90 degree
box that costs the most??? It's all custom designed
and that cost big bucks. Same as the Winters.

Paul H
I asked Mike that a couple years ago. After all the retrofitting work and price of parts you are looking at a $20k - $25k Bill.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Isn't the V tranny integrated into the frame/swingarm?
1998 Wild One Custom - Homebuilt
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Ever since I began riding a BH, there have been countless threads regarding transmissions. The foibles and failures of the Nesco are well known. We have read all about the Winters, the Vic Richards VR-2, the legendary Dynaclaw 5 speed, the Loch Ness Monster of transmissions, the Ranger two speed, the Vanquish P/G as well as half a dozen purported and self proclaimed geniuses who were going to build their own bullet proof gearbox. To date, we have the Winters. Everyone who rides a BH needs to accept the fact that, for 90% of you, the Nesco is your only choice. Unless you can shell out 10 to 12 large, you're stuck with the corn burner. Mike Kelly will sell you a trans, I'm sure, but it ain't a bolt in......not even close. The Winters is the only direct replacement trans made. That being said, a good Nesco will bring 4-6K on eBay. This brings the Winters into a fairly affordable option. In a perfect world, you could be into one for 4-6K. A lot of dough but not so bad when you think about it. How much do two Nesco rebuilds cost??
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I guess it's a quick way to increase the value of our bikes by $11,000 plus sell our Nesco 2 speed on ebay for $4000 . It 's sounding better .
viczena

Post by viczena »

I bought a Winters transmission and i am waiting for my dealer to install it in my 502.

Will keep you informed.

http://g-homeserver.com/showthread.php? ... 2#post1792
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Iw wish Ricky Dietz would ride BERZERKER and give the trans a proper test so that we could really find out if it is as tough as its supposed to be. There is a big write up about it with pictures but its in German and I don't know what it says. Is there not at least one person with one in a bike that rides it hard and can tell us something here in the states. No wonder they are 11000 dollars, it will take 20 years to get the initial investment back at the rate they are selling.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada