New Winters Transmission

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
misfit

Re: New Winters Transmission

Post by misfit »

I wonder if the Winters trans is more efficient at putting the power to the rear tire than the nesco? I've never ridden a V8 Chopper bike, but SQ4mn says it's trans is much better at transferring power to the tire. I think it's a single speed? He has ridden both and I believe his thoughts on both to be true. I still love the Boss but, ever since I built my 1st one a '95 kit I have been disappointed in the performance. Proudly own an 01 chopper city build with nitrous small block now.
Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

It is not a Question of Efficiency or putting more power on the rear wheel. The Problem is the second gear. In the first gear you could take part on any race, but you must not accellerate fast in the second gear and also changing the gear into second driving more than 90 mph is only for some times.....the the trans could wreck. But it seems that some Nescos stray stronger than other Necos. Maybe it depends on the Day they were built...(Monday?).
Life is to short, to drive small Bikes
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Gladiator wrote:It is not a Question of Efficiency or putting more power on the rear wheel. The Problem is the second gear. In the first gear you could take part on any race, but you must not accellerate fast in the second gear and also changing the gear into second driving more than 90 mph is only for some times.....the the trans could wreck. But it seems that some Nescos stray stronger than other Necos. Maybe it depends on the Day they were built...(Monday?).
I do believe that some Nesco's are better than others most likely due to more precision assembly , tighter tolerances and so on .
Puff

Post by Puff »

Gladiator,

I am on my 3rd Nesco transmission.
Es ist meine dritte getriebe aus Nesco.

70,000 miles on this transmission.
Hundert+ kilometers mit diese getriebe.

Very good at this time.
Sehr gut heute.

(Mein Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut. Es tut mir leid.)
Auf Englisch--- My German is not the best. Sorry.

Puff Bill
Bill Van Sant

502wingman

Post by 502wingman »

Your German is great Bill. There is even a German word in your name...wondering how that comes :toofunny: :D :D
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Puff wrote:Gladiator,

I am on my 3rd Nesco transmission.
Es ist meine dritte getriebe aus Nesco.

70,000 miles on this transmission.
Hundert+ kilometers mit diese getriebe.

Very good at this time.
Sehr gut heute.

(Mein Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut. Es tut mir leid.)
Auf Englisch--- My German is not the best. Sorry.

Puff Bill
Lucky you live near the factory !
Puff

Post by Puff »

Peter,

Ich erinnere 2005.
Big Moose Dance Hall.

1) Abracadabra
2) Presto
3) POOF ! (PUFF! )

:nanner:
Bill Van Sant

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

@HogV8
You are right!!! There exist a lot of and sometimes big differences about the fitting accuary of he the inner parts of the transmission. Im very glad, that mine is obviousliy one of the better ones and counts to the "more exacts" .

@Puff
I was able to understood all you wanted to tell!! Thanks!! I hope, this applies to my English........
Life is to short, to drive small Bikes
firstmarcus

Post by firstmarcus »

Modification Boss Hoss LS3 with the new Winters transmission
First driving report from Dec, 23.2018
Yesterday I drove full of excitement to Hürth to BossHoss Cycles. The two Müllers people have welcomed me friendly and there was once a coffee to marvel and appraisals. And to marvel there was a lot of these horny Hossen in this company, no one believes. Of course I had a few small special requests in stock that were done immediately.
Frank Müller and his mechanic explained in detail again exactly the conversion with the 18 "rims in front and behind as well as the new tires and of course the new Winters transmission.
The cost of the winter gearbox is of course a bit higher, no question. Fortunately, I was in Dyersburg / Tennessee in August and Frank Müller had kindly signed me up for the factory tour, so I knew exactly what I was getting into.
Although we were not there until around 1:00 pm on Friday afternoon, Justin led one of the BossHoss Cycles employees through the factory floors and explained everything to us in great detail. And finally he offered me the new Stroker with 6.3 L with the new Winters gear sample to drive, because I could not resist, of course, and had the gear during this test drive already thoroughly tested and was totally thrilled.

Since we are not talking about a ZF transmission that is produced 100,000 times but still talking about a new development that may be produced a couple of hundred times, I find the price very reasonable. Due to the light drizzle I was unfortunately unable to make a test drive on site.
The mechanic was still so nice and fastened the front tire support in the trailer and loaded my LS 3.

This morning I immediately took the chance and sat on my Boss Hoss and drove off. It was indescribable, when I started the engine I did not notice any difference. I put in the first gear and drove slowly out of the garage onto the street. At about 90 km/h I switched to the overdrive which is now second gear because it is really a second gear and no more OD.

Before the test drive in Dyersburg / Tennessee, I would have expected a jerk to the right when switching but I only felt a slight click - as if you pressed a switch, the speed decreased the adhesion was immediately there and the clutch packed immediately , I turned the throttle back, reduced the speed to about 60 km/h and switched back to first gear. After that I switched to the second gear at 40 and accelerated after that I accelerated even more, and again and again the clutch immediately took hold. So slowly the usual fear left me to switch to second gear only at 100 km/h. It was a totally liberated driving.
The switching operations you get as already mentioned only by a slight clack with without the machine take a jerk to right. I cruised through the city at 50-70 km/h and took the gas away.
The speed was then reduced very slowly to about 30 km/h without moving the gas in the so-called idle at 800 revolutions she then slipped away.
Since I do not necessarily have to downshift in the city, the so-called sailing starts with gas take-off, which I find very pleasant.
I can only confirm my impression of the test drive from Dyersburg/Tennessee in August.
Driving a Boss Hoss with the new gearbox is an absolute asset. The very good-natured behavior of the winter gearbox affects the whole driving style.
The movement of the machine is much smoother, and due to the low speeds also acoustically much more relaxed.
Or in other words:
It's just a fucking good ride a Boss Hoss with a Winters gear.
That would actually say everything.
Many thanks to the Müllers people and the mechanics for the great job ...
Merci and see you soon
Jack

Post by Jack »

Thank you for the review!
1998 Wild One Custom - Homebuilt
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Very good.

I love the overall perception "It's just a fucking good ride a Boss Hoss with a Winters gear."..
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
Gila123

Post by Gila123 »

Hi All ,,, after almost three years of waiting to have the tranny in my 2005 502 replaced it has finally happened ,,, want to thank Tim Dalbec and Bryan Ward for their great help through this painful procedure ,,, not going to go into detail but this has been a hard ,,, finally succeeded by the great help from these two individuals.

Orlando606VetteTrike

Post by Orlando606VetteTrike »

2008 606 Corvette Trike
viczena

Post by viczena »

The Winters transmission is installed and runs great. I have written more about my experiences. See link for english translation:

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... edit-text=
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Its good to hear that the Winters trans is meeting or beating all expectations on at least one bike. I would think Boss Hoss has sold more than ten or twenty bikes with Winters transmissions in them by now, why don't we hear from someone else too? Is there anyone on here besides Ricky that has a Winters equipped bike?

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Ravinsomniac

Post by Ravinsomniac »

SQ4MN wrote:Its good to hear that the Winters trans is meeting or beating all expectations on at least one bike. I would think Boss Hoss has sold more than ten or twenty bikes with Winters transmissions in them by now, why don't we hear from someone else too? Is there anyone on here besides Ricky that has a Winters equipped bike?
Maybe they are having such a good time tearing up the streets, that don't have time to post. Like the old saying, "no news is good news"
Orlando606VetteTrike

Post by Orlando606VetteTrike »

My friend John has put one in his 2005 606 and absolutely loves it. He says it a whole new machine. The second gear roll on is exhilarating to say the least. They are a direct replacement (lol) but you will need to tweek and fit a few things such as the lines and the reverser solenoid.
2008 606 Corvette Trike