Questions: Independent Rear Suspension Trike

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
The Mindless Philosopher

Questions: Independent Rear Suspension Trike

Post by The Mindless Philosopher »

I'll start off by saying I'm having a hard enough time keeping gas in the tank these days, so I'm just on an information gathering mission that I hope might come in handy some year long down the road, if not handy to someone else in the short term. If I ever get to that point, an Independent Rear Suspension (IRS) would likely be the very last modification I make.

So here are my questions:

- Who out there owns a V8 trike of any brand with IRS?
- How does it behave in turns (Tail of the Dragon, if any of you have been to North Carolina, or maybe some of the twists in the hills of California or elsewhere)?
- What are the pro's/con's that you have experienced with an IRS V8 trike vs. straight axle?
- What kind of an IRS are you running/have you run on a V8 trike? Corvette? Jaguar? Other?

The main reason I ask is that these primarily straight-line beasts seem to be "bested" by nearly anything out there on the road when it comes to twists and turns. I love riding the mountain sides (been on a few in California and some on historic Route 66 in Arizona), but I hate having to snail along to do it. I'm not dreaming of blasting through, I just don't like nearly being flattened by cages screaming up on me in blind turns.

I doubt an independent rear suspension would help much, if at all, but I figured I'd toss these questions out there anyway. I realize the "footprint" (hub to hub width and tire patch), wheelbase, center of gravity and other factors play into it.
V8Norm

Re: Questions: Independent Rear Suspension Trike

Post by V8Norm »

I have a Jag independent rear end. Not cut down. And your in luck..... it is also for sale.

Norm
TXscooterguy

Post by TXscooterguy »

I have a 2015 Boss Hoss Coupe and a 2007 Harley FLHT with a Champion IRS conversion. The IRS makes for a smoother ride especially on rough roads. Sport riders tend to like the straight axle in aggressive corners. I've been told it gives the rider a greater feeling of control because there is less movement in the suspension.
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

I've always been lead to beleave that a beam axle handles better on a trike. Being able to take the trike in to fast bends is more to do with trail. I'm running bike trail which like you say, makes fast cornering very hard work. I'm planning a front end chop and a reduced trail. I'll obviously report back on progrtss
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

knockdolian wrote:I've always been lead to beleave that a beam axle handles better on a trike. Being able to take the trike in to fast bends is more to do with trail. I'm running bike trail which like you say, makes fast cornering very hard work. I'm planning a front end chop and a reduced trail. I'll obviously report back on progrtss
V8norms trike has amazing rake. Don't know what trail he has but reading his build progress I remember he changed the front end a couple of times so he may be able to report how much trail affects fast turns
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

My uncle has a H-D with a Hannigan trike conversion that incorporates IRS. He has also owned BH bikes and trikes.

He is VERY PRO IRS. If BH offered an IRS trike, they would probably hook my uncle back into the BH family.

A suggestion - maybe check with Winters Performance out of York, PA. They recently completed development of the new BH bike 2-speed trans, so they have some BH experience. But more importantly, they are huge rear end and IRS producers for the street rod community & might have ability to produce a retro-fit unit for BH.

Good Luck!

WB
"A true hotrodder wouldn't be content until he had created a vehicle so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Call V8 Choppers, they been making one for years, lots of experience, they make non independent trikes too.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
jimbo

Post by jimbo »

Yes that should be good. It seems like norm had one of those also. Check with him about that experience.
Imzz4

Post by Imzz4 »

I put an 87 XJS Jag in mine that I narrowed enough so the tires would hang out under the body evenly a couple inches.
The left side had to be 2 inches shorter because of the ring and pinion. That requires different spring pressures on each side plus a bunch of head scratching to figure out what geometry you want to end up with. I put a sway bar on it also and I would guess it is a big help in turns. Some time I may unhook it to see what happens. I liked the idea of inboard rotors, and it also had 288 gears in it. Mine rides nice, but I don't know that if I did it all over, I'd probably just put a straight rear in it. One thing I don't care for is the small 10 in rotors that are 1/2" thick. The power brakes I first tried did not work out because the piston dia. was too large. I can convert to vented rotors later on with a spacer kit for the calipers. I need more than the 400 miles on it to have a better opinion to be honest.
You have the right plan, keep on getting info !!!! Jeff
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

jimbo wrote:Yes that should be good. It seems like norm had one of those also. Check with him about that experience.
I see that JIMBO on his second post ever on this site would like to take a negative experience and pass it on. There are virtually hundreds of owners with positive experiences so ask some of them too. I thought this was post was about trike suspensions, not about personal disagreements.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

SQ4MN wrote:
jimbo wrote:Yes that should be good. It seems like norm had one of those also. Check with him about that experience.
I see that JIMBO on his second post ever on this site would like to take a negative experience and pass it on. There are virtually hundreds of owners with positive experiences so ask some of them too. I thought this was post was about trike suspensions, not about personal disagreements.
Jimbo's only other post was to give me shit about Adrian's passing. He hasn't the balls to identify himself or to state what his agenda is. So, for now, Jimbo you can kiss my ass.
Last edited by Carl La Fong on Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
Clint44

Post by Clint44 »

Hannigan converted our 2011 Street Glide,two years ago,and its ride quality is better than any other trike I've ever ridden.

Our 2006 BH trike w/Arnott air ride worked pretty well too,though.
Clint & Sherry
2006 Boss Hoss 57 trike (sold)
Imzz4

Post by Imzz4 »

Dave, glad I met you in Ok a few yrs back. !! I think the next time I get to your town, I'll look you up and ask to borrow one of your bikes to ride. Just because ! .Other than that , IRS is the only way to go on a 2 wheeler unless the bike has a one piece axle thats adjustable on either side :capwin:
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Imzz4 wrote:Dave, glad I met you in Ok a few yrs back. !! I think the next time I get to your town, I'll look you up and ask to borrow one of your bikes to ride. Just because ! .Other than that , IRS is the only way to go on a 2 wheeler unless the bike has a one piece axle thats adjustable on either side :capwin:
If you do get here you will be welcome and if its not to hot we can take a couple of bikes and go for a ride.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
The Mindless Philosopher

Post by The Mindless Philosopher »

Thank you all for the feedback and for the pointers/suggestions!