Trike info TH350

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
knockdolian

Trike info TH350

Post by knockdolian »

Hi all, well I made it to the TT ok except for the immobiliser whic I have now removed. Haveing never owned an auto vehicle and given the over heating issues I had last year I wanted to run some figures by you lot that know.
Pulling a 600 lb trailer 300 miles averaging 70 mph the rev counter showing 250 rpm my coolant hit a max temp of 200f on the gauge and trans oil 170f. That would be max up hill on a warm day. All sound good ??
Thanks
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Re: Trike info TH350

Post by CanuckHoss »

knockdolian wrote:Hi all, well I made it to the TT ok except for the immobiliser whic I have now removed. Haveing never owned an auto vehicle and given the over heating issues I had last year I wanted to run some figures by you lot that know.
Pulling a 600 lb trailer 300 miles averaging 70 mph the rev counter showing 250 rpm my coolant hit a max temp of 200f on the gauge and trans oil 170f. That would be max up hill on a warm day. All sound good ??
Thanks
Sounds perfect to me .... RPM (rev counter) was 2500 correct?
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

Yes Barry, mist a 0, 2500 rpm
The Mindless Philosopher

Post by The Mindless Philosopher »

I agree with CanuckHoss.

My trike hits around 190* F at 70 MPH (2700-ish RPM on a TH350 and 3:23 rears) this time of year (110-124* F air temperature) without even pulling a trailer, and around 160* F in the milder winter months.
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

Thanks, that gives me confidence that all is well. If my coolant hits 200f in our uk climate how you guys get on in the desert is beyond me. I ended up fitting two transmission coolers one in the front under the radiator and one at the back with a fan fitted. Seemed to work well. Thanks again
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

While on the subject of what to expect, on steady acceleration I notice the gear change at about 2500 revs but harder acceleration I hardly notice the change. Mainly because I'm holding on !! At what speed and revs will it change to third. I'm guessing much higher than the 70mph speed limit. Cheers
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

knockdolian wrote:While on the subject of what to expect, on steady acceleration I notice the gear change at about 2500 revs but harder acceleration I hardly notice the change. Mainly because I'm holding on !! At what speed and revs will it change to third. I'm guessing much higher than the 70mph speed limit. Cheers

Trikes I have had will go into 3rd at 30 mph...maybe less...then you puttz around town in 3rd.

if you try this...go 30 MPH then drop it into 2nd and you will see the difference and it will shift into 2nd..
CanuckHoss

knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

Thanks Barry, I'll give it a go
Paul H

Post by Paul H »

Speaking of TH 350 transmissions, has anybody ever
heard of a "LOCKUP" torque converter for a TH 350???
I always thought it had to an electronically controlled
trans to obtain lockup??? He is also claiming the lockup
gives him a "4 TH gear"??? All this is on a eBay BH trike
for sale???

Paul H
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

[quote="CanuckHoss"][quote="knockdolian"]While on the subject of what to expect, on steady acceleration I notice the

Trikes I have had will go into 3rd at 30 mph...maybe less...then you puttz around town in 3rd

Just out of interest Barry . Because as I said, I have no experience with autos. Do you drop the revs off to change from 3rd to 2nd or just knock it in ?? Probably a stupid question but if you don't know you don't know. Also how would a box change into 3rd at 30 mph when mine is doing 70 mph at 2.5K what would it be revving at at 30 in 3 rd ?
Thanks
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

knockdolian wrote:
CanuckHoss wrote:
knockdolian wrote:While on the subject of what to expect, on steady acceleration I notice the

Trikes I have had will go into 3rd at 30 mph...maybe less...then you puttz around town in 3rd

Just out of interest Barry . Because as I said, I have no experience with autos. Do you drop the revs off to change from 3rd to 2nd or just knock it in ?? Probably a stupid question but if you don't know you don't know. Also how would a box change into 3rd at 30 mph when mine is doing 70 mph at 2.5K what would it be revving at at 30 in 3 rd ?
Thanks
at 30 mph in 3rd rpms are low and you can just whack back the shifter once and you have 2nd..wont hurt a thing

being in 2nd intown gives more get up and go when needed
CanuckHoss

Paul H

Post by Paul H »

Sorry Guys, I am wrong about the TH 350 NOT having
a lock up T/C. My best bud Frank says that they had
Lock Up T/C since 1968. My bad for thinking.

Paul H
Clint44

Post by Clint44 »

Paul H wrote:Sorry Guys, I am wrong about the TH 350 NOT having
a lock up T/C. My best bud Frank says that they had
Lock Up T/C since 1968. My bad for thinking.

Paul H
TH350 transmissions were introduced in 1969 and didn't have a lock-up converter until 1979-84, when GM introduced a TH350-C with a lock-up. 4L60 four speed autos phased out the TH350 in 1982 and aren't computer controlled. That happened in 1993 when the 4L60E was introduced. 2010-earlier BH trikes came with a TH350. Later BH trikes come equipped with a 4L70E.
Clint & Sherry
2006 Boss Hoss 57 trike (sold)
Paul H

Post by Paul H »

Thanks Clint for more accurate and correct INFO.

My saw dust brain is getting "OLD"

Paul H