Boss Hoss Owners

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
Donnie

Boss Hoss Owners

Post by Donnie »

:dizzy: I want to purchase a Boss Hoss Trike toward the end of the year. I would like to purchase a new one so I can get the color, accessories, and things I would like to have. I have been looking at the Boss Hoss trikes on the internet and I see alot of used trikes and also bikes out there with very low mileage, but they could have many years on them. I really like the Boss Hoss Trikes and want one, but my question is why are there so many Boss Hoss bikes and trikes out there with not that many miles on them and lot of years. I have had bikes, trikes all my life and I when I purchase a bike I ride it and put miles on it. I know a Boss Hoss product is very expensive, but are they reliable to have? There is the saying, if you can afford to buy it, you should be able to by the gas for it. If you guys and gals riding the Boss Hosses out there could tell me how many miles / kilometers you put on your ride and also what kind of mileage do you get, I would deeply appreciate it.
petitemoose

Re: Boss Hoss Owners

Post by petitemoose »

You have a legitimate question. Since you are looking at a Trike, you will avoid the topic and related drama associated with the Bikes 2 Speed tranny. There are a few things that are challenging about the trike, Not having one, I can only offer my opinion from what I have seen and read, not first hand experience. The first is that no matter what trike you get ( Gangsta Exepted ) You will want to get / fabricate a body tilt kit. It just makes life easier. The Gangsta is ineligible because of its design. Secondly, IF you ever have work done to the transmission, you will need to pay special attention to alignment upon re-installation. If not done properly, you will blow U-Joints. Those are the only two things that come to mind BUT I am not a trike owner. Others that are will chime in with more relevant information.

As for so many trikes out there with low miles ... I do not understand either. I guess it is either a matter of they bought it because they could and have them more as trophies instead of rides OR they just do not have the time they thought they would to get out and enjoy them.

They have a Chevy Engine and transmission with a Ford 8" rear end out of a ranger ( I think ) All long lasting, dependable proven stuff. Not many threads about constant break downs or persistent issues that can't be handled rather easily or inexpensively. For the past few years they have been having issues with programming on the LS platforms with the Hot Rod cams in them. Those have recently been put to bed. Some of the guys are still fighting that battle with their older trikes. I saw a trike with a hot cam in Daytona and it sounded and drove great.

If you decide to get an older trike, decide what you want first. The 502's have a sound all their own, are impressive, in a league of their own and hard to find. Small Blocks can be just as nasty, get better fuel mileage and are easier to find. The newer LS powered bikes get the best mileage, are just as quick as the Big Blocks but will need to be either updated to the new controller or have a custom map done. It will be a matter of personal taste and budget which is all you. No matter what you decide, you will get years of great rides, thousands of smiles per mile and will always make friends every time you stop. Not only that, you will get to meet some of the guys and gals on this forum that think having a V8 in a Bike or trike is "Normal"
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
Jack

Post by Jack »

I can speak from V8 ownership experience but not from any specific point of view other than my own.

Nothing wrong with the bike/trike that limits them to VERY low mileage. When you consider the cost of ownership, you're dealing with a select few, these people probably have multiple vehicles if not multiple bikes. They pick and choose between several nice vehicles, the BH may not always be the first choice.

From my perspective - I have 2 young kids and I live in Buffalo. Even just riding to work is a chore because I cart the kids to the in-laws before work, then drive home to get the bike, get suited up, gas, then ride in. God forbid I have errands to run while I'm at work, or have shopping to do on the way home because my options are extremely limited. And I mentioned Buffalo - right? That means I only get ~1/2 of a year to even consider riding. There are plenty of guys on here with the freedom to ride all of the time - and they do. They probably ride more than I drive. Mine sits in the garage until the perfect opportunity comes up for me to enjoy it for a few miles.

Current ride is a 1998 Wild One Custom - less than 8000 miles. Previous ride was a 1998 Boss Hoss SBC, and that had less than 10k on it when it was sold about 10 years ago. And that included the ride home from the factory.

In other words... don't let the low miles scare you, and you should seriously consider picking one of them up at a DEEP discount vs new if that is something you would consider.
1998 Wild One Custom - Homebuilt
Donnie

Post by Donnie »

petitemoose & Jack

Thanks for the replies, both of you said basically the same things and I understand the logic behind the miles. I currently have 2 bikes at this time, a Harley and a BMW, it depends who I ride with mostly that determines which bike I use, so the miles are down on each bike as to having just one where the miles would be accumulated.

What type of mpg do you get with your V8? No one really talks about this, I have only seen on BH website where they state 30/25 highway/city with the LS 445 engine.
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

I am on an '05 SB bike with the Hot Cam and a few other goodies. Nothing Radical. I have no clue what a trike gets but will happily answer the question. I run the "High Octane" 92/93 Gas here in Florida.
Fuel mileage depends on a lot of factors. Idling around parking lots and in traffic, my mileage sux. I burned 1/2 tank one day in Daytona during Bike week and only covered 25 miles. They claim our gas tanks hold 8.5 gallons. I have yet to put in more than 8 but I have also never run out of gas.
Not counting any Daytona Bike week days .... Best Mileage I have personally gotten was 165 miles to a tank. Just over 20 mpg. Worst mileage per tank full was just shy of 70 miles. That day I also emptied the Nitrous bottle. The Smile, however, lasted for 3 days.
If I had to guess, the average fuel mileage I get is right around 15mpg. You can't ride around balls to the wall every time you climb in the saddle but you can't just putt around all the time either. You will be in a relaxed "Cruising" state of mind and two minutes later you find yourself in the secondaries "merging" onto the Interstate. Trike riders are even worse once they become addicted to spinning the two rear tires. I know a certain Canuck that spins his tires at almost every stop light in Daytona when the wind blows just right ... Then again Fuel here in the States is 1/2 price to him so its not a big deal.
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
rocketsteve

Post by rocketsteve »

Probably of very little significance, but I've been told by the Police that my Speedo is under-reading so in effect I'm doing 35 mph actual when the speedo tells me it's 30 mph.

I've checked it on my Satnav and they're right.
So, this will also result in less miles recorded.
To test a man's character, give him (Hoss) power.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I couldn't tell you MPG... my homebuilt bike - not a BH - isn't in perfect running order, and I haven't run a full tank through it since I rebuilt it. Also, it is only a 1 speed manual (clutch bike).

Given the gearing in the bike, though, it cruises through town at idle, but on the highway at 80 its spinning something like 4000rpm... no load, but that is a lot of RPM.

If I had to guess, I've gotten as bad as 10mpg, but would assume with my EFI and proper tuning I could exceed 20mpg pretty easily.

Your automatic BH experience should vary significantly.
1998 Wild One Custom - Homebuilt
craig haymaker

Post by craig haymaker »

Hi Donnie, Craig Haymaker here. You've most likely seen my recent classified here, on my 57 Chevy trike for sale.
I've learned just a ton of info. Donnie, on the LS-3 trikes since owning mine, so please don't hesitate to shout out if needed.
Fuel millage: With the new program on mine, and believe it or not, I went from 20 mpg hwy. to 26-27 mpg ! Now that is a lot of change I feel, and this is on the hot cam LS-3 485 hp trike, not bad at all !
Do you want electronic cruise control ? On the brand new 17' BHs, they elected to take a step backwards, and no longer have TBW = no cruise control (I'm pretty sure)! Dennis would probably know for sure.
So Donnie, if you are looking at the LSx engine in your trike and want the cruise option, then you are currently looking at the 2012 - 2016 model years. But those trikes / bikes Will need the new program to run like they should and have the good cam sound !
Good luck on your hunt Donnie,
Craig H.
Last edited by craig haymaker on Wed May 24, 2017 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

RocketSteve wrote:Probably of very little significance, but I've been told by the Police that my Speedo is under-reading so in effect I'm doing 35 mph actual when the speedo tells me it's 30 mph.

I've checked it on my Satnav and they're right.
So, this will also result in less miles recorded.
Recalibrate your speedo. Not difficult other than mapping out exactly 1 mile.
The Mindless Philosopher

Post by The Mindless Philosopher »

I am the 8th owner of my 2001 '57 Chevy ZZ4 Boss Hoss trike. Somewhere along the line someone failed to take care of it. I have been in an endless cycle of repairs and replacements since I bought it from a friend in 2014. It had only 23K when I bought it, but it looked like it had been parked in the middle of the desert for 10 years. I have managed to put another 7K miles on it between repairs over the past 2-1/2 years. It seldom sees more than 2 or 3 weeks of road time before something else rears its ugly head and it ends up sitting for months. At least they kept the fiberglass tilt body clean. Mine was undoubtedly a case of neglect, though I know a few previous owners did treat it right.

As to overall reliability, I cannot vouch for that at all, as I am still in the vortex of nickel-and-dime repairs, though the most recent was caused by stray road debris eating my radiator, an unavoidable fact of life in daily riding. Murphy's Law...

When it was treating me right, I went on a handful of round trips, in the neighborhood of 200-500 miles each, in desert, in mountains, and in lush greenery and ocean scenery. Hoss ran like a champ without nary a complaint. She definitely has it in her to be a long-lasting road worthy daily ride, once the dust finally settles. The key is regular maintenance and daily pre-ride inspections, as bolts will shake loose.

As for fuel economy, I am running a Carburetor Mike Stage II rebuild of a 750 CFM Edelbrock 1901. My trike's fuel economy city or highway, is a flat 17 MPG (unless I live deep in the throttle). The fuel economy is mainly limited by the TH350 transmission and the 3:23 rear gearing. Sure, that's a little shallow for rear gears, but it's plenty deep enough to eat the gas at 75 MPH (average Arizona speed limit) on a 3 speed transmission.

You will most definitely want a tilt kit, and you will likely find yourself making personal modifications as time goes by, as I have discovered owning a daily ride is a world different than a show time trailer queen. Too many annoying little inconveniences for daily use. I cannot really spell them out to you because such things really boil down to life experience on the open road, and personal preference. I will at least say that I re-plumbed my fuel lines and rigged up a quick release system on the main fuel tank. It made access for repairs a world easier! But with a new, fully reliable trike, you might not care about that particular convenience.

I hope I have not scared you with my horror stories, as it has been WELL WORTH the effort each time I straddle that saddle! LAWD HAMMERCY! That's some fine ridin'!
rocketsteve

Post by rocketsteve »

It's on the long list of Things-to-do Dennis. :ridding:
To test a man's character, give him (Hoss) power.
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

You should also go to the V8 Choppers website and look at their V8 Trikes. Several models to choose from with various horsepower and chassis combinations. They are in Miami Oklahoma.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Donnie wrote::dizzy: I want to purchase a Boss Hoss Trike toward the end of the year. I would like to purchase a new one so I can get the color, accessories, and things I would like to have. I have been looking at the Boss Hoss trikes on the internet and I see alot of used trikes and also bikes out there with very low mileage, but they could have many years on them. I really like the Boss Hoss Trikes and want one, but my question is why are there so many Boss Hoss bikes and trikes out there with not that many miles on them and lot of years. I have had bikes, trikes all my life and I when I purchase a bike I ride it and put miles on it. I know a Boss Hoss product is very expensive, but are they reliable to have? There is the saying, if you can afford to buy it, you should be able to by the gas for it. If you guys and gals riding the Boss Hosses out there could tell me how many miles / kilometers you put on your ride and also what kind of mileage do you get, I would deeply appreciate it.
Boss Hoss trikes are as reliable as the competition.

My honest opinion...and I am dealer..with a bad back...the Boss Hoss when rear shocks set properly will out ride the competition in ride quality on any of roads.

All V8's are all hotrods and as such shit happens...
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

In my opinion there are V8 Chopper models that a Boss Hoss trike will never even come close to matching in ride comfort. I have owned a BH trike and ride many. My BH trike was the best riding one I ever rode. I have ridden all the V8 Chopper trikes, they have a couple that ride better than any BH trike in my opinion. I say ride the V8 Chopper models and make your own decision.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

SQ4MN wrote:In my opinion there are V8 Chopper models that a Boss Hoss trike will never even come close to matching in ride comfort. I have owned a BH trike and ride many. My BH trike was the best riding one I ever rode. I have ridden all the V8 Chopper trikes, they have a couple that ride better than any BH trike in my opinion. I say ride the V8 Chopper models and make your own decision.
They could have some good riding trikes Dave....I have not ridden behind any in my 5 years at Daytona...have watched riders bounce around over bumps BUT if you have a good back that is never an issue right?

Unfortunately you have never ridden one of my Boss Hoss trikes after fine tuning...ALL models from the factory until the Monroe airride all rode like shit wagons......BUT get rid of the limiting shocks and put the straps..then adjust coil overs properly and they are super smooth. If Gwen can ride on our shitty roads up here with 7 or 8 compression fractures only 2 years ago that alone is testament to how I can make them ride.

I would love to try one of the smooth V8 Chopper trikes in Daytona next time to compare
CanuckHoss

SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

They have some that ride like a BH but they have 2 that ride smoother than any BH. Try one and then make a comment. I have ridden many BH and mine was really nice but not as nice as the V8 Chopper.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

SQ4MN wrote:They have some that ride like a BH but they have 2 that ride smoother than any BH. Try one and then make a comment. I have ridden many BH and mine was really nice but not as nice as the V8 Chopper.
Maybe you could try mine also before making a blanket statement that they outride ANY Boss Hoss trike...not wanting an argument here at all my fiend..I said I was anxious to try one...maybe October or next March. If indeed they are better than mine I will be the first to admit. If they don't then I will be the first to report..lol

I have also watched other Boss Hoss trikes bounce around in Daytona because the owners don't know how to make them smooth and just settle for how they are...
CanuckHoss

Donnie

Post by Donnie »

SQ4MN wrote:You should also go to the V8 Choppers website and look at their V8 Trikes. Several models to choose from with various horsepower and chassis combinations. They are in Miami Oklahoma.
Dave, have been looking at their site and also on Utube. There is some interesting trikes at V8 Choppers. Will definitely have to test ride both. Looking for comfort and most of all, durability & reliability. I put miles on a bike, don't trailer anywhere. I don't own a trailer either, I have to borrow one if need to take bike to the shop. Maybe I will start another topic and get people's opinions on V8 Choppers vs Boss Hoss.
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Donnie wrote:
SQ4MN wrote:You should also go to the V8 Choppers website and look at their V8 Trikes. Several models to choose from with various horsepower and chassis combinations. They are in Miami Oklahoma.
Dave, have been looking at their site and also on Utube. There is some interesting trikes at V8 Choppers. Will definitely have to test ride both. Looking for comfort and most of all, durability & reliability. I put miles on a bike, don't trailer anywhere. I don't own a trailer either, I have to borrow one if need to take bike to the shop. Maybe I will start another topic and get people's opinions on V8 Choppers vs Boss Hoss.
Boss Hoss owners will tell you Boss Hoss and V8 Chopper owners will tell you V8 CHopper..no different from Harley guys and Yamaha guys...what they own is the best.

These V8's, no matter the manufacturer, are not cookie cutter mass produced Honda's...they are Hotrods and as such require more TLC. When they breakdown, and they will, you will hate them and then as soon as you ride again you will know why you own some of the coolest stuff on the Planet.

Goos luck
CanuckHoss

SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

V8 CHOPPER makes three different suspensions for trikes. I have ridden all of them. The most basic one they make is like a Boss Hoss without the mickey mouse limiting straps BH use's to stop the upward travel. They also have two more, one is the hi tech independent suspension found on some race cars and the other is an independent suspension but of a different design that is really smooth. My point is you should ride them all then decide. Barry has made his BH ride what he considers good, my BH Trike rode what I considered good. I rode two V8 Chopper trikes that were better, one was much better. I am not really a trike guy but after riding for more than 60 years my ass and back can tell the difference about the way things ride. I am also not a BH dealer or a V8 Chopper dealer, I have sold V8 Choppers in the past for Stan at Sturgis and Daytona and Stan is like a brother to me but he certainly doesn't need me to help sell his Trikes, they sell themselves if someone rides them.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

You da man Dave...I don't know that much about suspensions I guess...LOL..it is all good as I said before.

BUT I am hoping Stan will let me ride one of the smooth riding units whenever I can get back to Daytona.
CanuckHoss

SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Barry, Stan will let you ride more than one, thats how he sells them. I sold almost 30 V8 Choppers in the short time I sold them. Each one I sold was AFTER the buyer rode one. Boss Hoss was right across the street at one show and I would tell the customers to go ride theirs first, we sold out in less than five days. If you ride them there will be one you really like. There is a big difference in the differences between the two different manufacturers and it seems to me if I was in the market the smart thing would be to ride all with an open mind before a prospective buyer pulled the trigger. There will be those that buy each brand but the satisfied ones will be the ones that rode each before they made a decision.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Absolutley Dave...no argument..you sell yourself short if you don't ride both brands... or is there 3 now??
CanuckHoss

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

You could have left that post Craig...

I was going to reply "find a really good 502 trike and Holley Sniper EFI it and Bob's your Uncle!!"..so I will anyways...lol
CanuckHoss

SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

CanuckHoss wrote:Absolutley Dave...no argument..you sell yourself short if you don't ride both brands... or is there 3 now??
There are 2 major brands but there is also VANQUISH which is a quality BIKE but I don't think they make a TRIKE. There may be more but I am not aware of them.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada