Condoms - Are They Really Necessary?

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
Wild Bill

Condoms - Are They Really Necessary?

Post by Wild Bill »

Sent my gauges back to Autometer, over the winter, for new faces, since mine had formed the infamous cracks. When reinstalling gauges in the panel, I decided to replace all bulbs as well. Unfortunately, all the old little bulb condoms were cracked and unable to be transferred onto the new bulbs.

So, are those bulb condoms really necessary? Is there a heat issue, or some other issue if new bulbs are installed without them?

Thanks!

Bill

"A true hotrodder wouldn't be content until he had created a vehicle so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo
SQ4MN

Re: Condoms - Are They Really Necessary?

Post by SQ4MN »

You should always use new condoms. I would just as soon use none as to use a used one, especially if you already know its cracked.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Gila123

Post by Gila123 »

Is this the right place for this conversation,,, just saying ,,, lol ,,, I'm out in the middle of an ocean ,,, give me a break ,,,

Paul H

Post by Paul H »

Bill, have you checked into if you can
buy a LED replacements??? Do you
know just what the purpose is why
the condoms are there. Do they defuse
the light or keep water off the bulb???
LED just might be a better way then the
Condoms???

Paul H
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

About 10 years ago or so I sent all my gages to Autometer and had them replace the domes lens with flat glass lens and have never had a cracked lens since or fogging .
Ron Radulski

Post by Ron Radulski »

Wild Bill, my answer was going to be: It all depends if you want her to get pregnant or not. LOL Good Luck
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

Thanks all!

Yeah, I simply don't know the purpose of these bulb covers. Also, I do not know if LED replacements are available... good question, though.

Anyone have more input... like, where does me buy bulbs with these "condoms"???

Bill
"A true hotrodder wouldn't be content until he had created a vehicle so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo
502wingman

Post by 502wingman »

Bill,
I think they are just to protect the bulbs from fingerprints (Sweat !!!) when installing them. Sweat (acid !!!) is no good on halogen bulbs. Take them off once the the bulb is seated firmly in the socket.
This advice is for bulbs only :idea:
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I know when I bought Mt bike new in 2000 along with the manual was a plastic bag with about 5 or 6 red (condums) and 5 or 6 green (conduwms) I guess to change the color of the gage panel bulbs . However I never used them .
Last edited by hogv8 on Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Post by V8Bikers »

I would check with Autometer. IIRC, a new guage I bought years ago came with a bulb with the condom.

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard