TRIKE FRONT TIRE

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
craig haymaker

TRIKE FRONT TIRE

Post by craig haymaker »

This may be "old news" to some here, but I have just discovered it ! Avon is now making a "trike specific" front tire ! http://www.avonmoto.com/products/cruise ... obra-trike
I am assuming that the factory has been using these since they came out ! Anyone here have experience of this tire on a BH trike ? Thanks, Craig H.
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Re: TRIKE FRONT TIRE

Post by CanuckHoss »

Just looked at my new tire we installed last year on the 57 trike...not this new style for sure...but the same in every other way

I have always liked Avon so I assuming I would like the new Avon trike designed tire...
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
3FOR2

Post by 3FOR2 »

Craig,
Actually, that's a good find. Last year, they only had the 18", generally for GWs. The reviews have been good, both for mileage and even more so ride and handling. But, the 18" is a radial, so the reviews aren't really apples to apples.
Now that they have one for our trikes, it's certainly worth trying. They're warrantying it for 15,000 miles, and it's made for a trike. Don't know about you, but I only got 4,000 miles on the original front tire. That front tire has always been the bastard on any brand trike.
I'm sure you can read, but take note if you go this direction, it has TRIKE emblazoned on the sidewall. I'm thinking I might try one this year.
Pat.
2013 Pickup, LS3-445 with Hot Cam
craig haymaker

Post by craig haymaker »

You are exactly correct Pat, bias ply on the 16", not sure why Avon couldn't have made it as a radial to match our rear tires ? I'm now running g a Metezler ME888, and it appears to be wearing like steel ! But it is a very noisy rolling tire ! Some types of road surfaces and all tar snakes, causes a loud whining sound. I've checked that the rotation arrow is correct and played with pressure, it's just the nature of this beast on a trike !
But I am for sure giving this new Avon trike tire a try, if I can ever wear out my current ME888. Craig
craig haymaker

Post by craig haymaker »

Another thought on a "trike tire", (on a conventional trike that is): When turning the front wheel at any speed, and the higher the speed = worse, the forward motion & weight in said turn, is literally attempting to "rip" the rubber off the rim !
So a trike specific tyre with it's stronger side walls & flatter foot print is a very good thing.
Just stinkin out loud here, Craig
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

Here in the UK, people have been fitting motorcycle combination (bike & side car) rear tyres on the front of trikes only backwards. It's a very squalor profile and that helps with taking shake out the steering. It was explained why it's fitted backwards which made sense. Do they not fit a car type tire on the front of trikes in the States. I know a lot fit them on the back of bikes. That wouldn't be legal here
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

knockdolian wrote:Here in the UK, people have been fitting motorcycle combination (bike & side car) rear tyres on the front of trikes only backwards. It's a very squalor profile and that helps with taking shake out the steering. It was explained why it's fitted backwards which made sense. Do they not fit a car type tire on the front of trikes in the States. I know a lot fit them on the back of bikes. That wouldn't be legal here
I think that running a rear designed tire on the front of a bike or trike in reverse rotation is a "boss Hoss" thing...
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
Cheezyrider_2

Post by Cheezyrider_2 »

craig haymaker wrote:This may be "old news" to some here, but I have just discovered it ! Avon is now making a "trike specific" front tire ! http://www.avonmoto.com/products/cruise ... obra-trike
I am assuming that the factory has been using these since they came out ! Anyone here have experience of this tire on a BH trike ? Thanks, Craig H.
I contacted Avon about this because I was told by them just last year that they were only making the trike tire in the 18" size. I have now been told that the 16" is a new tire but that it must have trike on the sidewall. What hasn't been explained to me is why one is a bias ply (16") and the other is a radial (18") tire. Why aren't they both the same but different size?
3FOR2

Post by 3FOR2 »

Cheezy,
I'm no expert, but I'm led to believe that a radial sidewall won't stand up to the increased weight capacity. (74H vs 63V... 200 lbs in capacity difference)
Pat.
2013 Pickup, LS3-445 with Hot Cam
Cheezyrider_2

Post by Cheezyrider_2 »

I tend to think the same thing. It is also a shorter sidewall and that makes it more easily damaged by a pot hole
Ron Radulski

Post by Ron Radulski »

I was just thinking about Avon's new 16" bias ply TRIKE front tire. If we're all thinking the same thing, "will it handle OK with radials on the rear?" If it handles strangely, why not go "old school" all the way and put bias ply on the rears also. Just a thought. I'm not sure if it's a good one though. LOL