Bike / trike changes we want the Factory to address

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Bike / trike changes we want the Factory to address

Post by CanuckHoss »

I am going to try for an organized list of potential changes that Boss Hoss riders have been asking for. Rick wanted someone to compile a list so I will give it a good shot.

After a bit of this post running I have decided to make a change in how it works.

Please post your suggestions and I will copy them and add them to the list at the top..in this post...that way the list of suggestions is always current and at the top...and not lost in any conversations further down.

The Factory / Rick will just need to check in from time to time to see the suggestions up at the top and can check the dialogue if they want...

1. Drop out crossmember
2. Radiator drain petcock
3. Proper fan mounts, welded to the radiator
4. Better swing arm bushings/bearings
5. Transmisson temperature gauge as standard item
6. Redesigned dash panel indicators - better visibility

7. Owners manuals on-line, also add video of all procedures, or allow talented BH owners to produce quality video and and submit to BH, if quality and correct, we will make you famous by uploading to BH website tech section

8. FRAME: The frame should have gussets where they used to break. The frame should have tank mount tabs with the nuts welded to them instead of a hole drilled in the frame and threaded for a bolt to hold the gas tank on as my 2003 is.

9. TANK: The tank should have a FAST FLOW PETCOCK to shut the gas off if removing the tank from the bike. The fuel lines would be better if they were quick connect type, at least for carbed bikes.

10. WIRING: The wiring should be quality wire and sanitary and numbered and have all circuit breakers in one location. No extra lengths or generic cables with wires that go nowhere. Make the wiring look like it belongs to a fifty or sixty thousand dollar motorcycle not a Chinese scooter.

11. BRAKES: Better brakes should be a goal, but they shouldn't look like they came off a car as an afterthought. There is a fellow in New Zealand that makes a beautiful set up for the bikes, the factory should be able to do the same. ABS are nicer but not imperative.

12. ACCESSORIES: A mechanical fuel pump would be nice. A mechanical water pump would be nice if possible.
Carl made one in his garage that seems to work fine, I figure the factory could probably even do better. Turn signals that BLEND into the bike like many bikes already have instead of an aftermarket bolt on and ones that turn off automatic. A factory installed power supply socket for cigarette lighter or phones. Mirrors that don't come loose, maybe with the front turn signals in them. A horn that sounds like a truck, another words loud. A DAKOTA digital gauge set up might be better than than analog gauges even though I like the analog gauges.

13. FORKS: Dust shields to keep tar and bugs off the sliders, I've had to rebuild forks twice from fork seals being damaged by stuff that stuck to the sliders in long rides. A factory in stalled steering dampner would be nice with the bracket already welded on the frame.

14. TRANSMISSION: If a copy of a Nesco will be the new bike trans then I think an extra oil tank like California Boss Hoss used to sell would be the best thing that could be done for it. I have one and the oil rarely sees 140 degrees. Also needed is a dipstick or a good way to check the oil level, the sight glass is only good when brand new and its damn near impossible to see anyway. A sanitary trans cooler with good mounts is necessary.

15. A Steering Dampener. They "are" needed, especially on a trike, I have tested and verified this and so has my dealer.

16. A "complete" set of electrical wiring schematics". The same as ALL vehicles and motorcycles. Especially important when dealers are far and few! I can see their ECM programming, but there is nothing "top secret" about a wiring diagram

17. Why doesn't BH have a radiator grill?

18. Seating...Applies to trikes. I find the seating position on the newer trikes (LS motored trikes) closer to the tank and bars...actually too close...seems the seat position pushes the driver's arse too far forward for my liking. And in Daytona last year I had a couple trike passengers complain that the sissybar for the passenger is located too far back...they are part way off the back of the seat if they want to rest against the sissybar.

19. METAL front fenders instead of the plastic ones that crack at the mounting holes.

20. 12 volt power port for cell phones, heated gloves and vests, AcuJack and other accessories

21. Trike triple trees with similar rake & trail numbers as the KewlMetal units. Power steering without any headshake.

22. Nicer running boards. The standard units look like an afterthought. Offer a few board options.

23. More wheel options for trikes. Offer a wheel/tire delete option so customers can install what they want w/o paying for it,twice.

24. Billet aluminum trunk prop-rods on the trikes. Get rid of the gas struts.

25. A few different radiator shroud options would be nice.

25. Stainless exhaust header option.

26. Better LED lighting on front & rear of both bikes & trikes.

27. A few different seat options.

28. How about body tilt kit for the trikes? I was hoping one would've been designed for the Gangsta, but never was, to my knowledge

29. Address throttle lag on acceleration and deceleration.

30. Option "batwing style, normal styled HD" fairing for bikes and trikes. Dragonfly or Hoppe have been used successfully

31. How about putting an "accessory" feature on the ignition switch. That would allow you to use the 12 volt cigarette socket to charge a cellphone or laptop without having the headlight on.

32. How about a three speed tranny. My little small block is doing 2600 to 2800 rpm all day when I am cruising down the highway ... kinda makes listening to the radio, talking on the cell phone and texting to friends rather challenging to overcome the noise ...
In all seriousness, what are the chances? I would not even mind having the BH Tranny phrase morph into Play in 1st and 2nd and cruise only in OD ... Just saying.

33. How about a new design for Boss Hoss t-shirts??

34. Independent trike rear suspension
Last edited by CanuckHoss on Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:27 pm, edited 12 times in total.
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Re: Bike / trike changes we want the Factory to address

Post by CanuckHoss »

I have always thought that the transmission should have had a standard oil temperature gauge to help riders see exactly what the transmission is doing on the highway and it would avoid overheating issues.

I also find the new dash panel really hard to see the signal lights and gear positioning..could be just me but suggestions are just that..suggestions

So I will add them to the list
Last edited by CanuckHoss on Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CanuckHoss

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

From Rick: Owners manuals on-line, also add video of all procedures, or allow talented BH owners to produce quality video and and submit to BH, if quality and correct, we will make you famous by uploading to BH website tech section
Last edited by CanuckHoss on Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CanuckHoss

57chevygirl

Post by 57chevygirl »

how about gauges that don't fog up
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

57chevygirl wrote:how about gauges that don't fog up

Only time I have seen that is when a bike was washed in a carwash and the gauges were washed. In 15 years...hand washing my bikes and trikes only I have not had any gauges fog...maybe it is just me, I don't know. Not saying others have not had that problem...

We can add it officially to the list if you like??
CanuckHoss

knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

Being a complete novice hear and not knowing what Im talking about. Why don't BH have a radiator grill. Ive always thought they were very vulnerable. Just bought a sheet of perforated stainless to make on.
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

knockdolian wrote:Being a complete novice hear and not knowing what Im talking about. Why don't BH have a radiator grill. Ive always thought they were very vulnerable. Just bought a sheet of perforated stainless to make on.
I have custom ones made of stainless steel for BB and SB
CanuckHoss

TXscooterguy

Post by TXscooterguy »

My dealer, Curtis Pyatt, moved the cruise control buttons from the left side of the hand grip to the dash (because I lost the fingers on my left hand) and now I can easily operate the cruise feature. BUT, in doing so he also installed a blue LED in the dash that lights when the cruise circuit is turned on, similar to virtually all cars today. That might be something you should consider when making changes to the gauge sets, a cruise control indictor when the circuit is powered and another indicator when the cruise function is engaged.
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Here are a few things to think about. I have a 2003 bike so maybe some of my complaints have already been addressed on the newer bikes.

1. FRAME: The frame should have gussets where they used to break. The frame should have tank mount tabs with the nuts welded to them instead of a hole drilled in the frame and threaded for a bolt to hold the gas tank on as my 2003 is.

2. TANK: The tank should have a FAST FLOW PETCOCK to shut the gas off if removing the tank from the bike. The fuel lines would be better if they were quick connect type, at least for carbed bikes.

3. WIRING: The wiring should be quality wire and sanitary and numbered and have all circuit breakers in one location. No extra lengths or generic cables with wires that go nowhere. Make the wiring look like it belongs to a fifty or sixty thousand dollar motorcycle not a Chinese scooter.

4. BRAKES: Better brakes should be a goal, but they shouldn't look like they came off a car as an afterthought. There is a fellow in New Zealand that makes a beautiful set up for the bikes, the factory should be able to do the same. ABS are nicer but not imperative.

5. ACCESSORIES: A mechanical fuel pump would be nice. A mechanical water pump would be nice if possible.
Carl made one in his garage that seems to work fine, I figure the factory could probably even do better. Turn signals that BLEND into the bike like many bikes already have instead of an aftermarket bolt on and ones that turn off automatic. A factory installed power supply socket for cigarette lighter or phones. Mirrors that don't come loose, maybe with the front turn signals in them. A horn that sounds like a truck, another words loud. A DAKOTA digital gauge set up might be better than than analog gauges even though I like the analog gauges.

6. FORKS: Dust shields to keep tar and bugs off the sliders, I've had to rebuild forks twice from fork seals being damaged by stuff that stuck to the sliders in long rides. A factory in stalled steering dampner would be nice with the bracket already welded on the frame.

7. TRANSMISSION: If a copy of a Nesco will be the new bike trans then I think an extra oil tank like California Boss Hoss used to sell would be the best thing that could be done for it. I have one and the oil rarely sees 140 degrees. Also needed is a dipstick or a good way to check the oil level, the sight glass is only good when brand new and its damn near impossible to see anyway.
A sanitary trans cooler with good mounts is necessary.

I dont know how to paste these on the list but maybe Barry can. I have done many of these upgrades on my older bike already but the factory should do them as standard on the new bikes. This was a quick list off the top of my head but Ricky has built and designed a few of these bikes already and if he builds the new bikes as if they were his we all will be very happy. Ricky has mostly built for speed and power but I and many like me want reliability even more as any v8 bike already has plenty of power. I want a bike that can be ridden cross country with the reliability of a new car.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

1. Drop out crossmember

7. Owners manuals on-line, also add video of all procedures, or allow talented BH owners to produce quality video and and submit to BH, if quality and correct, we will make you famous by uploading to BH website tech section

8. FRAME: The frame should have gussets where they used to break. The frame should have tank mount tabs with the nuts welded to them instead of a hole drilled in the frame and threaded for a bolt to hold the gas tank on as my 2003 is.

9. TANK: The tank should have a FAST FLOW PETCOCK to shut the gas off if removing the tank from the bike. The fuel lines would be better if they were quick connect type, at least for carbed bikes.

10. WIRING: The wiring should be quality wire and sanitary and numbered and have all circuit breakers in one location. No extra lengths or generic cables with wires that go nowhere. Make the wiring look like it belongs to a fifty or sixty thousand dollar motorcycle not a Chinese scooter.

11. BRAKES: Better brakes should be a goal, but they shouldn't look like they came off a car as an afterthought. There is a fellow in New Zealand that makes a beautiful set up for the bikes, the factory should be able to do the same. ABS are nicer but not imperative.

12. ACCESSORIES: A mechanical fuel pump would be nice. A mechanical water pump would be nice if possible.

13. FORKS: Dust shields to keep tar and bugs off the sliders, I've had to rebuild forks twice from fork seals being damaged by stuff that stuck to the sliders in long rides. A factory in stalled steering dampner would be nice with the bracket already welded on the frame.

14. TRANSMISSION: If a copy of a Nesco will be the new bike trans then I think an extra oil tank like California Boss Hoss used to sell would be the best thing that could be done for it. I have one and the oil rarely sees 140 degrees. Also needed is a dipstick or a good way to check the oil level, the sight glass is only good when brand new and its damn near impossible to see anyway. A sanitary trans cooler with good mounts is necessary.
CanuckHoss

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Just an FYI Dave on the New Zealand rear brake...Briford...on Darryl's / Noodles 502 bike that rear brake was installed...worked great but we did have an issue when installing new pads...We did that and I went for a short ride and the rotor almost fried...I came back to the shop and we took out the new pads on one side of the rotor...put the old / thinner back in....seems that on that bike it was creating a very tight situation...not sure if it was design or what...but running new pads only in the inner or outer fixed the problem...and the last owner fixed it for good but totalling the bike off...
CanuckHoss

SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

The Briford brakes looked like they should be good. I don't know the reality of that. I do know that our brakes are ok but nothing to brag about. When you spend twice as much as the best of most manufacturers you should be able brag about how good it stops. I realize that all improvements cost money but the DIFFERENCE in costs between fair and good brakes should be an area that costs come second to function. It seems to me that Ricky and his partners want to build a great bike, in order to that, power, brakes, reliability, and looks all have to be great, take away any of that and you might have a good bike but not a great one. If the goal is to sell a lot of V8 bikes then they will have to be great and start to appeal to more than guys who just want to have a huge block of power between their legs. They will have to appeal to the many many Harley riders that can afford them but just see them as a novelty. It will have to happen by word of mouth and by the product actually selling itself because its great. I sold many V8 Choppers for Stan, the bikes looked great and the build quality was great, they sold themselves, I just closed the deal. Boss Hoss are not choppers but in my opinion there is a larger market for them than a chopper as far as bikes go, but they got to be great. Trikes are actually a bigger market in todays world here in the US, I found them easy to sell. The trike buyer is completely different from a bike buyer.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
craig haymaker

Post by craig haymaker »

Barry, first off PM sent. Can we please add these ideas for change:
1. I see that SQ4MN's idea #6 was left out, so I want to reinforce and add one of his suggestions. A Steering Dampener. They "are" needed, especially on a trike, I have tested and verified this and so has my dealer.
2. A "complete" set of electrical wiring schematics". The same as ALL vehicles and motorcycles. Especially important when dealers are far and few! I can see their ECM programming, but there is nothing "top secret" about a wiring diagram ! Thanks, Craig H.
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

craig haymaker wrote:Barry, first off PM sent. Can we please add these ideas for change:
1. I see that SQ4MN's idea #6 was left out, so I want to reinforce and add one of his suggestions. A Steering Dampener. They "are" needed, especially on a trike, I have tested and verified this and so has my dealer.
2. A "complete" set of electrical wiring schematics". The same as ALL vehicles and motorcycles. Especially important when dealers are far and few! I can see their ECM programming, but there is nothing "top secret" about a wiring diagram ! Thanks, Craig H.

Craig...Dave's #6 was FORKS...it ended up as #13 when I added it to the list...maybe I am not understanding??

I will add your suggestions..thanks

Just an FYI...I have not had an issue steering with any 2007 and up trike...the 502's handle so nice...I am sure that over slow speed bumps that the damper would make some bit of a difference but I personally don't see the need. On the newer...I have never driven the lightest of all Boss Hoss trikes...the LS3 so maybe the weight difference between it and a 502 is the difference.

Thank you
CanuckHoss

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

1. Drop out crossmember

15. A Steering Dampener. They "are" needed, especially on a trike, I have tested and verified this and so has my dealer.

16. A "complete" set of electrical wiring schematics". The same as ALL vehicles and motorcycles. Especially important when dealers are far and few! I can see their ECM programming, but there is nothing "top secret" about a wiring diagram
CanuckHoss

craig haymaker

Post by craig haymaker »

You are totally correct Barry, You did move the steering Dampener to #13, my apologies & my bad. When you have the opportunity, ride a LS trike. Reiterating here, at highway speeds, these newer trikes ride equally as or better than any three wheeled vehicle on the market ! It's just the slower speeds over any irregularity like speed bumps, entering or leaving on/off streets, that will shake the handlebars violently ! It's just the geometry and wheelbase of a 3-wheeled machine. Thanks again, Craig
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

craig haymaker wrote:You are totally correct Barry, You did move the steering Dampener to #13, my apologies & my bad. When you have the opportunity, ride a LS trike. Reiterating here, at highway speeds, these newer trikes ride equally as or better than any three wheeled vehicle on the market ! It's just the slower speeds over any irregularity like speed bumps, entering or leaving on/off streets, that will shake the handlebars violently ! It's just the geometry and wheelbase of a 3-wheeled machine. Thanks again, Craig
it is the geometry for sure Craig...all other trikes..HDs, Hondas etc are prone to that...I think V8 Choppers are not as bad because of the length of them...have a good one
CanuckHoss

SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

There was a steering damper already installed on my trike when I got it from MIKE THE STRIPE and no matter what bumps or speeds it went there was no shake. Even the bikes can use one of them, there is no downside to them and they might prevent a speed wobble some day. Just another nice touch on the new bikes. They should be standard with the bracket welded to the frame, not an aftermarket bolt on.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Take the dampner off Dave and let go of the bars at 5 mph...SHIT will HAppen!! on 2006 and down trikes Boss Hoss...2007 and up were ok due to change in neck
CanuckHoss

SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

I sold a 2012 BOSS hoss trike and the customer complained about the shake. All I know is the trike I owned with a damper did not shake. Bikes are different but a damper would be good on them also. My bike does not have any problems with wobbles etc but if I ordered a new one I would like one on it. Fifty or sixty thousand dollars should get those kind of things standard in my opinion. The trike suspensions with a set of belts to keep the suspension from extending to much is another sore spot to me but I'm not considering buying a trike, just a bike.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Ron Radulski

Post by Ron Radulski »

Barry, with #12 you might want to note, mechanical fuel pump with carb only, that is if they start producing Boss Hoss's with carbs again.
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Triker wrote:Barry, with #12 you might want to note, mechanical fuel pump with carb only, that is if they start producing Boss Hoss's with carbs again.

I am hoping that Rick will understand the different applications for Fi and carb'd...otherwise we are in trouble...lol
CanuckHoss

TXscooterguy

Post by TXscooterguy »

SQ4MN wrote:All I know is the trike I owned with a damper did not shake.
I recently installed a damper on my 2015 Coupe. After riding thousand of miles without one, I can tell you that for me the difference the damper made was amazing. The ride in my opinion is much smoother. The only drawback is in tight maneuvering you have to put a little more oomph into the handlebars.
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

Hi Barry - thanks for starting this thread - another option to keep a running list is for you to copy each suggestion and you edit your first/original post and paste. This way it will be easier for Ricky/factory to see the suggestions without having to scroll through all the posts. Just a thought :mrgreen:

:thanks:

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Iron Maiden wrote:Hi Barry - thanks for starting this thread - another option to keep a running list is for you to copy each suggestion and you edit your first/original post and paste. This way it will be easier for Ricky/factory to see the suggestions without having to scroll through all the posts. Just a thought :mrgreen:

:thanks:
That is an awesome idea...I was tossing around how it could work better..having the dialogue after suggestions is really good and I was finding the list getting lost...your suggestion fixes that...I will get on it...Thank you :canada: :canada:

So everyone please ready first post again...thanks
CanuckHoss