Bike / trike changes we want the Factory to address

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
Cheezyrider_2

Re: Bike / trike changes we want the Factory to address

Post by Cheezyrider_2 »

Grand Canard wrote:
Clint44 wrote:Trike triple trees with similar rake & trail numbers as the KewlMetal units. Power steering without any headshake.

Nicer running boards. The standard units look like an afterthought. Offer a few board options.

More wheel options for trikes. Offer a wheel/tire delete option so customers can install what they want w/o paying for it,twice.

Billet aluminum trunk prop-rods on the trikes. Get rid of the gas struts.

A few different radiator shroud options would be nice.

Stainless exhaust header option.

Better LED lighting on front & rear of both bikes & trikes.

A few different seat options.
Greatly appreciate suggestions from all, keep em coming.
I want to hear from BH Trike owners that have a Kewl Metal rake; how does it ride, handle at low and high speed, over bumps, etc etc, anything about Kewl Metal or being raked-out that you don't like?
Rick
My 2012 Gangsta with Kewlmetal rides great riding down the road but I do get a lot of wobble at slow speed with bumps or pot holes
Clint44

Post by Clint44 »

Cheezyrider_2 wrote: My 2012 Gangsta with Kewlmetal rides great riding down the road but I do get a lot of wobble at slow speed with bumps or pot holes
Our 2006 57 with them never had any headshake. I didn't install them for ride quality which was a good thing as they didn't improve it,at all. Greatest benefit was the reduction in steering effort. Loved the raked look,too. Only downside,IMO,was increased "twitchiness" at speeds of over 100mph.
Clint & Sherry
2006 Boss Hoss 57 trike (sold)
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

I drove a couple LS3 bikes and LS3 and LS300 trikes. I don't like the throttle lag on acceleration or deceleration...hopefully that can be programmed out or in...depends how you approach it.

Also would like to see an optional batwing style / normal HD style fairing available. I have done quite a few Hoppe fairings and they are awesome...there are others too. Memphis shades makes a plain faring with no inner if someone does not want a stereo.
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
TXscooterguy

Post by TXscooterguy »

CanuckHoss wrote:I drove a couple LS3 bikes and LS3 and LS300 trikes. I don't like the throttle lag on acceleration or deceleration...hopefully that can be programmed out or in...depends how you approach it.
I picked up my first Boss Hoss last September at the rally. It's a 2015 Coupe that was used as a demo trike. Not having owned one before, I had no reference for comparison. I ran into a problem when I pulled up to a toll booth and put the trike in Park. The engine RPM would not come down to idle. The dealer was able to determine that there was a problem with the ECM and ordered a replacement under warranty. The difference between the two ECMs was amazing. The new one is much smoother. The original, with very little throttle twist, would quickly downshift and "roar." The new one is much more automobile-like, yet when you twist it, you get the roar." I'm thinking ECM programing is the heart of how these units ride and feel. If the factory puts in a dyno that works for trikes, I'd ride over and have it tuned with the latest program.
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

I had to take the seat and side panels off my BH today, The screws that hold them on used to be a problem but a friend of Barrys made some special nuts to replace the stock parts and Iv'e never had trouble since. The factory may have already fixed that issue since my bike is a 2003. If not Barry probably remembers the fix which works good and should be stock on the new ones.
Another problem on the bikes, at least the old ones, was the alternator bracket. After breaking 3 of them I redesigned mine and never had another problem. Possibly that also has already been changed on later models.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

SQ4MN wrote:I had to take the seat and side panels off my BH today, The screws that hold them on used to be a problem but a friend of Barrys made some special nuts to replace the stock parts and Iv'e never had trouble since. The factory may have already fixed that issue since my bike is a 2003. If not Barry probably remembers the fix which works good and should be stock on the new ones.
Another problem on the bikes, at least the old ones, was the alternator bracket. After breaking 3 of them I redesigned mine and never had another problem. Possibly that also has already been changed on later models.
Dave,

I believe I still have a couple sets kicking around for conversions...I have changed most bikes that I have bought to them

http://www.destinationcycles.com/BossHo ... teners.htm
CanuckHoss

SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Those things worked great, the new bikes should all come with them.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
TXscooterguy

Post by TXscooterguy »

How about putting an "accessory" feature on the ignition switch. That would allow you to use the 12 volt cigarette socket to charge a cellphone or laptop without having the headlight on.
Grand Canard

Post by Grand Canard »

So here was everyone's chance, first time EVER that the factory asked for your input; I really expected a lot more suggestions and ideas, you'll are too damn easy.

Unless we hit a snag, Boss Hoss intends to unveil at Daytona 2 awesome machines, one bike and one trike that is going to blow the top-off of anything that Boss Hoss has ever previously offered. Did I mention AWESOME already??

These 2 machines will be for sale, and additionally available for order; V8 bikers are going to freak-out and drool over these machines.
Neither come with a Carl-Cock valve though!! Time was too short.

You can ask, but I won't tell; it's a surprise remember?
Hope to see you'll at Daytona!

Rick

"Work when you have to,
Quit when you can.
Follow your dream
Be your own man.
Drink when you're thirsty
Whoop when you're high.
Love a good woman...
Ride till you die."
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

:england:

Rick, you don't hang about - 2 new models so soon!, bikes not forgotten and you still have time to check in to the ole 'hood here, much appreciated! You know we'll tell it like it is.

I wish I could get to Daytona but hope you'll have promo videos for us stuck over here in the cold.
Gordon from England
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Grand Canard wrote:So here was everyone's chance, first time EVER that the factory asked for your input; I really expected a lot more suggestions and ideas, you'll are too damn easy.

Unless we hit a snag, Boss Hoss intends to unveil at Daytona 2 awesome machines, one bike and one trike that is going to blow the top-off of anything that Boss Hoss has ever previously offered. Did I mention AWESOME already??

These 2 machines will be for sale, and additionally available for order; V8 bikers are going to freak-out and drool over these machines.
Neither come with a Carl-Cock valve though!! Time was too short.

You can ask, but I won't tell; it's a surprise remember?
Hope to see you'll at Daytona!

Rick
The wait for seeing the Factory setup just became almost unbearable...damn...exciting as hell Rick

We needed excitement within Boss Hoss again and we have it.

Are the Dealers at Holly Hill again??
CanuckHoss

petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

While everybody is just hoping for a relaible / tough / durable transmission ... Allow me to set the bar a little higher.

How about a three speed tranny. My little small block is doing 2600 to 2800 rpm all day when I am cruising down the highway ... kinda makes listening to the radio, talking on the cell phone and texting to friends rather challenging to overcome the noise ...
In all seriousness, what are the chances? I would not even mind having the BH Tranny phrase morph into Play in 1st and 2nd and cruise only in OD ... Just saying.
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

I added the 3 speed tranny request.

Also...if I ever miss a suggestion would someone / anyone please speak up..I am not infallible....thanks
CanuckHoss

Grand Canard

Post by Grand Canard »

petitemoose wrote:While everybody is just hoping for a relaible / tough / durable transmission ... Allow me to set the bar a little higher.

How about a three speed tranny. My little small block is doing 2600 to 2800 rpm all day when I am cruising down the highway ... kinda makes listening to the radio, talking on the cell phone and texting to friends rather challenging to overcome the noise ...
In all seriousness, what are the chances? I would not even mind having the BH Tranny phrase morph into Play in 1st and 2nd and cruise only in OD ... Just saying.
A 3 speed tranny? In 3rd gear, what would you like to have your cruising RPM be?
Gotta keep cruising RPM above converter stall speed else tranny oil gonna get bloody hot, so would need a 1200-1500 converter stall? You'll be happy but others won't be, will complain can't do a burn-out, etc.
A 3 speed might be a good thing though and worthy of investigation. Regardless, any transmission development will require time and money + several thousand miles of maniac pounding on it before it will EVER be accepted and allowed into production.
Rick

"Work when you have to,
Quit when you can.
Follow your dream
Be your own man.
Whoop when you're high.
Love a good woman...
Ride till you die."
randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

Rick, It's great to hear new products being developed. Even more so the excitement your ideas have brought to "our" boss hoss namesake..By the way I'm a maniac who enjoys pounding things..Let me know if I can help...
phpBB [video]
Grand Canard

Post by Grand Canard »

randy burkey wrote:Rick, It's great to hear new products being developed. Even more so the excitement your ideas have brought to "our" boss hoss namesake..By the way I'm a maniac who enjoys pounding things..Let me know if I can help...
Randy, regarding transmissions, nothing, zero is being developed at this moment and I don't know when I will even begin that long, lengthy project. It hasn't even been a month since we purchased Boss Hoss.
To get a new tranny requires competent transmission company, money for design and engineering, development testing, thousands of miles of road-pounding testing before it will be accepted by me. Furthermore, I fully intend for it to be a drop-in replacement for existing bikes which will make development even more challenging.
I like maniacs, well biker maniacs anyway; I'll keep you in mind whenever Boss Hoss needs a MANIAC!!
Rick
Last edited by Grand Canard on Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

"Work when you have to,
Quit when you can.
Follow your dream
Be your own man.
Whoop when you're high.
Love a good woman...
Ride till you die."
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Yep, I'd be happy with a poundable 2nd and stronger reverse - I wouldn't get use from a 3rd.

I tend to get my kicks in first then settle down to 2nd, I'd just like some fast overtakes in 2nd. And a reverse that I don't have to worry about small hills. Other than that I can live with everything else maybe another to add to the list?

Front axle spacer/bearing correction, other bikes seem to get away with simple drifting out of old bearings and flush fitting new ones. Many guys having issues when replacing front bearings and having to split the wheel! Then to find that if the spacer isn't fully snugged up the new bearings go after 50-100 miles.
Gordon from England
Ron Radulski

Post by Ron Radulski »

Sounds like NO BH bikes for the 2016 model year. Just trikes, right Rick?
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

MY understanding is that Tom has developed a very "poundable" transmission.... albeit with a low oil sump that needs changing / redesign.

No need to discuss that tranny here Rick...I will chat in Daytona with you...
CanuckHoss

SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

I disagree with you Barry. This is the place to discuss the tranny. Good, Bad or otherwise. Rick said that as of the present nothing is being done, he just bought the business and it will take time and money to develop what he wants. I appreciate his honest answer, of course I like many wish it was different. I DON'T THINK YOU SHOULD ENCOURAGE HIM NOT TO TALK ABOUT IT HERE.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

Triker wrote:Sounds like NO BH bikes for the 2016 model year. Just trikes, right Rick?
Rick stated above that he plans to bring a new 2 wheel bike to Daytona

"Unless we hit a snag, Boss Hoss intends to unveil at Daytona 2 awesome machines, one bike and one trike that is going to blow the top-off of anything that Boss Hoss has ever previously offered. Did I mention AWESOME already??"
Grand Canard

Post by Grand Canard »

SRF wrote:
Triker wrote:Sounds like NO BH bikes for the 2016 model year. Just trikes, right Rick?
Rick stated above that he plans to bring a new 2 wheel bike to Daytona

"Unless we hit a snag, Boss Hoss intends to unveil at Daytona 2 awesome machines, one bike and one trike that is going to blow the top-off of anything that Boss Hoss has ever previously offered. Did I mention AWESOME already??"
Correct-Ammundo (What SRF said)

Re. Winter's Tranny, Tom @ Mountain is working that angle but seems to be hitting a wall with Winters; based on Tom's feed-back I'm pessimistic.

Rick

"Work when you have to,
Quit when you can.
Follow your dream
Be your own man.
Whoop when you're high.
Love a good woman...
Ride till you die."
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

Grand Canard wrote:
petitemoose wrote:While everybody is just hoping for a relaible / tough / durable transmission ... Allow me to set the bar a little higher.

A 3 speed tranny? In 3rd gear, what would you like to have your cruising RPM be?
Gotta keep cruising RPM above converter stall speed else tranny oil gonna get bloody hot, so would need a 1200-1500 converter stall? You'll be happy but others won't be, will complain can't do a burn-out, etc.
A 3 speed might be a good thing though and worthy of investigation. Regardless, any transmission development will require time and money + several thousand miles of maniac pounding on it before it will EVER be accepted and allowed into production.
Rick
I may be thinking outside the box OR I may just be spouting off on something I know nothing about ( Probably the latter ) that being said ...
YES sometimes I do ride like a girl and just enjoy the wind in the stubble where my hair used to be and feel the miles passing by under the tires. Those are the days I would want 3rd gear. Cruising along at 80 mph @ 1800 rpm would be ideal. Then there are days when I get 70 miles out of a full tank and find the Nos Bottle empties way too quickly. Those are usually days when I am riding by myself around nobody. I refuse to be "That Guy" that rides stupid and endangers everyone.

I have heard that ATI has come a long way in developing Lock Up converters that no longer destroy output shafts and overload bearings. That 1:1 ratio would go a long way in reducing engine RPM and still allow playing in 1st and 2nd gear on the bulletproof tranny. So maybe instead of an actual 3 speed ... How about a bulletproof 2 speed with an electronic Lock-Up Converter. Just flip a switch to activate and off you go ... If you say it fast enough, it sounds pretty simple
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Ricky , Aside from everything else that has been mentioned I think we need some newly designed Boss Hoss T shirts . I've had my Boss Hoss since 2000 and I don't think the shirt logo design has change in at least 16 years .
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

SQ4MN wrote:I disagree with you Barry. This is the place to discuss the tranny. Good, Bad or otherwise. Rick said that as of the present nothing is being done, he just bought the business and it will take time and money to develop what he wants. I appreciate his honest answer, of course I like many wish it was different. I DON'T THINK YOU SHOULD ENCOURAGE HIM NOT TO TALK ABOUT IT HERE.
Was just giving him the option Dave...whenever he is ready we are...not trying to quiet anything as I don't know anything...lol
CanuckHoss