Broken off screws in mag wheels

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
tjy

Broken off screws in mag wheels

Post by tjy »

As We were leaving Leesburg we stopped for gas and Bill spotted the center cap on one of my blue smoke tires hanging on by one screw, Ironmaiden had a vice grip in her tool bag and we got the screw out. Any ideas on how to get out the broken off screw out of the wheel? My big regular wheels that came with the trike have some broke also. My first guess would be a easy out but these are small screws. Could they be drilled out and retapped? Thanks in advance Tom

mdwdvm

Re: Broken off screws in mag wheels

Post by mdwdvm »

Tom,

I wish I had a good suggestion for you, but I don't. Easy out would be the way I would try - but a challenge with a small screw as you've noted. I'm sure some others will have some ideas.

In fact, since this seems to be a recurrent problem for you..............and given your past exchanges with Iron Maiden on tire size.........I'm wondering if she will suggest that you go to smaller tires to alleviate the situation...... ;)
Mike Wallace - Watertown, MN
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

Ha ha Mike - touché!! But believe it or not the tires he currently has on are smaller than mine ;) just don't mention the smaller engine he has also. :poke:

Tom I don't believe they were broken off so hopefully you just need to get some new screws and thread lock those little fuckers :thumbup:

V8Bikers
Site Admin

Post by V8Bikers »

Tom, I also believe the screws just backed out. If any threads were damaged I should have a tap if you need it.

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard
zyoung

Post by zyoung »

I haven't looked at his the smoke tire rims, but I know for sure on his bigger tires, there is at least one if not more broken screws....
"If it is to be, it is up to me." - Noel Mast

randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

I'm not sure on how big or small the threads are..But I have had "some" success putting a dimple with a center punch in the piece in the rim. And using a LEFT hand drill bit to drill out piece ..sometimes it grabs and turns out remaining piece..If not successful at least now you have a hole for the easy out... :dunno:
phpBB [video]
tjy

Post by tjy »

thanks Randy, That gives me a starting point!! :thumbup: :thanks:

randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

Try using a bit smaller diameter than threads in rim..As to not mess them up.. but size is not real critical in your situation so if needed you can tap out to next size bigger
phpBB [video]
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

It sounds like it is time for a visit to the Youngs man cave for a little wrenching! Who's in? I am really good at keeping everyone hydrated and fetching tools :mrgreen:

V8 Perv
Super Perverator

Post by V8 Perv »

Tom what brand of wheels do you have? I have used American racing wheels for years and never had a problem other than excess tire wear.

Also how about some video of the smoke tires?

....Johnston, Iowa
randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

V8 Perv wrote:Tom what brand of wheels do you have? I have used American racing wheels for years and never had a problem other than excess tire wear.

Also how about some video of the smoke tires?
Gee Perv....... You think the American racing wheels are causing your rapid tire wear??? :funnyshit:
phpBB [video]
V8 Perv
Super Perverator

Post by V8 Perv »

Hell yes what else could it be?

....Johnston, Iowa
randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

you may want to inspect the area around the rear wheels..I suspect that something could possibly be rubbing the tread surface, Thus causing your rapid tread wear... :dunno:
phpBB [video]
tjy

Post by tjy »

:lol: :iagree: :funnyshit: Yup..American racing here too!