Official, this site is theraputical

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
GordonBH

Official, this site is theraputical

Post by GordonBH »

Hi all,

This site rocks! :siterock:

Had a bad heart day Sunday thru Monday, went into Atrial Fibrillation - bad - heart bouncing off the walls like it was playing squash. My usual chemicals didn't flip me back to normal rythym.

So then spent 7 hours in the hands of the medical services who were preparing to put me under for The Big 1,700 Volt Zapper-Paddles - when I got totally focussed on re-reading this board on my smartphone (espec. loved the man walks into a bar - :toofunny: ) and flipped spontaneously into a perfect ECG heart rythym - home run! Discharged without treatment 45 minutes later!

Celebrated by quickly vaporising 3 gallons of premium unleaded gas around Leicestershire - including a 50ft strip of rubber on an M1 on-ramp - my first real burn-out. What a day.

So this site is officially cardio-vascularly recommended.
Gordon from England
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Re: Official, this site is theraputical

Post by Carl La Fong »

I've had A/Fib for about 20 years. I always convert to sinus rhythm spontaneously. The episodes drain me, but once the normal rhythm returns, I'm good to go.
For some reason, that I cannot explain, I haven't had any problems for over 6 months. I should tell my cardiologist, but if it ain't broke, I ain't gonna fix it
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
mdwdvm

Post by mdwdvm »

First encountered a-fib in 2008, secondary to unknown hyperthyroidism that sensitized my heart and eventually led to congestive heart failure. They were unable to shock me back to normal rhythm in ER - spent a week in cardiac intensive care and then 3 months wearing an automatic defribillator vest (in case I went into ventricular fibrillation which is fatal) before the heart desensitized enough they could shock me back to a normal rhythm. (They zapped my thyroid with radiation to kill it and remove the influence of thyroid hormone - so now on lifetime replacement). Then stayed on a couple of preventative meds afterwards to control rhythm.

Fast forward to May 2013 when I found out I was in afib again unbeknownst to me. Zapped me into normal rhythm again and added more drugs. In August 2013 I underwent a catheter ablation procedure where they cauterized the areas of the heart where abnormal pulses are originating. In my case I've been normal (heart wise, but not much else) since then and in fact have gone off of all meds for the heart and only on thyroid replacement and low dose aspirin. I have a 95% chance the afib won't return at this point since having the procedure, which is not everyone's outcome - significant numbers of patients have multiple procedures.

Afib is fairly common, but left unchecked can certainly lead to severe issues in cardiac function and output that become life threatening. My cardiologist prescribed an app for my Iphone from AliveCor that uses a special phone case fitted with two electrode strips where you place your fingers to run an ECG. It allows me to take my own ECG and look for afib (or other issues), but also allows me to email a copy of the ECG strip to my cardiologist for his input if needed. Pretty cool app that requires a prescription for the cover that costs several hundred dollars. (app is free)

http://www.alivecor.com/home

If I'd only know that viewing this site could have relieved me of all these procedures and medications over the years.................damn! :doh:
Mike Wallace - Watertown, MN
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

I am going to take this advice and look at this site several times a day - :siterock:

But all kidding aside glad to hear all you guys are on the road to recovery!! :group_hug:

petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

It seems every Dr. I have ever gone to has decided that I am standing with 1 foot in the grave. Every one of them was just convinced I was going to die and prescribed me tons of meds that did nothing but make me feel like crap.
The last asshat prescribed me something for cholesterol that made my leg muscles cramp up and hurt so bad I could barely walk. I stopped taking it and in 3 days or so I was good again. Went back to the doc and he yelled at me and said I was going back on it. Don't think he was used to patients expressing themselves quite as I did. Doubt he placed his meds where i suggested but if he did maybe he is a better MD for it! That was the last Doc i saw and that was 4 years ago ...never been happier or felt better in my life!

Oh ... And according to the last three ... I am WAY overdue for my Massive heart attack and am supposed to be dead by now.

Glad you guys got your stuff sorted out!
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Looks like a few of us have distributor problems, but while our V8s are running fine then that's all that matters. My wife says I act like I'm 21 - and I justify that by saying my brain was fully developed by 21 and even 21-year olds get medical issues.

Let's face it - some current nursing home residents were brought up with Black Sabbath and Zappa after all.

Sunny today and "working from home" so I'll ask the boss (me) if I can take the day off. I guess then I'll go down to the garage, get my gear on and head for the gas station. It feels like a 6 gallon day.
Gordon from England
ventury

Post by ventury »

Iron Maiden wrote:I am going to take this advice and look at this site several times a day - :siterock:

But all kidding aside glad to hear all you guys are on the road to recovery!! :group_hug:

Bill,,,,iam with you on that,,,,,daily V8 does me wonders

GORDON,,,,,if you need anything bro,,call
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Ventury,

You're a real mate... I'm taking it easy work-wise so that should help. And I am applying V8 therapy.

I'm rocking and rode for 160 miles today all over northants and nearby counties. Great ride. Great therapy.

Did notice one thing tho' and your expertise would be appreciated - a whine/whistle/squeal when twisting it away fast in drive. Difficult to hear over the open pipes and it comes in at about 25mph and disappeares at 60-ish. I am hoping belt squeal because the belt is always hard up to the left of the sprocket when I stop and check (and that's a cheap fix too). Pulls like a train on steroids, responds perfectly to throttle positions and no misses or lack of performance across the range - just the noise. Any ideas?
Gordon from England
ventury

Post by ventury »

GordonBH wrote:Ventury,

You're a real mate... I'm taking it easy work-wise so that should help. And I am applying V8 therapy.

I'm rocking and rode for 160 miles today all over northants and nearby counties. Great ride. Great therapy.

Did notice one thing tho' and your expertise would be appreciated - a whine/whistle/squeal when twisting it away fast in drive. Difficult to hear over the open pipes and it comes in at about 25mph and disappeares at 60-ish. I am hoping belt squeal because the belt is always hard up to the left of the sprocket when I stop and check (and that's a cheap fix too). Pulls like a train on steroids, responds perfectly to throttle positions and no misses or lack of performance across the range - just the noise. Any ideas?

160mile ride ,,,now that's what I call medicine
sounds like the belt giving a little slip on hard throttle,not sure I would worry to much,you can check/measure the movement for piece of mind,check the drive drive belt tension with the tool,and visual for "in line" your Boss sounds like its running well
ride safe buddy
V8 Perv
Super Perverator

Post by V8 Perv »

Very interesting thread since I'm going in at 7am tomorrow for a pacemaker/ defibrillator.

The only therapy that helps me is a good serious burnout or a piece of ass. Since I only have a few hours
before surgery I better get busy.

....Johnston, Iowa
Clint44

Post by Clint44 »

We'll say a little prayer for a safe procedure tomorrow,Perv. My oldest grandson has had a pacemaker for over 22 years. He doesn't need it anymore so they shut it off about 6 years ago.

I've lost over 40lbs since my heart attack a year ago and my perforated gall bladder last month. Helluva way to lose weight but I feel pretty damn good,right now. Have an appointment Friday to see my cardiologist about releasing me to go back to work.
Clint & Sherry
2006 Boss Hoss 57 trike (sold)
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Thanks ventury
I'll have a play the next rainy day.

yesterday's ride was great, still amazed at how an eighth turn allowd me to accelerate past anything safely. this has got to be the best fun on 2wheels full stop.

You were so right about attracting crowds, everywhere, especially bike shops means a crowd gathers to ask what it is etc. And I get let out of junctions all the time now.

To my buddies with heart procedures all the very best wishes and Perv you crack me up with your attitude to life!

take care guys
Gordon from England
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

Checking in on everyone.....

tjy

Post by tjy »

I'm back after my quadruple bypass (100%) blocked, now doing cardiac rehab and I rewarded myself by getting a new Hot rod chopper trike during Stans open house. We sold the Purple BH to my son Zach. We're going to take it to mountain to get some issues fixed this next week. Looking forward to a lot of riding and ralleys! :capwin:

Swiss V8

Post by Swiss V8 »

tjy wrote:I'm back after my quadruple bypass (100%) blocked, now doing cardiac rehab and I rewarded myself by getting a new Hot rod chopper trike during Stans open house. We sold the Purple BH to my son Zach. We're going to take it to mountain to get some issues fixed this next week. Looking forward to a lot of riding and ralleys! :capwin:
Congratulations to your new ride!
:picsorban:
Martin

BHRA President Europe