Tom's ex V8 company...Sabertooth

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
Els

Tom's ex V8 company...Sabertooth

Post by Els »

Has anyone kept up with this company? I went to their website and saw under the list of "events" that Daytona, Myrtle, et al weren't mentioned. Wonder if this is still a going thing. It showed three models although it looked like there was not much more than paint differentiating them.

Has anyone seen them come to any of the websites and post? I'd be interested in what they have to say with respect to that smallblock Ford. I've always questioned the appeal of a 302 in spite of the good hp claims.

I personally miss seeing and hearing what Tom's up to. I haven't seen any of these bikes on the street since Tom was playing with a prototype or two. Would be interesting to see them at Daytona and take a ride if they're there and offering.

Elliot
Image...Todd, North Carolina
Image Image Image
hogv8

Re: Tom's ex V8 company...Sabertooth

Post by hogv8 »

Elvis

Post by Elvis »

Brenda

Post by Brenda »

Elsboss wrote:Has anyone kept up with this company? I went to their website and saw under the list of "events" that Daytona, Myrtle, et al weren't mentioned. Wonder if this is still a going thing. It showed three models although it looked like there was not much more than paint differentiating them.

Has anyone seen them come to any of the websites and post? I'd be interested in what they have to say with respect to that smallblock Ford. I've always questioned the appeal of a 302 in spite of the good hp claims.

I personally miss seeing and hearing what Tom's up to. I haven't seen any of these bikes on the street since Tom was playing with a prototype or two. Would be interesting to see them at Daytona and take a ride if they're there and offering.

Elliot

Don't know if this helps, but in the classified section on this site, there is a post from sabertooth1 and a new bike for sale.
RIDE FREE AND RIDE SAFE!!!

Redtro

Post by Redtro »

Elliot, they are usually set up on Beach Street in front of Mountain B.H.'s display.
Els

Post by Els »

I appreciate the information on the company and bikes. There's a lot of interesting stuff there. Some of it I was aware of from when Tom was part of the company and we chatted. Much I wasn't aware of.

Sure would be interested hearing from someone who either rode one or took a good up close and personal look. The cantaleivered suspension they refer to (soft tail style?), the tranny, air suspension option, and a few other features sounded interesting. I cringe a bit at the two speed with clutch remembering back to the pre '98 days with Boss Hoss. The single speed Hoss w/clutch wasn't my favorite personally but I know a few guys like Steve Barr who enjoyed that setup a bunch. Tom had told me when I talked to him that it was a great deal easier with this clutch than the BH. He also guaranteed full thottle shifts.

They make a good point with respect to power/weight and footprint of the smaller motor. I don't know anything about the 302 in that version so I can't comment. Don't know anyone that raced 'em. Not even sure the distributor up front offers much as far a mechanical unless it can be gotten to without moving the tank. I guess their comment about it being more condusive to motorcycles has something to do with the fit around the seat pan and tank.

There was a lot of negative stuff going around at the onset because Tom ended up bringing a prototype to Daytona that got some bad reviews. Length/stretch, tractor seat and some other issues that gave it a bad start. It appears the look of the current versions are different than what Tom had in Daytona.

It was interesting that in the promotional stuff I just read, they mentioned they thought a few hundred a year was the market at first but they could see it would far exceed that. I haven't seen or heard of one on the street yet and am interested to hear more about them. Perhaps if this thread crossed someone's reading who knew more about them, we could find out some more. If the factory was looking in here, it would be even better. Ahhhh, I know someone! I'm going to get Steve Barr going on this board as he was more glued in to what's with this bike and company than most.

Elliot

Elliot
Image Image Image
SBarrV8

Post by SBarrV8 »

Hi Elliot,

Just found this site after reference to it on V8BikeRiders.

A few answers on Breedlove/Sabertooth from an outsiders' perspective. I have no stock/investment in Breedlove Motorcycles and/or Sabertooth. I have had 2 bikes (a small block and a big block) converted to trikes by Tom. The small block is now a 57 Chevy trike and the big block is a 41 Willys trike. I'm very pleased with both. Highly reliable (but that's another thread on here). Both are tilt bodies (yes, the Willys body can tilt). Both have nice custom design touches.

Tom started Breedlove Motorcycles with financial backing of another individual. My take (not verified facts) is that Tom provided the design/build/test expertise and the other party provided the funds. The production facility was (and still is) in Greer, SC just off of I 85.

Not uncommon for new business startups, the 2 sides developed different visions of what direction to go. Tom left, the name was changed to Sabertooth.

The 'show bikes' that Tom brought to Daytona under the Breedlove Motorcycles name (I have driven both) were just that-show bikes. They were not designed as eventual production bikes. They were long and had the 2 speed Ranger tranny with clutch and chain drive to the rear wheel. They ran 300 or up rear tires. I believe that the first (a blue/white tiger/cat paint scheme) won first in the Rat's Hole for auto engine category. These were designed as show bike's in Tom's style- long with lots of horses. Not for the mass market.

Before then, I supplied an early 'mule' Boss Hoss big block that became one of the first east coast Ranger 2 speed tranny Boss Hosses. I drove it 2-3k, it was designed as an early test since Breedlove Motorcycles was considering this tranny/drive setup for their production bikes. That bike is now my 41 Willys trike with a beefed up turbo 350 and Chevy 10 bolt rear end. The frame on the 'mulke' bike was stretched to accomodate the Ranger tranny. I drove this bike about a year. Many did not like the stretch, I did. The longer wheelbase soaked up the road better and burnouts resulted in less rear wheel drift. Yes, tight turns or low speed parking lot maneuvers sucked. I had zero problem with the 2 speed and clutch, power shift all you want. I drove it back and forth to work, weekends, etc.

After Tom left, the Sabertooth design went in a slightly different direction with body style. I'm not sure if an auto tranny is an option, that was being evaluated but mostly after Tom left. You can judge the new body style for yourself. I have not driven one of the newer models.

As far as I know, Sabertooth is in production. Total numbers/sales- I have no idea. They have a web site and phone contact, call them if any questions.

I do talk to Tom fairly regularly, he is back with his former employer in the engineering design/build industry. He won't make Bike Week as he is on site in another state on a major build project. I suspect that when he returns he will start on a new personal trike in his shop. I saw some preliminary ideas on this but I'll leave it to him to show the product when built. Let's just say well over 600 horses and a unique design.

Hey Elliot- I hear you are gettin a new high performance V8 Chopper. Hey, old buddy old pal- I'm willing to test it for you . Maybe a Key West run? Of course, I would not charge you for this 'service'.
Steve H. Barr
SBarrV8

Feel free to disagree with me- I support your right to be wrong.
Els

Post by Els »

Steve,

What a guy! You'd take my new chopper to the Keys and "test" it for me?! Wow, let me think about it. Will get back to you in a year or two.

Appreciate you jumping in with the history of the bike and company. I know Tom put a lot of time and sweat into that effort and sorry it didn't unfold as planned. Tom is a piece of work. Whole lot of fun to hang with on numerous past Daytona trips. I hope he is able to get back in with bikes or trikes as he has some over the top ideas. His ability to do the bike/trike conversion is too cool. I really thought that unto itself would have been a interesting although limited business effort. I've seen your trikes and they're as fine as it gets. Tom's ability to tilt that Willy's was a great move. I personally have had two trikes both tilt and couldn't imagine working on one otherwise.

The Ranger application apparently is not what Sabertooth is using then? They didn't specify in their advertisement. Only mentioned the name. Trannies have been such a source of interest (and concern) with the V8's so it is naturally an item I find interesting.

Having pulled the trigger with Stan on a V8Chopper, my interest in this stuff is just morbid curiosity. I will probably go by their setup at Daytona as I will all the V8 related "stuff".

Great to see you here Steve. A really cool board that is helping the V8 experience!

Elliot
Image Image Image
SBarrV8

Post by SBarrV8 »

Elsboss wrote:Steve,

The Ranger application apparently is not what Sabertooth is using then? They didn't specify in their advertisement. Only mentioned the name. Trannies have been such a source of interest (and concern) with the V8's so it is naturally an item I find interesting.

Having pulled the trigger with Stan on a V8Chopper, my interest in this stuff is just morbid curiosity. I will probably go by their setup at Daytona as I will all the V8 related "stuff".

Great to see you here Steve. A really cool board that is helping the V8 experience!

Elliot
E, Thanks for the invite. The more sites the better.

If they are advertising a 2 speed clutch I'll bet it's the Ranger IV with Curtis right angle drive. That's what I was running, there have been slight mods to the tranny shift mechanism since mine. Both tranny and rt. angle drive housings were polished and looked nice. Also, the last clutch pull that I tried was much lighter than the first prototype(s). There was 'talk' of an auto trans. based on a powerglide but that was occurring as Tom was leaving so I'm not in the loop on that anymore. After getting the small block converted to a trike for Janice (she wanted something to drive) we had so much fun on it I asked Tom to convert the big block stretch 'mule' to a trike too. That's about the time that Tom left. The Willys trike is a daily driver for me 10-11 mo./yr. now. Janice and I are 'trike geezers' now.

The Ranger IV with Curtis (mine was pro stock chain drive) was fun. Yes, many do not like a chain. I don't care- I see chain on the pro stock drag bikes. Mine needed no adjustment in 2-3k. Pull out from stop smoothly in second when you forget to downshift at a stop. Full throttle shifts, no problem. I've run behind Tom when he laid down 50-60 feet shifting into second at well over 60. I'd have no qualms about running a V8 bike with it. What I'd really like to see is a 4 or 5 speed clutch V8 bike, maybe the old Borg Warner 4 speed or T56 6 speed from the Vettes.

Glad to see you back on a V8. The BMW and Suzuki, while nice, just aren't you. It's kind of like Breedlove w/o a high horsepower V8 trike- it just ain't right.
Steve H. Barr
SBarrV8

Feel free to disagree with me- I support your right to be wrong.
Els

Post by Els »

Steve,

I've had the auto vs manual discussions many times with buds while drinking a brew on a rainy day. I used to use the arguement that in the 23 years I drove Corvettes, I only had one automatic and I traded it 6 months later. Just didn't seem right. There were those during those discussions that than used the drag track as an analogy and asked how many Pro Stock and modified were using manuals? Hmmm, that is one to really ponder when it comes to the bikes. I've never shifted beyond the auto 1st to overdrive on the Boss so I'm not sure if it would be fun to go through the gears or not. One thing's for certain, you could have one helluva 1st and one helluva final gear!

I had talked to Stan about a belt on the chopper. My ex chopper had a chain and it was great. No noise and the only adjusting was when it was new. Stretched it a few times and that was it. With a sealed O-ring chain, no mess. Stan has some concerns about the width of the belt and look necessary to get a big Dayco between frame and tire. Especially with the 300 tire. We'll stretch the chain when new and it's off to the races. I am totally good with them too.

We need to get some pics of yours and Janice's trike on your posts. If you have any digitals, get them up there. They're something to behold! Best,

Elliot
Image Image Image
sabertooth

Post by sabertooth »

Hi Eliott:

Thanks for your interest (morbid curiosity or not) in Sabertooth. We are still around and doing well. And yes, we will be at Daytona, we just hadn’t updated the web site.

Vrrmm (an occasional poster to the other site) has one of our bikes and has put over 17,000 miles on it this summer. He can tell you how the bike handles and give you first-hand insight on his experiences with the transmission etc.

Since Tom left the bike has been redesigned from the ground up. In fact, the new WildCat bears no resemblance to the original bikes introduced in Daytona in ’06. The new WildCat is sleeker with clean lines and a significantly shorter wheelbase. We’ve spent the past 12 months doing extensive testing and analysis on the new design so we could be sure to introduce a bike that was going to be reliable in addition to fun to ride. They’re finally ready for commercial sale through our ever expanding quality dealer network,

Since November we’ve taken the bike to several consumer motorcycle shows, mostly in the Northeast, and gauged the reaction of the attendees. Consumer reactions (even from people who’ve told us they would have never considered riding or owing a V8 bike before seeing and sitting on the WildCat), along with earlier focus group testing is what gave us the insight that the bike had more widespread appeal than we had originally anticipated.

As you correctly pointed out, currently we have only one bike model, the WildCat. It is available in three trim levels. The Midnight WildCat is a blacked out stealth version with attitude, while the WildCat X is a high end version with lots of chrome and some premium options. All of the bikes come standard with a Ford Racing 302 ci, 350 HP V8. More important, because of our unique transmission and shock set-up we are able to transfer more horsepower to the rear wheel under acceleration. We also offer an optional 347 ci, stroker engine on all of the bikes for more horsepower. Finally we offer an optional aluminum engine (302 or 347) on the WildCat X. We also offer an option of fuel injection on all three bikes, as well as an air ride suspension. Some enhancements soon to be introduced include a 3 speed clutchless transmission with reverse. This will be an option, so those who prefer a manual transmission can still get one.

Later this year, we’re going to be introducing a pro-street style bike called the Cheetah. Like the WildCat, it will be availble in three different trim levels. Also on the drawing board for introduction in late ‘08 is a trike, again using the Ford Racing platform.

We’ve had great luck with the Ford engines. When we redesigned the bikes we looked at a number of different V8 engines and the Ford made the most sense from a design and engineering standpoint. Just for claification, we’re not using Ford street engines, these are Ford SVO racing engines.
vrrmm

Post by vrrmm »

Hey all

I'm vrrmm or Bill

I did ride sabertooths for 17,000 miles last year

Let me tell you about my riding experience first, I have been riding street bikes for 28 years. everthing from Harleys to choppers. My currents bikes other than the saberttoth are yamaha stratoliner, honda vtx and 71 triumph chopper.

To me it is all about the ride I want a bike I can ride, not fix, good handling and lots of power.

I didn't think I would ever enjoy a V8 bike however these bike are one of the best handling bikes I have ever riden. I am a convert.

I can't wait to see the pro-street version

since I have been riding them transmission has changed to shift even better and shorter than before. I personally like the manual tranmission.

During last year I had one cooling fan break and that was it.

The bike are great looking and fast as hell. Now I have a problem I don't want to ride my other bikes so what should I do with them?
Sabertooth Wildcat

Els

Post by Els »

Excellent hearing from you guys! Sounds like there's a lot going on and I wish you great success with the bikes.

I have a million and one questions, many regarding the tranny. I'll make it a point to find you guys in Daytona and do the question and answer thing then. Glad to hear you'll be there and myself and others can eyeball everything.

On the Ford vs. Chevy subject, most folks who have attained the age and success factor associated with V8 bike ownership don't get too hung up on brand loyalty. Personally, I've got 2 Chevy's and one Ford in my garage. I could enjoy either as far as motorcycle powerplant. I'm unfamiliar with Ford race products other than what I've seen at the track. There's some great cars out there with Ford under the hood.

Great knowing an MFG is looking in and offers something to say. That unto itself is a point on the plus side. See you in Daytona and thanks again for the info.

Bill, welcome and thanks for that info! I'm real anxious to see the bike. 17,000 miles "last year" is impressive.

You going to be at Daytona? I'd also be real interested to hear some specifics about your tranny. Please give as much detail as you can and as technical as you can regarding the manual tranny. Also curious to how much or how many Boss Hoss bikes you rode or looked at prior to making your decision and why. Although the great majority of folks on these boards have a BH, most are real interested in what's going on with other makes and it's more of a V8 brotherhood than a Boss Hoss thing. To that end, any comparison info that you have will almost certainly be welcome.

Elliot
Image Image Image
vrrmm

Post by vrrmm »

I wll try to answer all the questions I can

The transmission uses a ranger case because making cases is expensive
It has our gears and other modifications to make it easier to shift

I don't know if I will be at Daytona my boss dosen't like time off
Sabertooth Wildcat

vrrmm

Post by vrrmm »

Sorry I forgot the ford chevy thing

the ford engine is thinner, requires less cooling, lighter and most important of all the distributor is in the front letting the back bone to come down further.

Aluminum engines do save wieght but at small gains for large cost so on a 302 engine you saveabout 75 pounds
Sabertooth Wildcat

Els

Post by Els »

Bill,

A long long time ago, in a galaxy far away... I sat with Tom B. and had the Chevy/Ford conversation specifically related to what at the time was Breedlove Motorworks. I know the little Fords are every bit as capable of doing the job that the GM motors do but questioned in terms of numbers, if there weren't more loyal Chevy fans out there than Ford? I don't know that there's a survey to determine. It seemed to me at the track, the GM motors under the hood outnumbered the Fords. Amongst my circle of friends and gear heads there were more smallblock Chevy's than anything else. I'm sure there were other circles were it was just the opposite. The issue to me centered around the marketing aspect of this and if it being a Ford would negatively impact overall sales. I'm sure the Sabertooth folks studied this issue more than my seat of the pants observations.

When I started considering what motor I wanted in my next bike, I was leaning toward a smallblock aluminum motor. I originally thought a WORLD 427 may have been a good choice. In talking to a number of folks and reading 'til my eyes were bleeding, I determined that for the bikes, there were some more important considerations than weight. Comparing an iron 400 c.i. block to an aluminum, there ended up being 90 - 95 lbs diffence in the two. Nothing to sneeze at but not an overwhelming consideration. My bottom line focused more on where the motor was developing power and how it would be applied in the bike which can be very different than a car. I'm ending up with an iron motor that has a bit more weight but ideal distribution characteristics as far as how and when it develops power.

You have a great looking bike. Anxious to see it up close.

Elliot
Image Image Image