Your occupation?

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Your occupation?

Post by V8Bikers »

I wanted to start this thread to ask what everyone does for a living. I know about several members but would like to read in more detail. I find it interesting to find out how people make their living (or if you are retired and from what) and how they got to where they are now (both good and bad).

I'll start, I was was in medical sales but have been unemployed for several years unable to optain a similar positon and looking for the next big thing :D. Have been picking up small side jobs on occasion. I am open to almost any venture and am looking at different franchises, small one/two person businesses that may want to sell out or retire, mail order, rental homes etc.. We are fortunate that Sue has a stable job with a large medical company. If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard
Geezer

Re: Your occupation?

Post by Geezer »

I was a male prostitute, but retired due to lack of interest.

Hey, I am old................. :ohthedrama:

Bill, on a serious note I have no idea what business
would flourish in this economy with-out a ton of
capital.
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

I took a long time to settle into anything. I was a bicycle mechanic, an embalmer, a body man and painter, an auto parts man, a studio transportation driver, a mechanic, a welder and a carpenter. I retired from the carpenter's union three years ago. I am currently a wit, pundit, genius and bitter, opinionated, self absorbed prick.
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
Harold Blocker
Outdrank the Perverator

Post by Harold Blocker »

I am retired. Retired from active duty with the Arkansas Air National Guard in 1991 (Instuctor/Evaluator Pilot). Retired in 2000 from High School Math and Science teacher postition is SE Missouri.
Harold Blocker
Southeast Missouri
hblocker@clgw.net
ImageImage
Puff

Post by Puff »

H.S. and J.H.S. Band Director 1981 - 1992.
ElementarySchool Music Teacher 1992 - present.
AutoZone PSM 2008 - present.
School Bus Driver for field trips and athletics.
Steel Drum Class instructor.
Jazz Musician(Saxes, Bass Guitar).
TAPS player for military funerals.(Also for PGR).
Ride Captain for the Patriot Guard Riders.(Tn.)
Orchestral Clarinetist.
V 8 BIkes & Trikes lover :ridding:
Bill Van Sant

petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

I sell, Install and Repair Car Wash Equipment in Central Florida.
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
Paul H

Post by Paul H »

I'm an owner/operator of a dump truck. Been driving my own truck for 24 years.
I have about a million and a half miles in my trucks. The last 4 years have been
very diffecult due to lack of work. I have worked for DuPont, then 3 years in the
US ARMY. I was a machinist for about 12 years and that's when my knees went
out, so I got a job driving a dump and then bought my own in1988.

Paul H
Smoke'em

Post by Smoke'em »

Sold cars became new car auto dealer at 28, went bust actually BK. Took what I knew from being an auto dealer for 20 years and moved it to the internet. Basically helped educate the consumer so they could buy a car like I could as a dealer. It took off like crazy, went public and I got further ahead than where I ever was. Today run/own a spa/wellness marketing company....pretty good size in the space and international. Couple of tech companies I started/founded and moved those along also in the last 10 years...basically got lucky and a life back after hitting a wall. I think I take chances in business and have been gone up and down. Do not like down but my chance taking swings the pendulum a bit.

And John you are a prick but a treat to read, glad to come over here and see your posts.....now please be kind.

"Speed costs money. How fast do you wanna go?"
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

KABOOM wrote:

And John you are a prick but a treat to read, glad to come over here and see your posts.....now please be kind.
For me, it's a badge of honor. :2up:
I have butted heads with more than a few people, usually over some minor issue that they have put their own irrational spin on and then ran with it. :handjob:
For instance, never suggest that BH might want to consider some minor upgrades to make their bikes more owner/user friendly. It is, evidently, V8 motorcycle board blasphemy unless, of course, certain anointed individuals make the statement. Then it's canon. The problem with genius is, it is, rarely, recognized in one's own lifetime :rofl:
v8eyedoc

Post by v8eyedoc »

I thought that i wanted to be a veterinarian BUT cat allergies put the kybosh on that - so after graduating from Boston University, I became an organic chemist doing eye research for 6 years and became very interested in the human eye - SOOOOOO - back to Optometry School for 4 more years of schooling and have never regretted it......for the past 39 years. I have helped people, restored vision and unfortunately diagnosed some with eye disease... I have been riding motorcycles since 1959 and thru the years have always had one thing or another and at almost 72 years old - still full of piss & vinegar.... Thank God...
"Ride when it is sunny - Work when it rains!"
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

My occupation is an ultrasonographer, my career path follows very close to V8eyedoc. I too wanted to become a veterinarian but after a 2 year animal science program at UConn, I started to work in a research lab with miniature pigs. That is where I was introduced to performing ultrasound exams. I was accepted into the Yale New Haven Hospital Sonography program. After graduating, Yale employed me as a staff Sonographer. Once married we decided to move to Florida, I worked for a mobile company for 4 years before accepting a position with an ultrasound manufacturing company, Philips Healthcare. In June I will be celebrating my 19 year anniversary with them. Wow where has the time gone???!!!!

Ponch

Post by Ponch »

I found my love in the Air.
I am a retired Corperation pilot. Spent 32 years with the company ,45 years flying in total.

Never had to go to work never had a Job! What a joy it ws!!!
see ya bye
Ponch

Image...............................................Image
..Ft Myers, FL. 33905..............................................Springfield, IL. 62712
v8eyedoc

Post by v8eyedoc »

Ponch wrote:I found my love in the Air.
I am a retired Corperation pilot. Spent 32 years with the company ,45 years flying in total.

Never had to go to work never had a Job! What a joy it ws!!!

Ponch..........isn't it great to have a job that you really enjoy and love.??? It is NEVER really work at all..and that is exactly how i feel - still after 39 years of practice.... :what_he_said: :iagree:
"Ride when it is sunny - Work when it rains!"
Ponch

Post by Ponch »

Good for you Sure did make life eaasier!
:D
see ya bye
Ponch

Image...............................................Image
..Ft Myers, FL. 33905..............................................Springfield, IL. 62712
Buck
$ite $upporter

Post by Buck »

am totally retired. Initially I started out in banking and quickly decided that I didn't like it, then went into the criminal justice arena and then full time criminal justice instruction in the community college system and furthered my education with a Masters in CJ. Received special certifications in a CJ law enforcement instructor with certified specialties as a Driving instructor, Explosives and HazMat First Responder instructor, Firearms instructor, Carry Concealed instructor and a Law Enforcement Instructor Evaluator. Retired 6 years ago and bummed around doing part-time instruction until last year when a local college called me and asked me to administer a couple of programs for them on a 4 day a week basis. Did it for a year and knew that it was time to hang it up permanently which I did last month. Wife and I now enjoy doing fix-it-up stuff around home and at our small place on the coast. Will now do some traveling, like Sturgis this August and then 2 weeks in Daytona in October. No telling what next year will bring, hopefully good stuff.
Buck
Last edited by Buck on Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clint44

Post by Clint44 »

I work for PPG Industries in the largest flat glass factory in the world,over 40 acres under roof. Started off as operator of one of their two glass furnaces but I've been in the Maintenance Dept for most of my career there. Will be starting my 40th year of service in January with plans to retire in Jan.2016. Sherry is already retired and we plan to do a lot of traveling,after I retire.
Clint & Sherry
2006 Boss Hoss 57 trike (sold)
Dip Shit 434

Post by Dip Shit 434 »

Oilfield service rep, we build offshore derricks, install equipment, equipment upgrades, repairs, anything to do with the oil derricks. we also do land rig inspections, thus we get to travel alot. been at this for going on 16 years. before that did ironworking around Houston. machinery moving, rigging, built some of the buildings downtown houston and surrounding area, set up and take down of tower cranes, structural power plant mainentance, building of south texas nuclear project.
Darryl
Shriner

Post by Shriner »

I was a car dealer for many years, and now i am dealing in handicap vans and all types of mobility equipment.

Gil
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

In the last 40 years I have only worked 8 years for someone else..that was 1 year...2001 as a salesman for Indian Motorcycles and then 7 years - 73 to 80 I was a computer Programmer / Analyst for Gov't.

80 to 97 I Farmed a couple thousand acres
94 to present I own and operate from a distance a Cellular Store
2004 to present I own and operate Destination Cycles...my PASSION!!
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Graduated Masters in Psychology entered financial services, in banking most of my life, then Management in State Education, now run my own consultancy, I'll never have a day job again. If I want to take the bike out I ask 'the boss' - he always says yes.
Gordon from England
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

I put the plastic ends on shoelaces till my eyes went bad.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Ric

Post by Ric »

Hahaha Dave… now THAT is a career!

I started young, I joined the Military early at 16, because the C.O. and my dad were friends. I was Combat communications. In two years I 'Remustered' (Changed branches) and became a Military Firefighter. I spend about 15 years connected to the Canadian Armed Forces then became a Refrigeration and Heating mechanic in the trade perspective. For about two years I worked as a Quality Control Tech for a Harley motorcycle frame building shop known as "Tripoli Frames". I also worked as a Parts person/counter sales for for a Plumbing and Heating wholesale house, then back into the trades as a tech again.

The last company I worked for, hired me on to train their current techs as their Service Manager. After a year of that I went out on my own to start my own Heating and Air Conditioning company as a 'one man' operation. And then heath issues stalled that out for now. Been off the tools for about 4 years, and since discovered the health issues were cause by exposure from chemicals while in the Military as a Fire Fighter, so Canadian Veteran Affairs stepped up and helps me out until we finally fix this. I hope to get into fabbing bike parts for all bikes, as we have been outfitting our plumbing and heating shop with Welders, Lathe, soon to acquire Milling Machine, and all bending and grinding equipment to switch gears and put out stuff like that.

Never made big money in any way. Just enough to keep the wolf in the woods, as opposed to right at my door. :D

"Keep the magic alive!" He said.

Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

SQ4MN wrote:I put the plastic ends on shoelaces till my eyes went bad.
ag·let
noun \ˈa-glət\
Definition of AGLET
: the plain or ornamental tag covering the ends of a lace or point

I was gonna open a whore house. I figured I could run the place by hand until I could afford to hire some girls
EAGLE

Post by EAGLE »

I got the Aviation bug at three when my Air Force father plunked me down in the cockpit of an F4 Fantom. Got the motorcycle bug at four from my first ride on a mini bike (rear passenger), actually have a pic of it. I sold kid stuff to other kids on the corner at this time also. Started at seven working the fields and raising over 500 chickens, rabbits, ducks and assorted other critters. I'm an award winning rabbit raiser. At nine I and until fifteen I was playing sanctioned fast ball at third base and pitcher, and played on the All Star team every year but the year we won first place. Started my first outside the family job at 11 working as a stock boy in a family owned convenience store. I started my second business at 12, mowing lawns for about 63 customers. At this same time I was working the weekends on a farm averaging 6000 pounds of tomatoes a day picked. In my spare time I was captain of an archery team (Highest Archer) and helped my father with sighting in friends and coworkers rifles. I was also saving for my first motorcycle. I bought a used TS 250 Suzuki at 12. By 16 I was attending two different high schools, studying Martial Arts, and working at Suzuki Ann Arbor. I was racing two AMA sanctioned events a week plus practice sessions and conducting my own maintenance. I graduated high school almost a year early and went to work with my father on the line for Ford Motor Company. Laid off after a year I went to work for the county of Washtenaw doing things like receiving clerk, mail currier and bus driver for Foster Grandparents. I also threw in at this time community college classes in business management and welding. My third distraction at this time was as a bouncer in the most dangerous bar in the States. More on that some other time. Lets just say that that's the reason I talk too much. I started taking flying lessons around this time and quickly found out about the US Army High school to Flight School program. Ten hours off the plane from Basic Training where I graduated as Trainee Leader of the Cycle, I crashed at about 140mph on my 1987 GSXR 1100. I broke my back in four places, two ribs and put a knot on my head half the size of a tennis ball through a brand new Arai helmet. I was thrown 178.5 feet according to the accident report. I walked away until a Paramedic buddy of mine who lived up the street found me where after making eye contact with him, he says I collapsed like a rag doll. I never told the Army about my back, just the ribs and the flight surgeon was too lazy to read the whole report. Lucky me!!! I took a Ft. Rucker Physical Training Test three weeks later and almost went into shock. OUCH! 23 years later I am a retired Master Aviator, Instructor Pilot, Aviation Safety Officer and Tactical Operations Officer and spent the last five years in as a Concepts and Requirement Projects Officer (think tank, there was no escape). The Army tells me that I have accumulated 296 college credits, but I hold no degree. I thood be sthmart! Since my retirement I have worked as a Combat Military Helicopter Simulator Operator Instructor, I have written US Army UH-60M Maintenance Test Pilot Officer courseware and am currently working as the TFPS CH-47F Chinook Instructor/Operator Pilot on Biggs Army Airfield, Ft. Bliss, El Paso Texas. I'm tired....... But the BEAST is done!!! I am going to pick her up from Texas Boss Hoss the week after Christmas. Thank You Brother Curtis! All is well!
Sleep In Peace Tonight!
EAGLE!!!!!
Cryoman

Post by Cryoman »

I am self employed building and selling Cryogenic equipment for transferring Liquid Nitrogen, Liquid Oxygen, Liquid Hydrogen, Liquid Helium and CO2. Its a small industry that takes me all over the world. Neat to see so many different Industries also. Unfortunately I am not good at Burnouts.
2006 Boss 502.JPG
Attachments
IMG_0265.JPG