Bill's Factory Spy Secrets,,,,,

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
hogv8

Re: Bill's Factory Spy Secrets,,,,,

Post by hogv8 »

Are you talking about the slight momentary lurch forward when you start your bike when it's cold ? I thought they all do that .

Jack
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

hogv8 wrote:Are you talking about the slight momentary lurch forward when you start your bike when it's cold ? I thought they all do that .

Jack
Jack,

I think they all want to pull ahead in neutral when cold..nature of the beast.

If I have to go before the tranny is warm..say in less than 5 minutes of run time... I just take it easy..everybody starts their car and just boggies away so I am thinking as long as I don't rag on it ALL IS WELL!
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

hogv8 wrote:Are you talking about the slight momentary lurch forward when you start your bike when it's cold ? I thought they all do that .

Jack
Wildman may be talking about a conversation I have had with him but I was assuming that he was referring to a recommendation to warm the bike with the transmission in gear instead of neutral so that the planetaries would not be moving. I think that was a early conversation when some of the fluid changes were being made. I thought it was Tom or Adrian that had said that but it has been a long time. If it was a conversation I had with him it is likely about the heavy duty clutch plates I had in my previous transmission. The had a very bad drag when cold you could not walk away from the bike idling on the side stand unless the parking brake was applied. After 20,000 miles when my transmission got damaged in the parking lot and broke the case the clutches were rather dark and I considered that combination of that drag on cold start and idling for extended times.

Shane
Redtro

Post by Redtro »

I don't put mine in neutral at red lights unless I'm going to be there awhile...because of some hold up. I've not noticed anyone else doing any different either.
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I'm in the habit of letting my bike warm up on fast idle (1500rpm ) for a few min. when starting up cold so there's no way I could do this in gear . I don't like to let my engine idle slow when it is cold because I feel it is laboring . With over 55,000 miles on my A model 2 speed with a few upgrades and it still works perfectly I guess I shouldn't be looking to change my routine but I'm always all ears when I hear suggestions or any ideas that will prolong it's life .

Jack