V8Chopper - Bullet Fast

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
Clint44

Re: V8Chopper - Bullet Fast

Post by Clint44 »

I didn't know Fred personally but knew who he was,a pretty active fella in the ultralight community. My flying partner and I always wanted to fly down to Lakeland but unfortunately,we never accomplished that feat.

A LancAir IV cruises almost 350mph but probably cost $250-500K to build. My four Challenger II Clipwing Specials cost around $15-20K each to build and my composite Mark Brown Starlite cost about $20K. All were powered by Rotax two-stroke aircraft engines. The Challengers had 52hp 503's and the Starlite had a 42hp 447cc. The Challengers would cruise at 85mph (4gph @ 75% power) with a top speed around 105. The Starlite would cruise at 125mph (2.5gph @ 50% power) with a top speed near 160mph. My Challengers took from 400-500 hours to build and the Starlite around 600hrs. My partner and I owned a 40'x150' three-hangar complex where we built aircraft from 1988-96. I learned how to fly in a Cessna T-41 (military version of C172) at Sheppard AFB's Aero Club,then transitioned in homebuilts because they are so much more fun to fly.
Oops,sorry for being so long-winded. Flying was another serious passion of mine.
Clint & Sherry
2006 Boss Hoss 57 trike (sold)
Clint44

Post by Clint44 »

Here's a photo of my Starlite experimental before its maiden flight. Imagine a 260lb composite single-seater that is fully aerobatic and can turn & do loops like an R/C model. :mrgreen:
Clint & Sherry
Els

Post by Els »

Clint,

Absolutely beautiful birds! Yes, it's amazing how much more versatile, efficient and fun the experimental composites are.

I used to be a cynic citing all the airframe hours and rivets the production tin cans had insuring one that the wings wouldn't rip off coming out of cloud but I got rid of those backward notions pretty long time ago. Slick, slippery, strong...the composites are awesome!

My missions required lots of flying dealing with weather and must go scenarios, often lots of baggage including multiple seats with passengers required, etc. Radar, de-icing, lots of avionics pretty well necessary so I didn't have the luxury of getting involved in the fun stuff unfortunately.

I still have an itch with the flying inflatables from time to time. Useful load and what they can do with respect to water are really impressive and beckon me. The thought of skimming the mangroves with a passenger and a couple of ultralight fishing rods but having a service ceiling of about 10,000' and an 80 mph top speed keep me on the cusp of pulling the trigger. Not to mention the ability to t/o and land water or terrain. I've got to read more and get comfy about a Rotax. Damn things sound like mosquitoes trying to tear themselves apart. I guess a V8 is out of the question for that role, ha ha.

Els
Image...Todd, North Carolina
Image Image Image
acrophil

Post by acrophil »

Aviation Toys have been the most intense fun. Inverted pass at 20 ft and 240 plus is a real adrenaline rush. Just gave up the airshow stuff this year, still fly a King Air 300 for some folks and have a twin Commanchee to tote me and the wife around.

Phil
Attachments
SU26-SP95-02 (Medium).jpg
IM001352.JPG
airshowunltd 040.jpg
airshowunltd 002.jpg
airshowunltd 001.jpg
Clint44

Post by Clint44 »

Is that bottom bird a Sukhoi 31,Phil?
Clint & Sherry
Clint44

Post by Clint44 »

Els wrote:Clint,
Absolutely beautiful birds! Yes, it's amazing how much more versatile, efficient and fun the experimental composites are.
I still have an itch with the flying inflatables from time to time. Useful load and what they can do with respect to water are really impressive and beckon me. The thought of skimming the mangroves with a passenger and a couple of ultralight fishing rods but having a service ceiling of about 10,000' and an 80 mph top speed keep me on the cusp of pulling the trigger. Not to mention the ability to t/o and land water or terrain. I've got to read more and get comfy about a Rotax. Damn things sound like mosquitoes trying to tear themselves apart. I guess a V8 is out of the question for that role, ha ha.
Els
Thanks for the compliments,guys. That time of my life was alot of fun and gave me more than a few serious rushes!

Elliot,check out Quad City's Challenger II long wing with amphibious floats. I got to fly one off Wisconsin's Lake Winnebago and had the time of my life. Those Rotax aviation engines are very light,powerful,and dependable. I wouldn't hesitate to fly crosscountry with one and have actually done so many times.

You're way outta my league with those birds,Phil. Aerobatics is something I couldn't get the hang of. :D
Clint & Sherry
Els

Post by Els »

Phil,

I often miss my Twin Comanche. Had it configured for 4, fuel burn about 16 gph and around 160 kts. What a great little bird. The IO 360's were great then and with today's spiraling fuel costs, necessary to make any non biz flight affordable.

I felt I just had to have radar in the nose and did actually have some significant payload requirements which moved me to a E model Aztec. Although the Aztruck fulfilled the need for more space and comfort, it did so at a significantly higher fuel burn and not that much more speed. It was also like going from a sports car to a SUV as far as handling. From there I went to an Aerostar (normally aspirated 600A) and then back to an Aztec. Now I'm without. :cry:

Aerobatics...I'm too much into flying to great airport eateries. Bagels & lox for breakfast, Reubens for lunch, steak and potatoes for dinner...just doesn't want to stay down when you're upside down! :oops: I did log some upside time in a Decathalon with a very pretty female instructor.

Clint, I'll definitely take a look at the Challenger with the floats. Have you seen the flying inflatables I was talking about? In the neighborhood of $25k last I checked depending on model. I occasionally see one buzzing around here and am really taken with the concept. Not a real "get around" craft but pretty wild looking to see a Zodiac airborn with 2 aboard and fishing poles hanging over the side! :shock:

Els

Els
Image Image Image
Clint44

Post by Clint44 »

Els wrote:Clint, I'll definitely take a look at the Challenger with the floats. Have you seen the flying inflatables I was talking about? In the neighborhood of $25k last I checked depending on model. I occasionally see one buzzing around here and am really taken with the concept. Not a real "get around" craft but pretty wild looking to see a Zodiac airborn with 2 aboard and fishing poles hanging over the side! :shock:
Els
A flying Zodiac sounds kinda wild,Elliot. Can you post a photo or a link? I'd like to check one out.
Clint & Sherry
Els

Post by Els »

Clint44 wrote:
Els wrote:Clint, I'll definitely take a look at the Challenger with the floats. Have you seen the flying inflatables I was talking about? In the neighborhood of $25k last I checked depending on model. I occasionally see one buzzing around here and am really taken with the concept. Not a real "get around" craft but pretty wild looking to see a Zodiac airborn with 2 aboard and fishing poles hanging over the side! :shock:
Els
A flying Zodiac sounds kinda wild,Elliot. Can you post a photo or a link? I'd like to check one out.

I'm including a link to polaris as well as the main player, FIB. When Phil sees that link, he will disappointingly see he's not the only one with a very cool trike! :shock:

http://www.flyinginflatableboats.com

http://www.polarismotor.it/

Els 8-)
Image Image Image
Clint44

Post by Clint44 »

This link will get your motor running! :D
http://www.quadcitychallenger.com/
Clint & Sherry